1st Ed Challenge to the Old man

AnotherSkip

Hmm one of your asides in the what do you want to see in the FH thread caught my eye.

specifically your plaints about weapons and playing 1st ed AD&D.

frankly yes I do see alot of longsword weilders but I also happen to know that if you do not allow the weapon notes in the book Longswords are the best weapon out there, seconded by bastard sword weilders.

if you do use the weapon notes as is you get Ranseur weilders.

Alot.

read up on page 38 1st ed AD&D PH book.

makes your head spin how useful that is in a party situation.

O course it helps if people actually READ the weapon tables........

Other things trhat are not spelled out but are very useful is the rulings on Warhammers from the DMG(lesssee I get Dex bonus to hit when thrown plus normal Str+each individual separate strength bonus from each individual magical item worn that enhances strength...... Take 24+1d4 at +12 to hit... Oh, Wait! Weapon Specialization!!!!!)

Now then on the 5th ed stuff.............

Ill agree after looking over the rules Spears are almost untouchable excluding the AP possibilities of the Picks, spears are UGLY.....

Frankly we kept 4th.

For 1e ADnD, flails and two handers are great weapon because they get good attack bonuses against most ACs.

In HERO, the staff sling looks pretty nice. It lacks to hit penalties, and strength adds to damage, so you can get 7 DCs without going over NCM.

The battle axe compares favorably to the bastard sword.