Superhero Images

schir1964

Re: Superhero Images

Hey there/ Let me start off by saying there are some fantastic pieces here in this thread. Bravo everyone :)

I would like to post some of my stuff, but I warn you. I am no artist. Couldn't draw my way out of a wet paper bag. But I have been tracing customs heroes since I was in grade 6.

I tend to use whatever poses I can find (thank you Marvel Handbook) but keep my eyes open for others.

Anywho, enough blather... let's begin

Starchild is an alien who is part of the Velunnan Imperial Guard. She is a standard energy blaster type.

starchild_web.jpg

Hey there/ Let me start off by saying there are some fantastic pieces here in this thread. Bravo everyone :)

I would like to post some of my stuff, but I warn you. I am no artist. Couldn't draw my way out of a wet paper bag. But I have been tracing customs heroes since I was in grade 6.

Nice work (on all your images).

And I don't think that anybody will hold the use of tracing against you; lots of other people do it too. In the end, it is the result that matters. And you get good results.

Did this mostly because I was bored.

Concept: What if you woke up one morning and could fly. Then you discovered... that's all you could do. No bolts of lightning, no superstrength, no mind powers. First you'd be elated, but after realizing that in a world full of heroes and villains, all you have is flight (and not even the fastest flight), you'd be awfully disappointed.

Nah, it'd be OK.

I'd buy some nice body armor, and a whole bunch of stinger missiles (14d6 explosion, no range mod). And maybe a bazooka. :winkgrin:

Thank you.

I seem to have taken to Poser much faster than others have. I'm not sure why but a friend of mine was able to teach me a couple of the basics over ICQ and I ran with it. Others haven't been nearly as lucky.

Thanks for answering my questions. And I really like the images in your gallery. Very nice work, even the stuff you weren’t happy with looks pretty good to me.

3D art is very interesting to me. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to Poser or any library of pre-built models, I have to make everything from scratch myself. I know that my stuff may not be as good as the Poser models, but I keep learning and getting better.

Here is a sample of my 3D work. . . .

This scene is something I’ve been working on (I have several different versions of it):

Some might remember my old scene: “Kronos vs the Combat Droid.†I redid both Kronos and the Combat Droid. I’ve posted some versions of the new scene over in the “non-gaming discussion†forum Art thread.

One of the advantages of 3D art is that it is easy to make changes. Even little things like shifting the camera, or adjusting the lighting can have a huge impact on a scene. I keep on coming up with more and more variations on the same scene as it gets “tweaked†in various ways. I do have a bunch of new versions of variations of “Kronos vs the Combat Droid.†I will not make everyone suffer by posting 100 slightly different versions of the same scene–but it would boost my post count :D

But I do have one more version that I really like, and I’ll post it here. . . .

Nice work (on all your images).

And I don't think that anybody will hold the use of tracing against you; lots of other people do it too. In the end, it is the result that matters. And you get good results.

Put me down as another tracer. Nice work AslanC

Thanks for answering my questions. And I really like the images in your gallery. Very nice work, even the stuff you weren’t happy with looks pretty good to me.

3D art is very interesting to me. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to Poser or any library of pre-built models, I have to make everything from scratch myself. I know that my stuff may not be as good as the Poser models, but I keep learning and getting better.

Here is a sample of my 3D work. . . .

Well thats definately better then when I first started :) My thing was I was envious of those who could draw. Seeing as I couldn't I was always hitting up my friends to get images of my characters done. Most of those hand draw pics I still have to this day.

I'm probably a bit too picky with my artwork though. As one of the reasons I avoided Champions originally was the horrible interior (my opinion of course) artwork they had for their heroes and villians.

Thanks for the kind words folks :) I will post more if I ever get a scanner or regular access to one :)

As to Femforce, can't say I do read it. Is there a character called Lady America in that?

There is a character called Miss Liberty who takes a pill called the V-47. that gives her superstr, flight, invulnerability, and youth.

I thought I recognized that name and webpage. You were or are on my webring for Marvel Super Heroes RPG :)
What webring is this? Is there a link?

There is a character called Miss Liberty who takes a pill called the V-47. that gives her superstr' date=' flight, invulnerability, and youth.[/quote']

Oh neat :) I will have to check it out. Is it a good comic aside from that? I never see it at my comic shop, is it still being published?

Well thats definately better then when I first started :)

Thanks. . . . BTW, if you have any suggestions for improvement of my 3D work, they would be much appreciated.

I still have a little bit of uncertainty about the concept of reliance on 3rd party models; isn’t it sometimes a problem?

Here is a small excerpt from a discussion on the RPG.net Freelancing and Freelancers Forum ( I’m adding the URL so you can read the full discussion if you want to). The discussion is about using Poser to create images for character portraits, and the problems involved in finding specific 3rd party models to go with a given character. It would be interesting to hear your take on it:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116868&perpage=10&pagenumber=2#post2276663

I should have said that in order to find a prop that most closely resembles what he wants in his custom character, you may have to pay for it.

If someone is really a stickler on wanting a character portrait to be what they want it to be, I suggest sticking with traditional art. CG art is good for generalizations.

IMO Sacrosanct is making some unfair assumptions about CG art on the whole, but it seems that the point might be valid in relation to Poser generated images. It would be nice to have the perspective of somebody who has some specific experience in this area.

Good Girl Art, The use of sexy imagrey without showing outright nudity.

I'd have to dig out one of my old Femforce issues to see how they difine it better, but htey are in storage.

BTW: Looked at Advanced Comics today, Apparentl AC is reprinting old Femforce titles. Your FLCS could probably order them for you.

Good Girl Art, The use of sexy imagrey without showing outright nudity.

I'd have to dig out one of my old Femforce issues to see how they difine it better, but htey are in storage.

BTW: Looked at Advanced Comics today, Apparentl AC is reprinting old Femforce titles. Your FLCS could probably order them for you.

Thanks for th info Tim. I went out to my local gaming store and picked up something called Superbabes, the FemForce rpg (it was a steal at $5).

I'll let you know what I think :)

Thanks. . . . BTW, if you have any suggestions for improvement of my 3D work, they would be much appreciated.

I still have a little bit of uncertainty about the concept of reliance on 3rd party models; isn’t it sometimes a problem?

Here is a small excerpt from a discussion on the RPG.net Freelancing and Freelancers Forum ( I’m adding the URL so you can read the full discussion if you want to). The discussion is about using Poser to create images for character portraits, and the problems involved in finding specific 3rd party models to go with a given character. It would be interesting to hear your take on it:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116868&perpage=10&pagenumber=2#post2276663

IMO Sacrosanct is making some unfair assumptions about CG art on the whole, but it seems that the point might be valid in relation to Poser generated images. It would be nice to have the perspective of somebody who has some specific experience in this area.

Ok I'll tackle this individually.

1)"I still have a little bit of uncertainty about the concept of reliance on 3rd party models; isn’t it sometimes a problem?"

It can be. But again if you have a -good- model, there isn't much you can't do. In laymen's terms: If you have shotty pencils and paper and little imagination, you will turn out shotty work. If you have quality tools and the right mindset with technique, there isn't much you can't do.

I'll use to models found in or purchased for Poser. Posette (which is the nickname for the Poser 4 female model) and Victoria 2. Now with Posette you had -some- things you could do. And for what it's worth people have cranked out some awesome images for Posette. But the lack of model manipulation hinders greatly. Posette is decent if you put a lot of work into her.

Now Victoria 2 is all kinds of model manipulations. If Posette had a total of 10 (just an example) Victoria 2 has 30+. Anything from model height (which they both have) to improved breast, chest, face, and overall body. With Posette you run into the problem of most of your figures carrying a similiar "look". Anyone who's used Poser can almost point them out without batting an eyelash. And it's that look that keeps it from crossing the treshhold IMO. With Victoria, it's harder to pick up on. The look and feel of the model in question looks more unique.

Think back to how many comics carried that Rob Liefeld or Jim Lee look? And how few carried the Todd MacFarland, Brett Booth, Frank Miller look? In the end, let the popularity of the model carry some of the weight. If you look online, one of the most supported Poser models is the Victoria series.

So yes, sometimes it can be a problem but only if you let it.

2)Poser for characters and Sacrosanct's comments:

Actually I think I've achived a moderate amount of success in designing character pics using Poser. And I know I'm not the only one. I'd point you to http://www.animotions.com as a site almost solely dedicated to 3d/super hero art. And while not apart of that community I can say that some of those artists have done wonders with Posette. Let alone the Michael, Victoria, Stephanie, & Freak models.

Now as for the problem finding the right model: Remember my comments about Posette and Victoria? If you're having problems finding the -right- model, find one thats close and then look for model morph packs. Or do it yourself in Poser outright. Another MAJOR point to raise is texturing. Always always always use a skin texture for your characters. As that can be the difference between night and day for your model. Photorealistic ones tend to work best.

And they are discussing cost: True, in some cases modelers already have what you want. And like any vendor it will cost some. But depending on what you need you just might be able to find what you need for free. Legally free. Renderosity, 3dcommune, Animotions and others all have free props. And some are incredibly professional.

http://www.giovanni-wod.net/images/rapierman1a.bmp (careful, it's a large image)

This is a prime example of a quality character pic that cost virtually nothing. Michael 3 figure (which I got for free for being apart of the Platinum club at Daz 3d), the texture cost me and so did the hair. The outfit complete with swords and all was free.

The statement of $15 a prop and up is fairly misleading. While some do indeed charge that, there is always the free options available. As is joining certain clubs or memberships. Daz3d has some awesome props, textures, and figures with their Platinum club. And http://www.poserstyle.com has a great deal for their club membership as well.

In the end, you are only limited by your own limitations. Sacrosanct sounds like he knows what he's talking about but (based purely on what I read) might have a jaded viewpoint towards Poser. You always have the option of creating your own model. Even in Poser.

Hope this helps a bit