Superhero Images

schir1964

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my lastest re-color.  I dug out my old copy of Paint Shop Pro 9.  Because of the scan, it had a ton of shadows, and needed a lot of work, but I used that time to reacquaint myself with PSP9.  Let me know what you think, here's Badger (prismacolor) and Badger (PSP)...EDIT...I kept looking at the PSP pic and liked it, but the lack of shading in the white areas bugged me...OCD and all.  So I made some adjustments...better, or worse?post-1526-0-75611700-1464365433_thumb.jpgpost-1526-0-89944400-1464365458_thumb.jpgpost-1526-0-48077600-1465749270_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The first one feels too faded to me.  I like the sharper image of the latter two, with the third one my favorite of the three.  The addition of the shadings adds definition to the muscles.  Being CDO myself (that's OCD, but in alphabetical order as it should be), I can appreciate the attention to detail there.

Thanks for the feedback.  The first is a colored pencil drawing.  While it looks great in person, the transition to electronic media dulls the "prismacolor"...similarly, the digital color loses it's sharpness when printed onto paper.  I do like the digital coloring, now that I'm gaining more proficiency with it, but as I look at other artist's renderings, I'm left with questions on how long it takes them, as compared to me, and what level of detail are they looking for? (To me, mine seems far more textured...I'm no professional, but I wonder how the pro's get their depth and lighting effects...most of mine simply comes from my imagination...what I think it should look like.)

I also wonder what tools other artists use.  I draw the "blank" line drawing, scan it, then using a 10 year old graphics program and a trackball, go to work...

As seen by stuff I've posted here, I like translating public domain characters. I found a group of villains who had fought Captain Marvel Jr. in the Golden Age called the Black Ace Gang. They were nowhere near as interesting as The Royal Flush Gang, but card based characters can be interesting. After some back and forth with Joe Singleton, we came up with a modern version of the concept. The original group was non-powered, but 2 members of this version do have actual powers

From left to right is Queen of Hearts, King of Clubs, Jack of Diamonds and Black Ace, the Black Ace Gang:

BlackAceGang.png

As seen by stuff I've posted here, I like translating public domain characters. I found a group of villains who had fought Captain Marvel Jr. in the Golden Age called the Black Ace Gang. They were nowhere near as interesting as The Royal Flush Gang, but card based characters can be interesting. After some back and forth with Joe Singleton, we came up with a modern version of the concept. The original group was non-powered, but 2 members of this version do have actual powers

From left to right is Queen of Hearts, King of Clubs, Jack of Diamonds and Black Ace, the Black Ace Gang:

BlackAceGang.png

Nice take!

That's a very strong costume, Urbwar.  It's modern, but it calls back early silver age aesthetics.  Nothing resembling bondage wear, and the woman is appropriately covered.  The chest device is excellent.  I question the flared boots on the running man, although Jay Garrick has gotten away with them for 75 years so I guess that's on me.