Understanding character costs for a newbie

mlud

I am a brand new newbie to the HERO System and I'm trying to get a handle on character costs.

Specifically, on pg. 189 of Champions, the Sapphire sheet lists: Running: 6"/12" and Flight: 15"/30". I know the flight for 15" was paid for with the Power-Riding, but I don't understand where the 30" is coming from--is that her maximum range, and if so, where is that paid for? I have the same question about the Running--where is the 12" coming from and where is its cost?

Finally, on pg. 196, Devastator has 10+20 Value for STR--does the 10 refer to his unarmored STR and the 20 refer to his STR when he has his battle armor on (or is it 30 STR when he has his battle armor on)?

I apologize for the utter newbieness of these questions, but I've never played RPG's before, and I just found out about HEROs a week ago. I'm in the process of getting my friends to put their Heroclix down and take a look at what seems to be an infinitely more realistic system to have comic book-like battles.

Thanks,

mlud

Re: Understanding character costs for a newbie

Originally posted by mlud

I am a brand new newbie to the HERO System and I'm trying to get a handle on character costs.

Welcome to the game, and the message boards! We are here to help. :)

Specifically, on pg. 189 of Champions, the Sapphire sheet lists: Running: 6"/12" and Flight: 15"/30". I know the flight for 15" was paid for with the Power-Riding, but I don't understand where the 30" is coming from--is that her maximum range, and if so, where is that paid for? I have the same question about the Running--where is the 12" coming from and where is its cost?

In the HERO System you have Combat Movement, and Non-Combat Movement. So a base character gets 6" of Running for free, but the character can move a Non-Combat Speed of 12". This is the same for Flight, or any other Movement Power. You can find out more about Non-Combat Movment by checking pages 9, 83, and 237.

Finally, on pg. 196, Devastator has 10+20 Value for STR--does the 10 refer to his unarmored STR and the 20 refer to his STR when he has his battle armor on (or is it 30 STR when he has his battle armor on)?

Yes, what the stats are showing is non-armored and armored values. When not wearing the armor Devastator has a 10 STR. When wearing the armor he has a 30 STR.

I apologize for the utter newbieness of these questions, but I've never played RPG's before, and I just found out about HEROs a week ago. I'm in the process of getting my friends to put their Heroclix down and take a look at what seems to be an infinitely more realistic system to have comic book-like battles.

No problem. Keep the questions coming. The HERO System has a steep learning curve, but once you get past that it is all gravy. We will help you out where we can.