Spell Suggestions

johnflang

I am creating a character who is a priest of magic and knowledge. I have a pretty good idea of spells that I want him to have. However, there are 3 spells that I would like that are not obvious to me how to create.

Spell 1 Copy book - this allows me to make a copy of the book. The special effect is I find a book. I cast the spell it create/writes to a scoll that is unintelligbile. Later when I have enough paper the scoll dissaptes into the blank paper and a copy of the book is made.

Spell 2 preserve paper - this allow to protect a document from the ravages of time and weather.

Spell 3 repair paper - recover writing on a scroll or takes peices of paper that were once one piece and make them whole again.

Any suggestions?

These are actually three different things, although the special effects are kinda similar. I would suggest 3 different powers.

>>>>Spell 1 Copy book<<<

In this case, what you are doing with the transfer to scroll is not copying the book, but carrying around a copy of the INFORMATION in the book in an unintelligle form, that you can later turn back into the book and read it. Since in this case you are copying something you already have, that's no big deal - although it would be a nifty spell for stealing stuff from libraries. It could also be used to carry secret information in an unreadable form.

My suggestion: minor transform - blank book into copy of book. Transform requires an OAF (scroll, which must be inserted between pages of book to be copied - probably counts as -1 1-/4, since you need the book to be copied) and trigger (insert between pages of a blank book and say the mgic word XEROX, +1/4) since this simulates the fact that the transform does not occur instantly and that you don't have the copied book on you until you trigger the spell.

>>>Spell 2 preserve paper <<<< Pretty straightforward, I think. As described, this does not make the book invulnerable (so you could still burn it, for example) but it will not fade, get dogeared and the ink won't run if it gets wet. Useful for an adventurer.

Suggestion: Change environment: dry, even temperature - only applies to paper (-1) continuous, uncontrollable at 0 END (+2). That should keep the book dry if immersed in water, but would not protect from the force of magical jet of high pressure water. In such an environment, the paper would age slowly, so it wouldn't last forever, but given how old some of the paper from various dry places in the world is, it should be good for a couple of thousand years.

>>>Spell 3 repair paper <<< This is different again - you don't want the paper back, you what what was written on it. Useful power - a scrap of a possibly incriminating letter beomes much more useful if you can regenerate the whole thing, including signatures!

Suggestion: retrocognition - only usable to reconstruct paper fragments (-3/4), usable by another (+1/4) - since you could give the reconstructed paper away to someone.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Mark