WWE Hero

nexus

What sort of house rules and campaign guidelines would work for a "WWE Hero" campaign. That is a game that assumes all the wrestling stuff is totally real, including the "powers".

I was thinking the guidelines for a Wild Martial Arts campaign, perhaps?

1. Rivalry's and hunteds should fill in about half of the disads, the rest should usually be filled with things like enraged, physical lims (damaged knee etc), and perhaps for a few of the wrestlers a Dnpc cheer leader girl. (Most of them are DNPC's and not Followers.) Most face's should have a form of Code of Honour, and most of the darker characters should have a code of vengeance.

2. I suggest damage reduction (or a small resistant Pd, or a high rec) to simulate the more cinematic recoverys from things like falls, getting battered with ladders etc.

I'll think of more stuff later, but I'm a little busy ATM

Hey nexus,

You need to have nearly everyone buy:

2X STUN from Attacks by "people you thought were friends".

This is just classic.

Someone can get up from three piledrivers, but if their manager turns on them, one Right Cross from him will knock them out.

You could just buy this as 2X STUN from "Surprise Attacks" since they also go down like a house of cards to any move done while they are "distracted" by someone.

KA.

Vulnerability to chairs (or foreign objects)?

DNPC: Gorgeous woman in bathing suit.

Powers might take full-phase, since they seem to be used when the other character is stunned, and often includes getting the crowd involved - at least include gestures.

Use hand/killing attacks with the OIF (weapon of oportunity) for all the objects used.

Items should be modified to ensure they break easily (tables and such) or stay together for a while (the everpopulr chair).

CON should be low (since everybody seems to get stunned a lot), but Body and Stun are high (and Rec also). I'd agree with damage reduction/resistance, since someone who takes a diving elbow smash to the throat without injury has to have good defenses - maybe DR only vs Body?

Time scale might need adjustment. Often a hero fight is 2 Turns (24 Seconds) whereas a wrestling match is typically 5 to 10 minutes. You'd just have to make a segment a different amount of time (5 seconds?)

There'd have to be that Hulk Hogan-like thing where as the crowd cheers more or chants your name you begin to recover faster or get stronger.

I would suspect finishing moves have lousy OCVs, and that's why they're only used if the target has been stunned first. If the target manages to recover before it lands, it's easy to counter a finisher.

This would be easiest to simulate if you're building them as martial maneuvers, just load up on OCV penalties.

Originally posted by Koshka

I would suspect finishing moves have lousy OCVs, and that's why they're only used if the target has been stunned first. If the target manages to recover before it lands, it's easy to counter a finisher.

This would be easiest to simulate if you're building them as martial maneuvers, just load up on OCV penalties.

Most of them are just a souped up takedown (stone cold stunner, hurricanrana, any suplex's) attack or perhaps a killing throw (Powerbomb, chokeslam, gorrila press slam etc.)

Finishing moves.

"Most of them are just a souped up takedown (stone cold stunner, hurricanrana, any suplex's) attack or perhaps a killing throw (Powerbomb, chokeslam, gorrila press slam etc.)"

You've forgotten submission holds which would probably fall into

either choke nnd ( Cobra Clutch, Mandable claw, Sleeperhold,

Oriental Spike) or grab type attacks(bear hugs, Crippler Crossface,

The Claw, Figure Four Leg lock, Sharpshooter).

As for house rules, I think Presense would be especially important. Not

only for intimidating/ impressing opponents (try to watch some tapes

of the Road Warriors/Legion of Doom or, if you can find them, early

Undertaker matches, especially the Jake roberts/Undertaker

fued. The image of Ut sitting back up after taking Roberts finisher

has to be worth +4d6 at least!:)) but could do the same to for

characters that can justify getting PC's into plots(Booker: "Hey

guys! You're going to face the Glory boys next week in a tag

match.")and give the players a feeling that through hard work

and dedication, they can have their characters reach the top

on their own, which definately gives the campaign a 'Real

Prowrestling feel' to it.

I would suggest giving each match or viewed incidents the pc's are

involved in a pre attack against a booker character and the fans. The

results would determine how the booker feels about the value of the

characters and how the fans react to the match.

You might want to search the archives here for a 'WWF Hero'

thread. It has some decent tips on running this type of campaign.

Hope this helps

David 'Fido' Lindquist

Originally posted by Blue

Time scale might need adjustment. Often a hero fight is 2 Turns (24 Seconds) whereas a wrestling match is typically 5 to 10 minutes. You'd just have to make a segment a different amount of time (5 seconds?)

Humm, most if not all of these characters would have Normal Characteristic Maxima, most would be SPD 4, and most would have STUN and REC near maximum. Many maneuvers seem to have extra time, an extra phase or for some finishing moves an extra turn. So let's take a character with 8 PD, 10 REC, and 50 STUN. He and his opponent are evenly matched, both SPD 4 and OCV and DCV 7. Average attack (without foreign object) is about a 6d6, or 21 STUN on average. The opponent lands his punch about half the time, doing 21 STUN twice per turn. Subtract 8 from each atttack for PD. Opponent inflicts 26 STUN per turn, and in post phase 12 our character gets 10 back through a REC, so our character looses 16 STUN per turn net. Would be an unususal combat that lasted less than three turns.

Not the typical pro wrestling fight, but longer than the average superhero battle.

Originally posted by Blue

There'd have to be that Hulk Hogan-like thing where as the crowd cheers more or chants your name you begin to recover faster or get stronger.

Yeah, they have been doing that a lot recently. Someone has a popular wrestler in a submission hold and the crowd starts chanting (R-V-D, R-V-D) and RVD gets out of the hold and opens a can of whoop ass. Could be some sort of Aid based on the crowd.

Also some sort of popularity rating might be handy to add in. Nothing quite like watching Triple-H trying to speak and having the crowd drown out the microphone with chants of Goldberg.

All of the finishing moves should have extra time limitation to mimic the fact that the opponent needs to be 'down' or surprised before the move can be performed. Also some sort of penalty, like x2 stune on the attacker if the move fails.

I'm doing a serious take on an expanded wrestling martial arts package. I don't have a website but i'd be happy to share what i've done with others for feedback. send me a private message with your email if your interested.

House rules i've thought about:

1) 1 meter hexes so people are not superleaping everywhere.

The WWE ring is say 16' square. That makes (standard rules) 3" turnbuckle to turnbuckle or 4" coast to coast diagonally. Anyone can make that jump. But if you double it you get 6" coast to coast for a combat leap and 8" diagonally.

2) damage bonus for rope height +1d6 per rope up to +3d6 for any move off the top rope (adapted from someone elses conversion, not looking at my notes)

3) leaping possibly indepentent of strength. Who can jump further? The Big Show or Rey Mysterio?

4) modification of the throwing rules to reflect that most people can't suplex a super heavyweight.

Btw, check out http://www.writeups.org for some interesting conversions of WWE stars to superheros.

This is cool stuff. However, it reminds me of an article I read about Steroid Use in the Wrestling world and all the deaths that have occured. I gues three guys have died in the last 5 months alone. I used to love wrestling, but my wife hates it and even on the rare occasions I have the TV to myself and can watch, its been so long I don't know who to root for and its seems that the shows have much less action and much more talk these days...

sorry to derail

On Topic.

Size Matters! I'd give the "Big guys" some knb resistance and maybe Strength level Clinging to keep the fast guys from lifting them or shoving them.

You might want to give the REALLY big guys (not those "WWE-normal" size guys of 6'3") some sort of stamina or invulnerability boost. Like the way Undertaker was pretty much impervious to most damage.

Girls should get some sort of boost despite their size, though. Remember, a slap from a chick hurts more than a German suplex from her boyfriend. But you can break them in half afterwards.

You should get some sort of style points if your move is more insanely dangerous to yourself than to your opponent. Diving headbutts from the top of the cage, Swanton bombs, etc.

Re: Finishing moves.

Originally posted by Fido

You've forgotten submission holds which would probably fall into either choke nnd ( Cobra Clutch, Mandable claw, Sleeperhold,

Oriental Spike) or grab type attacks(bear hugs, Crippler Crossface,

The Claw, Figure Four Leg lock, Sharpshooter).

Some submission holds might be a continuous mind control with a single command, "Surrender!" Target has to make EGO roll ever phase, if he misses the EGO roll before he breaks the hold he taps out.