Superhero Images

schir1964

Guest bblackmoor

Re: Superhero Images

It's from the CoH hero generator. That part of the game is so awesome' date=' they'd make money if they released it separately.[/quote']

I'd buy the game just for that, if you could use it without paying a fee for the stupid online game.

Guest bblackmoor

So here's an unfinished one. Character unknown.

I do like the picture, but I have to wonder: isn't a mask like that just a fashion statement? It's not like it actually conceals anything.

Guest bblackmoor

You mean like Clark Kent's glasses do? ;)

Hmm... I was going to say "But the glasses aren't part of his costume," but I suppose that, in fact, they are.

I'm more concerned that the pic is too androgenous, than I am about the mask.

Actually, I have many characters that wear masks that still have public IDs. Reasoning: It just gives them a more superheroic feel.

(That pic bugs me. I'll probably finish it Monday if I have a few minutes at lunch.)

IanSokoliwski' date=' have you ever considered doing some tutorials or tricks and tips for painting using PhotoShop?[/quote']

I've thought about it, and still might get around to it. The problem is that I use a variety of techniques, the kind of thing you only really learn by using the program eight hours a day, five days a week, for seven years. Plus, I use both layers and channels, and I know that confuses a lot of people (especially channels, for some reason - I find channels to be one of the easier things to use, but some folks just find them confusing).

One thing I will say, if you are serious about wanting to use Photoshop (or similar programs) to their fullest potential, get yourself a tablet and stylus. For me, there is nothing worse than trying to paint using a mouse. And tablets can start around $60-$80 (for smaller ones).

But thanks for the compliment :)

Now, here is a pic I did for a friend of his character in my Champions game (at the time). This one is unusual in that I didn't draw the picture out on paper, scan it, then paint it. Instead, I drew it freehand in Photoshop directly. Normally, I don't much care for this technique (as good as stylus' can be, they are still no match for a good Speedball pen or brush), but every once in a while, I like to play around with the technique.

I've thought about it, and still might get around to it. The problem is that I use a variety of techniques, the kind of thing you only really learn by using the program eight hours a day, five days a week, for seven years. Plus, I use both layers and channels, and I know that confuses a lot of people (especially channels, for some reason - I find channels to be one of the easier things to use, but some folks just find them confusing).

One thing I will say, if you are serious about wanting to use Photoshop (or similar programs) to their fullest potential, get yourself a tablet and stylus. For me, there is nothing worse than trying to paint using a mouse. And tablets can start around $60-$80 (for smaller ones).

But thanks for the compliment :)

Perhaps you could do a hand-full of tutorials for the different techniques that you use. I have found some really good tutorial sites out there and I have to imagine that they bring the artists some business that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

pslovers.com is a compilation site that has hundreds of links to various tutorials. Some are not very good, others are excellent.

Personaly, I understand channels at the basic level, but haven't figured out how to use them to any great advantage yet. I'm all over layers though. I couldn't imagine doing any type of computer artwork without them.

And you are most welcome. :D I read through a couple of your comics on your website, and was more than a lot impressed. You do excellent work!

I do have a commission question. Is there any price savings if there isn't a background on the picture? Also, I think that it is awesome that you include the PSD file as well.

RE: Photoshop. I need to have someone sit with me at the computer and show me how the layers and channels work. I've tried time and again to go the self-tutoring route and it just doesn't work for me. This is why my most recent work is taking longer for me to do then normal. :(

And I admit, I was having serious designer-block for Abyss (GGU villain) but I have finally had a breakthrough. Waiting to hear back from Jack on the rough, and I won't share the pic until its done. :)

Mags

Guest Worldmaker

And I admit' date=' I was having serious designer-block for Abyss (GGU villain) but I have [i']finally[/i] had a breakthrough. Waiting to hear back from Jack on the rough, and I won't share the pic until its done. :)

I really like the rough.

I do have a commission question. Is there any price savings if there isn't a background on the picture? Also, I think that it is awesome that you include the PSD file as well.

Well, it depends, basically, but yeah it can affect the price. Everything is negotiable (and the more you buy, the more you save! :) ) If you have more specific questions, you can email them to me directly, and I can give you a more specific response.

RE: Photoshop. I need to have someone sit with me at the computer and show me how the layers and channels work. I've tried time and again to go the self-tutoring route and it just doesn't work for me. This is why my most recent work is taking longer for me to do then normal. :(

Mags

Yeah, I agree with this.

It's funny, at my last job, I had to train quite a few people in Photoshop, and I don't know how many times if you go through something with a person and you are right beside them, how hard it is for them to pick up a technique or similar bit the first time (this isn't singling out any one person or anything; generally, you have to show a person how to do something, then they try it, and you have to help them correct the mistakes - it is pretty universal that you can only 'learn to do by doing').

That is also why I'm a little fuzzy on the concept of online tutorials. Sure, there is lots you can learn from following the instructions of someone else, but the best way to learn is to dive in, muck around, make some huge mistakes...I suppose it is best to be able to physically show them what you did, so they can correct where you went wrong.

I dunno. Maybe I will get around to that tutorial thing yet...:)

... but the best way to learn is to dive in' date=' muck around, make some huge mistakes...[/quote']

This doesn't work for me. I need to understand how the layering works and mucking around will only produce an accident which I may (or may not) be able to duplicate in the future. Some tutorials are detailed enough to tell me what I need to know, but I've found that most tutorials assume you are familiar with everything the program can do (which I am not).

So I do my best with what I do know.

Mags