Firefly

Spence

Re: Firefly

Sounds like good material for an E-book - and really if it was done well perhaps it would be possible to arrange a reasonable official liscense.

Anyone see anything about the Firefly moved that was supposed to be in the works?

From what I've read on fireflyfan.net production has wrapped on Serenity and is scheduled for release in April 2005

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a d20-friendly deckplan of Serenity which is easily found via Google. There's also a hard-core accurate version of Serenity which can be found on fireflyfans.net (go to Blue Sun Room, Graphics, look for stuff by gaidheal).

I've pretty much talked myself into running Firefly HERO next Gen Con, so I'm going to be writing up the characters and will probably post them here for comment.

Takes a lot of scrolling to find the deck plans, so here's some links :

http://www.fireflyfans.net/sunroomitem.asp?i=704

http://www.fireflyfans.net/sunroomitem.asp?i=705

Enjoy!

• 10 months later...

A friend lent me his DVD collection of Firefly. It's like watching live-action COWBOY BEBOP. I keep expecting Spike and the rest to wander by in the background. Sure wouldn't suprise me any. Pity Fox yanked it.

I think Live-action COWBOY BEBOP is is the best description I've seen yet. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings!

I watched most of the original series when it was being aired on Fox. I was fascinated, but confused by the apparent lack of continuity. Then, I discovered how Fox had done Joss a dirty trick by airing the episodes out of order.

When the series came out on DVD, I jumped at the chance to get them and I've finally watched every episode in its proper order. It's amazing how much more sense it all makes now.

I only have one regret about the DVDs. When the shows were originally aired, they started every episode with a monologue. At first, this monologue was spoken by Capt. Mal but, in later episodes, they gave the job to Shepherd Book. It was kinda like Capt. Kirk's "Space... the final frontier." speech in that it contained a lot of background information about the setting... then, they'd segue into the opening theme song.

I really enjoyed that monologue. I was very disappointed that they didn't include it in the DVD set... they could have, at least, put it in the bonus tracks.

Just recently, I saw the trailer for the movie... I've been pumped ever since! If I can locate the link, I'll post it here for anyone who's interested.

I am curious if anyone else sensed the movie does not have the same feeling as the series? I am just being cynical' date=' but I fear the movie will be all about the special effects instead of about the characters.[/quote']

The movie very much has the same feel as the series. One of the people I left the theatre with said that he thought it was a 2 hour long episode with a better special f/x budget.

I personally thought that overall production quality was better than the series (and this was the rough preview cut) and that the acting was very focused, but it definitely held to Firefly feel. Great movie and I hope everbody gets a chance to see it when the final commercial release comes out. I certainly plan on it.

Greetings!

I only have one regret about the DVDs. When the shows were originally aired, they started every episode with a monologue. At first, this monologue was spoken by Capt. Mal but, in later episodes, they gave the job to Shepherd Book. It was kinda like Capt. Kirk's "Space... the final frontier." speech in that it contained a lot of background information about the setting... then, they'd segue into the opening theme song.

I really enjoyed that monologue. I was very disappointed that they didn't include it in the DVD set... they could have, at least, put it in the bonus tracks.

Kind of disappointing to hear that the DVD episodes are not complete...

I have now watched the pilot and the first six regular episodes since I bought the DVD set. The more I watch the more I am upset with fox for canceling this series. I have taken a real liking to it. The best original Sci-Fi series I have seen in the past decade or so.

One must also understand that since this is a movie that is designed to appeal to everyone...i.e. people who have never seen or heard of Firefly, there is likely going to be a slight difference in the feel. For instance expect the pace to move along at a pretty good clip, expect the obvious to be explained to bring the masses up to speed. Not everyone's favorite character is going to get as much face time as they might get if there was an entire ep devoted to them. That's how it goes. Of course one hopes it will be the movie of our dreams. :)

Kind of disappointing to hear that the DVD episodes are not complete...

I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. The episodes themselves are quite complete. They merely took the "plain vanilla" intro that was common in the last 5 or 6 episodes and applied it to all of the episodes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the intro that has only the theme song... I just miss that opening monologue.

By the way, a note of interest... one of the bonus tracks in the DVD set is the original mix of that theme song, sung by Joss Whedon himself... to his own guitar accompaniment! Not bad, really... but don't quit your day job, Joss. ~grin~

Hollywoodize

One must also understand that since this is a movie that is designed to appeal to everyone...i.e. people who have never seen or heard of Firefly' date=' there is likely going to be a slight difference in the feel. For instance expect the pace to move along at a pretty good clip, expect the obvious to be explained to bring the masses up to speed. Not everyone's favorite character is going to get as much face time as they might get if there was an entire ep devoted to them.[/quote']

Right. They Hollywoodize it because the general movie going populace is too ignorant to think for themselves.

Wait. Is that considered a direct insult? Oh great. I am going to get myself banned.

Yes, this would be a brilliant rp experience. In fact, Nathan Fillion (The Captain, Malcolm Reynolds) was at GenCon last year and some guys talked him into playing with them. There's a great picture of him with some brand new dice, a pencil in his mouth and ready to roll on his character sheet (which is in front of him.)

nathansocal_sm.jpg

I talked with him there. Wish I'd been able to play the game with the guy who actually played the captain playing the captain! Damn.

Yes, this would be a brilliant rp experience. In fact, Nathan Fillion (The Captain, Malcolm Reynolds) was at GenCon last year and some guys talked him into playing with them. There's a great picture of him with some brand new dice, a pencil in his mouth and ready to roll on his character sheet (which is in front of him.)

nathansocal_sm.jpg

I talked with him there. Wish I'd been able to play the game with the guy who actually played the captain playing the captain! Damn.

It looks doctored to me. That capped biro in his mouth has to have been photoshopped in. Unless Fillion has unnaturally sticky lips, a ballpoint pen would not just magically adhere to the them. And why is balancing a clear acrylic box full of green dice on his thumb? I wonder at what point the cast of Firefly is going to start finding the fanaticism about their show just a tad scary. I'm sure Nathan Fillion has to have some stalkers. Why won't he return my phone calls to talk about them? Nate... if you're reading this, please call me! I know the secret reason Fox cancelled your show! Call me!

No, mate, it's not photoshopped. The guy has got to be one of the coolest cats I've met in a long time. He and I stood there and talked for a good half hour about anything and everything from reality TV to phone calls and, of course, a bit about the show.

Here's a bigger version of the same pic.You can see he's got the pen clamped in his lips and the green dice are being held by his thumb, not balanced atop them.

No, mate, it's not photoshopped. The guy has got to be one of the coolest cats I've met in a long time. He and I stood there and talked for a good half hour about anything and everything from reality TV to phone calls and, of course, a bit about the show.

Here's a bigger version of the same pic.You can see he's got the pen clamped in his lips and the green dice are being held by his thumb, not balanced atop them.

I'm going to believe you, principally because I'm absolutely in love with the idea that Nathan Fillion is so incredibly in tune with his fans that he'd sit down and geek out with them.

I heard a clip of audio on a podcast where Jewel Staite is at a con, clearly choked up about how much she loves Firefly/Serenity and how fantastic the fans are... I had to bite my lip to keep from getting choked up myself when I listened to it. And on the latest edition of that podcast, there's this excellent phone interview with Adam Baldwin, where he expresses amazement and gratitude at the devotion of the fans, and that was totally cool.

I do believe that the Firefly/Serenity cast/crew is the coolest, most fan-tuned bunch of entertainers that has stalked the 'verse, mishaps at Canadian comic book stores notwithstanding.

It looks doctored to me. That capped biro in his mouth has to have been photoshopped in. Unless Fillion has unnaturally sticky lips' date=' a ballpoint pen would not just magically adhere to the them. And why is balancing a clear acrylic box full of green dice on his thumb? I wonder at what point the cast of Firefly is going to start finding the fanaticism about their show just a tad scary. I'm sure Nathan Fillion has to have some stalkers. Why won't he return my phone calls to talk about them? Nate... if you're reading this, please call me! I know the secret reason Fox cancelled your show! Call me![/quote']

I carefully examined the larger photo and I'm convinced it's not doctored. Some very tiny details in the right hand are what clued me in... you'd have to be a certified genius and an expert in photo-manipulation to fake that.

But, he's gotta be suckin' that pen like a Hoover.:D