Warhammer 40K

Beowulf

Wow, it sure is bright out here away from the NGD discussion boards...

anywho...

Does anyone have any conversion resources for Warhammer 40K to FRED? Gonna try to introduce a group of war gamers to RPGs but I don't know Warhammer well enough to do the conversion myself.

Thanks in advance to any who can assist.

Guest Champsguy

There's one listed on this very board. I saw it a few days ago. It's probably just a page or two down (actually, it's a link to an old discussion on the old boards).

Hmm... my bad. It's actually in the "Star Hero" section. I believe there was a larger one on the old boards, but my memory is fuzzy.

Anyway, I did a conversion system of my own a few years ago. I never was happy with it, for a few reasons. 1: The stats for Warhammer weapons have changed from edition to edition (Assault Cannons used to be the god weapons, now they suck). 2: The game stats are different from the fiction. In the game fiction, a Space Marine is a superhuman stomper of ass. Game stat-wise, he's got a decent chance to be killed by an imperial guardsman. If you're converting stat-wise, I think Marines ended up being something like 15 Str, Dex, and Con. Marine armor was somewhere around 8/8.

You can go here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/markdoc/Inquisitor/inquistor_index.htm

It's a by-the-rules conversion - I've never read much WH40k fiction and what I did read - well, I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

As for the Space Marines, I was a bit worried that they were too wimpy as well, but in my one-off games everybody always seemed to end up hiding behind the marines - even without horrendous stat.s, that kick-ass armour and some decent weapons seemed to be sufficient.

cheers, Mark