About Ultimate Vehicle

I just got this yesterday and I want to compliment Bob and Steve on the excellent job they did with this one. A very well done to you both!

I'm especially pleased with the well thought out work that went into the sailing rules. I have to admit that I was worried about this. But you guys did a great job with it.

I do have a couple of minor nits however. Would you expect anything less from The Imperial Khan? I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

1st.) In contrast to the write-up on page 63, 16th-17th century Galleons rarely carried anything heavier than a 20 pounder. Although heavier cannons did exist then the ship's timbers couldn't stand the strain of the the recoil very well so they were mostly used as the guns of the fortresses. A typical galleon of the time was primarily armed with a mix of 6, 9 and 12 pounders plus a few heavier guns for use against fortresses. The 32, 24 and 18 pounders didn't come into general use at sea until the early to mid 18th century.

2nd.) The ship's boats were much bigger than the canoe on page 61. The smallest would have been size 3 and the biggest size 5 and capable of setting sail as well. Change the sizes and the canoe's stats will do in a pinch however.

3rd.) It took a lot longer than one turn to load those cannon. An experienced and very well-trained gun's crew could fire 3 rounds every five minutes. So under no circumstanses should that load time be under 2 minutes to load and fire and should actually start at around 5 minutes for an inexperienced crew.

4th.) And last, for when you start on the Vehicle Sourcebook I'd like to reccommend The Illustrated Guide to Nelson's Navy by Nicolas Blake and Richard Lawrence and The Wooden Fighting Ship in the Royal Navy by E.H.H. Archibald that could be of use to you.

See, I told you the nits were minor. ;)

Once again thanks for a great book.

Re: About Ultimate Vehicle

Originally posted by TheImperialKhan

I just got this yesterday and I want to compliment Bob and Steve on the excellent job they did with this one. A very well done to you both!

I'm especially pleased with the well thought out work that went into the sailing rules. I have to admit that I was worried about this. But you guys did a great job with it.

Thank you very much! I'm very glad you're enjoying it. :D

(As for the nits, I'll leave Steve to remark on them if he wants to.)