Los Asesinos

Richard Logue

Actually, in a storyline I ran, a character from an alternate earth (previous campaign world) had to hunt down all the "mystic villains" that had followed him from the old world. He had to fight to the death, Black Paladin, Slug, eventually Dark Seraph... and the Aesesinos worked well in that campaign. (Not the Main... but the others).

Best moment was a scene on the Amazon river with a powerful shaman type. They were swarmed by summoned mosquitos that began to attack and bite and blind and smother them. Vengeance, the main character, a modern day warrior, sword, gun, martial arts type, didn't have anything to fight such a swarm... so the mage had to take care of it... but Vengeance made an amazing perception roll to see Mosquito zipping in for a kill strike through the swarm. He fast drew his sword, struck... rolled a 4, did 18 Body or something, and resheathed his sword in one motion... slicing the three inch Mosquito in half.

One shot, one kill... and Vengeance cleaning the tiny remains off of his body armor was VERY funny.

See... the Asesinos could be very useful as villains. :D

(Actually, Stalker, Muerte Obscuro and Ocelot were good foes for that series of adventures.)

Well, I HOPE "Stalker" of 4th Ed. doesn't come back, I already used the name. :)

I never really got much use out of them after the first time I ran them. They weren't hopeless, they just didn't compare to other more in genre groups. If I recall, for a time, my favorite punching bags for my players' characters was 'Terror Inc.". Now, Pr. Muerte is pushing up daisies and I'm working on and looking for 5th Edition replacements.

Hmm.. the name Ocelot for a super hero... might work.

I used them to kick off a campaign awhile back. I revamped the whole group and some of them individually and played up their roles as mercenary assassins that specialize in offing supers.

I made certain that they worked well together by creating several tactics they could use and coordinating their skills and powers. They gave the heroes a thorough trouncing their first night out as a "group."

Afterward they resolved to pull it together to beat the Asesinos. Since the heroes were outnumbered, they had to research the bad guys and come up with hteir own tactics.

All in all it turned out pretty well.

Just to throw these ideas at you, this is how I revamped the group a little.

Stalker. Not a lot of change power-wise. But instead of making him an actual vampire, I just made him have vampire-like powers.

Maine. Changed his name to Ironclad and made him a little more of a serious opponent. However, I did keep all the faultiness of his armor. It was good because it made his armor seem to change everytime they encountered him. Kept the players guessing.

Mosquito. Since he is an inherently weak individual, I gave him a communication gadget to allow him to speak directly with Stalker and used him in the role of a scout. He never saw much real combat, but helped them as a team immensely. Also, instead of his nose being the weapon, I gave him a sword, a wee tiny sword.

Ocelot. No real changes here.

Tombstone Kid. Shortened his name to Tombstone. Gave him a pair of slightly mystical six-shooters and played up his undeadness.

Montaña. Changed his name to Avalanche. Made him more in tune with the earth spirits. Gave him a horrendous (and Endurance expensive) attack that combined an EB and an Entangle; he could erupt the earth underneath you in a radius.

Muerto Obscuro. Completely got rid of him and replaced him with a female martial artist with a penchant for spiders named Black Widow. She has a large, gadget spider wrapped around her torso. She can cause it to "leap" off of her, Entangle an opponent, and inject a STR Drain poison.

Spider Monkey. When the heroes first encounter Spider Monkey, she was with Black Widow. Since Widow obviously had a thing for arachnids, they just figured the monkey was part of the show. BWAH-HA-HA! Nobody expects a spider monkey to be a mentalist!

Fun stuff.

Richard