Superhero Images

schir1964

Re: Are photomanipulations ok?

Originally posted by RPMiller

I have some Photoshop'ed images that are not really my drawings, but are real life photos that have been changed to become a female villain team. I posted them in the non-gaming forum a while back, but was wondering if I should post them here. Would anyone care to see them?

*shakes 8-ball* The answer is yes.

On another not, did anyone take up my challenge of creating hero accessories? Masks, gloves, boots, belts or capes?

Re Photo manips, Yeah, lets see them.

Re 2, I've been gone, what challenge? Let me rephrase, what page is the challenge posted on and is it in this forum?

Originally posted by Redmenace

Re 2, I've been gone, what challenge? Let me rephrase, what page is the challenge posted on and is it in this forum?

I suggested it here, and then continued it on the next page with some postings of stuff I had done.

I'll iterate again that the examples are really lame, but I'm hoping that either someone can make some better templates or I'll get a chance to make some better ones eventually.

Introduction

These following pics some of you may have already seen in the Kara's Avatar thread, I am also including a new one that I just finished.

I would like to mention also that the skimpy costumes are used with a purpose. Eventually, I'll have their complete writeups finished so that you can see the reasoning, but essentially they realize that the majority of heroes are male and they are all attractive, so the are playing the sex card to hopefully get an upper hand on any male heroes that they might confront.

The group as a whole are pretty much your standard "trying to get filthy rich" group, however they will do mercenary work for the right reasons (and cash rewards).

I still haven't come up with a name for the group, but I'm willing to take suggestions. So without further ado...

Null

She and Void were a team prior to joining, but they were tired of having to run from larger hero teams and decided that there is strength in numbers and signed up.

Null's powers are light based and she can create localized "white outs" that makes it very difficult to see or fight, not to mention her light blast ablilities. She used to wear a different costume, but since joining the group has adopted their "distraction" methods.

attachment.php?s=&postid=198556

Void

Void is the team's brick. Her powers stem from her ability to create localized "black holes" and can utilize the gravitational affects to enhance her strength. She can also absorb light in the area to create a "black out". Both her and Void will use their powers together to really throw a group of heroes into confusion as they try to move from light to dark.

attachment.php?s=&postid=198560

Nautica

Nautica is the newest member of the team, and is their infiltrator. Her ability to move incredibly fast and turn into water to flow through cracks and pipes, gives her a definite advantage in infiltrating.

She has started learning team tactics, and has learned that besides infiltration she can use her various water blasts to "move" opponents around so that her team mates can get a better shot. Also, because her powers don't exhaust her very quickly she can fight for some time. When she turns her body into water, nothing can really affect her except for heat and fire powers which cause her to turn to steam and can't fight affectively until she has brought her molecules back together.

Her and InfraRed have been trying to figure out a way to combine their powers to create a "steam jet" or someother effect that will catch most of guard the first time it is used.

attachment.php?s=&postid=198572

Conclusion

Of the various images, I really like Nautica the best. It really captures the image I was looking for, and was also one of the more challenging to create. Second, would probably be UltraViolet because her mask turned our so perfectly.

I tried to subdue all the images to make them look a little less "photographic" and a little more "painted", but I think the quality of the pictures were too high to get some of the details to drop out.

Please feel free to make comments about what works and doesn't work in the photos. Also if you have Photoshop skills I'm definitely open to pointers and suggestions for using it. I'm using Version 7 if you are wondering.

Well, that's it for the group. I want to eventually take photos of real people dressed in various garments from tight spandex, to "modern superhero garb" that we see in movies today like X-Men and Daredevil, and then manipulate them into more superheroic pics adding capes, masks, power effects, and whatnot. We have been considering doing something like this for San Angelo 2nd Edition to really make the artwork reflect a "real" "living" world. What do you all think? If it proves to difficult, we'll just have to find some good artists that draw more "realistically" than "comicbooky".

Re: Conclusion

I tried to subdue all the images to make them look a little less "photographic" and a little more "painted", but I think the quality of the pictures were too high to get some of the details to drop out.

( note: I don't know how familiar you are with the program so I'm writing this in a basic style and not intentionally talking down, though it may sound so. No offense is intended)

Photoshop gives you plenty of options-

1.) Lower the detail by going to image->Image size and lowering the resolution count in the dialog box that appears.

or

2.) Try playing with Posterize, Image->adjust->posterize. It "flattens" a photo by removing the steps of color gradation. This isn't subtle, be warned.

or

3.) For a subtler effect, Make a copy of the picture at the point where you HAVE laid in the costume but Have Not applied a Artistic filter.

a.) In the layer menu, drag the original layer on to the new layer icon at the bottom of the dialog box. (This makes a copy of the original)

b.) Apply a filter to the top most copy.

c.) In the Layer menu, slide the opacity control while the top most layer is selected. This will let the un "filtered" original show through making the filtered version melt into it. The effect can be very subtle or not depending on how opaque you make the top layer.

or

4.) After you apply a filter, go back to the Filter menu and play with the fade Filter option. There are a long list of ways to fade that this option will make available.

or

5.) Using the images as you've presented them here. Try applying the Filter- Noise. Then use the fade filter controls to make the graininess more or less visible. The grain serves to make the original picture elements and the painted on parts unify.

Please feel free to make comments about what works and doesn't work in the photos. Also if you have Photoshop skills I'm definitely open to pointers and suggestions for using it. I'm using Version 7 if you are wondering.

Nautica is the best of the lot in my opinion, the image and background work together as the opacity of the women plays well to the aquatic nature of her powers as does the Plastic wrap ( I think it's plastic wrap) filter.

Ultra violet is actually my favorite, I like the look as a "unrealistic" thing done in a realistic style. She also has a nice combination of looking sexy but tough.

The pyro leader's costume as well as the black and white lingerie ones seem to look too much like playthings. I know that's the idea but my personal prejudices are in play. Comicbook supervillanesses all ready look to me like some guys fantasy without the even more intense Victoria's secret quality. Like I said an opinion only.

Well, that's it for the group. I want to eventually take photos of real people dressed in various garments from tight spandex, to "modern superhero garb" that we see in movies today like X-Men and Daredevil, and then manipulate them into more superheroic pics adding capes, masks, power effects, and whatnot. We have been considering doing something like this for San Angelo 2nd Edition to really make the artwork reflect a "real" "living" world. What do you all think? If it proves to difficult, we'll just have to find some good artists that draw more "realistically" than "comicbooky".

Its certainly an interesting idea and would definitely set the book apart visually not to mention affect the "human element" behind the mask quality that is san Angelo's trademark. I genuinely hope it works but I think the added trouble of finessing them just right is more than you want to deal with.

As a final comment, if you do go with Photomanips, 1.) do plenty of black and white proofs before going to print as grayscale images loose a LOT of the liveliness of color plus need levels finessing and 2.) don't mix photomanip pictures with line art pics, the effect creates a schism and works against the unity of your setting.

Photos in San Angelo

We have been considering doing something like this for San Angelo 2nd Edition to really make the artwork reflect a "real" "living" world. What do you all think? If it proves to difficult, we'll just have to find some good artists that draw more "realistically" than "comicbooky".

Wow, do I ever hate that idea. San Angelo is a great, classic world with comic book ties. Nothing personal, but while your Photoshopped images are interesting to look at and a great experiment, they're definitely not right for San Angelo. I'm even worried about the idea of too much realistic art. I mean, if you get an Alex Ross, fine. But even for all his realism, he manages to keep a sense of the majesty and "otherness" of the comic book world. In general, superhero costumes put on real people in photos or photo-like art look awkward. Like it or not, there's a good reason why movies tend to "naturalize" comic character costumes; real people look ridiculous in them.

The whole point of San Angelo isn't to be a "real" or "living" world. It's to be a setting where superheroics seem plausible, an organic part of the milieu. It's to give superheroes a fun backdrop in which to exist, making it clear in the players' imaginations. "Living," yes. But "real"? Not a chance.

And, as someone pointed out earlier, mixing drastically different art styles in a publication is just asking for trouble. It's okay for a cross-genre piece (the 5th edition rules work well in that respect), but, especially for a setting book, you need to make sure the images "play well" together.

What I've always enjoyed about Champions artwork is that it doesn't look like the art in D&D or the various WoD books. It has its own look and is consistent. So I think it's nice that you are trying to set the look of your San Angelo books apart from the rest (Champions, M&M, SAS)... but I don't think that's the way to go about it. At least not with the standard variety photoshopped images.

While it takes a certain amount of control and artistry to do this, I find the results far less interesting than the more traditional comic book art.

Re: Photos in San Angelo

Originally posted by RobCRogers

Wow, do I ever hate that idea. San Angelo is a great, classic world with comic book ties. Nothing personal, but while your Photoshopped images are interesting to look at and a great experiment, they're definitely not right for San Angelo. I'm even worried about the idea of too much realistic art. I mean, if you get an Alex Ross, fine. But even for all his realism, he manages to keep a sense of the majesty and "otherness" of the comic book world. In general, superhero costumes put on real people in photos or photo-like art look awkward. Like it or not, there's a good reason why movies tend to "naturalize" comic character costumes; real people look ridiculous in them.

The whole point of San Angelo isn't to be a "real" or "living" world. It's to be a setting where superheroics seem plausible, an organic part of the milieu. It's to give superheroes a fun backdrop in which to exist, making it clear in the players' imaginations. "Living," yes. But "real"? Not a chance.

And, as someone pointed out earlier, mixing drastically different art styles in a publication is just asking for trouble. It's okay for a cross-genre piece (the 5th edition rules work well in that respect), but, especially for a setting book, you need to make sure the images "play well" together.

Thanks for the feedback. You have definitely made some good points, and as I mentioned we were thinking about it. You have given us some additional things to consider.

Originally posted by Blue

What I've always enjoyed about Champions artwork is that it doesn't look like the art in D&D or the various WoD books. It has its own look and is consistent. So I think it's nice that you are trying to set the look of your San Angelo books apart from the rest... but I don't think that's the way to go about it. At least not with the standard variety photoshopped images.

While it takes a certain amount of control and artistry to do this, I find the results far less interesting than the more traditional comic book art.

Another good point. You have also hit the nail on the head, this is an experiment, and please don't think that it is what the book will have. It has just been something we have been toying with because of all the recent "comic" movies have shown that it can be done to good, and bad, affect.

We will most likely go the way of everyone else, but one thing we are trying to do is find consistancy with the artwork just like we have consistancy with the content.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread, and while I value your opinions... Bring on more great artwork!

You can still comment on mine of course. ;)

I don't have any whole-pages of comics. Pretty much all the ones I've been doing are one-cell sequences, and I haven't done many of those (I have trouble drawing action scenes).

The bulk of my campaign art is on my website on This Page . It hasn't been updated in a while; Mostly because I'm running out of webspace.