ahhh,, Newbies:)

TechnoViking

I started a new Champions campaign tonight, with all but one player a pretty much newbie to the Hero System.

One of the new players designed a cybernetic martial artist, a decent character, other than too much SPD and too low DEF and Stun. The character main problem was that he took Hunted by Mechanon and Warlord :). He even came up a decent reason for the hunted, but I was a nice GM and did not roll them and suggested he spend the points differently.

Mike

It's always fun to see the first few characters that people make..

Player 1 "I'll track him through the alleyway"

GM "Do you have any kind of tracking skill or power"

Player 1 "Ummm... Nope. I'll get (Player 2)'s guy to chase him down"

GM "Do you have a communications link with him, cell phone, walkie talkie?"

Player 1 "Umm...Nope"

GM "What do you have"

Player 1 " A huge gun, a magic sword, and body armor...":D

Mightybec

We were all newbies once

We all had to start somewhere. Champions is just a little bit easier to do for fledgling players and GMs.

Start off with simple combats to let people see how the system works and then start building in more complex elements. That's when the players start getting wise to Surveillance and Stealth and the Per Rolls to notice who is causing the problems.

Our first fights introduced main stays of the campaign like The Warlock and Cyclops (BOO HISS !), The Flame, Mindstorm and the Ranger (HURRAY !!)

But they were simple affairs. Even if the Warlock did indeed escape injury by having the helicoptor slammed on top of him, and we did wreck the OverKill device.

Tell the guy not to worry about it. I had one experienced hero player make up a hero hunted by eurostar. This was in a "dark" 4-color game. A game that I toldthe group could involve character death.

I warned him. He came up with a story that was pretty cool, but ended with Fiacho personally wanting him DEAD.

I warned him again. No-go, he wanted the points...

So, about the 4th game we played Eurostar (Fichao, Durak, and LeSone) showed up.

The leader of the group commanded the hero in question to run for it while they bought him time.

I have to say this much, the hero had balls. He charged right at Fiacho. Durak stunned him and Fiacho broke his spine like a twig in one segment. Then, Le Sone flew the hero up to the top of a 300' chimney and disposed of the corpse.

Die and learn...

;)

I liked this one.

GM: Ok, he hits you with a burst from his rifle. How much resistant PD do you have?

Player: Uh, 25

GM: Wow, 25... I didn't notice that. Let me see, again.......... Um, what kind of resistant PD is it?

Player: Armor

GM: ......... I don't see armor.

Player: *huff* Right here. Plus 25 PD OIF: Armor.

My Newbies

My current campaign had a buncha players playing with pre-generated characters built by yours truly (with some input from the players). Then, they became intrigued by the system and began borrowing books to cobble together their characters.

Last weekend, they put their characters into play. Despite my gagging on some of the characteristics (SPD 6 on two characters) and abilities (5d6 RKAs and 2d6 AP HKAs), I decided to let them go in as built.

They were pleased, and shocked at how powerful their characters were. They're looking at toning down their abilities...

... I haven't hit them with the devastation that a well-coordinated squad of agents can do to them yet...

Originally posted by Acroyear

GM: Wow, 25... I didn't notice that. Let me see, again.......... Um, what kind of resistant PD is it?

Player: Armor

GM: ......... I don't see armor.

Player: *huff* Right here. Plus 25 PD OIF: Armor.

Oh OUCH!

My players are also learning about the importance of resistant defenses in the next game... they've already seen what a lack of it can mean for regular agents.

A memory of newbie-ness

Many moons ago, our very first hero group created ran into the 'base-blowing-up-let's-get-out-of-here' scenario. Lo and behold - our escape appears from around the corner: a helicopter on a helipad! We all get in, my character in the pilot's seat, a detective heroine in the other pilot's seat and the rest bracing. Suddenly, my hero starts examining the controls and the first words out of his mouth send all the heroes jaws dropping:

"Now, let's see, how do you fly this thing?"

Everyone yells, "What?! You don't know how to fly this thing?"

My hero calmly replies, "No."

Another heroine says, "Get out of the seat. I'll fly it!"

The brick of the group stops her with, "Do YOU know how to fly?"

She replies, "Um, no."

My hero shrugs and starts flipping switches and levers. "Let's see now.. let's try this and this and this..." Meanwhile, the explosions are getting closer and closer. Fortunately, luck kicks in and we actually get off the ground and fly it... somewhat. We landed hard on a government helipad, unhurt, and hi-fived everyone. That was the episode that made us start buying skills. :)

Follow-up

Forgot to mention:

Some 100 experience pts later, our heroes are confident in their skills when we run across an armored boat with missiles, courtesy of VIPER. We decide to pilot it to go after some of VIPER's own boats. Guess what? No pilot skill for boats.

We all shrug and try again. We succeeded again and that was the beginning of everyone starting to buy Luck. As a matter of fact, anyone trying to join the group either has to have Luck or must purchase it soon after joining.

The group really does rely on it's Luck to get it through things sometimes and it's marvelous to see how synergistic the group is.