FANTASY HERO -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, Geoff, but that's probably exactly what's going to happen, particularly if it's likely that we can have it at GenCon. The schedule is a harsh taskmaster.

Steve,

Legend says that there's a placard hanging at a prominent place in Nintendo of America's headquarters in Redmond, WA.

It reads (and I'm paraphrasing here):

"A late game is only late until it's released. A bad game will be bad forever."

Schedules are all well and fine, but please bear this in mind and USE CAUTION.

I've been off the boards for a while, but here's something I'd like to see as a complete Hero newbie.

In D&D3, one of the things I liked as a DM was the Challange Rating system. It's by no means perfect, but it gives a reasonably good guide as to what level of characters can handle the creature. I'd like to see some kind of guidelines like this.

How dangerous is it for two 75+75 characters to take on 6 20pt skeletons? I honestly have no idea. Heck, I'm just now finally figuring out how to build spells and stuff.

Originally posted by Greatwyrm

How dangerous is it for two 75+75 characters to take on 6 20pt skeletons? I honestly have no idea. Heck, I'm just now finally figuring out how to build spells and stuff.

Unfortunately, you cannot tell how tough something is in combat merely by points alone. (Give those skeletons 20 points worth of Knowledge Skills, and they'd be pushovers.)

Digital Hero issue 3 has an article on "Effectiveness Rating" (which should probably be called "Combat Effectiveness Rating"). It seems to be intended for superheroic play, and I'm not sure how well it (a) scales to heroic level, or (B) handles groups of enemies, but it at least gives a starting point. I haven't used it myself; others may be able to give more concrete information on it.

Steve, another suggestion for Fantasy HERO:

I don't know if this has been covered before, but one of the major tropes for fantasy gaming thanks to (much less so fantasy fiction) is a differentiation between "arcane" and "divine" spellcasters.

More D&D influence, I guess.

Anyway, how about suggestions for making these two types of magic both distinct and balanced with each other in the same campaign?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Greatwyrm

Hell, I've never bothered about that exact difficulty 'rating' when GM:ing a game... If they don't have exceptionally hard time with those combats I set up, and the quest is otherwise averagely difficult for them, I'm giving each about two experience points. (Usually playing quite low powerlevel.)

On the other hand, if they get their ass kicked big time because the bad guys were even badder than they should have been, but still manage to win the day, I'm rewarding each with an extra point.

-- Which I will also do, if they find an incredibly cunning plan to get around them skeletons. If appropriate, add one point for marvelous roleplaying - particularly for something in character that they know is not a good idea but needs be done, or otherwise outstanding performance.

In short, they're getting usually two - to - four points a session. Mostly two, but if I'm they've done good, I'm happy, and the phase of moon is right, more it is. Anyone think this absolutely subjective method of mine is a bad way to handle them experience points? ;)

( Sorry -- I know I'm off topic. )

• 2 weeks later...

Non-western fantasy settings

Steve,

I'm currently involved in creating a simple RPG for a setting that a bunch of artists and writers in the Philippines have put together called Hinirang. However, as a fan of HERO, I will naturally do conversions of said setting...

I want to be able to do things like THIS in Fantasy HERO.

attachment.php?postid=62638

It should be capable of twisting to fit different settings AND evoke a sense of wonder. It should hopefully also tell us what areas to 'fill in' without taking the mystery out of the setting.

The walker is a Higante (Giant), and the creature the children are with is a Tikbalang.

You could certainly do that sort of thing with FH, KK. Obviously it doesn't have that specific spell or creature, but there's nothing in the book that says you can't have certain types of characters or spells or what have you. It's all up to the GM to define; the book is just a manual of instruction, advice, ideas, rules, and examples.

Actually there are a few more subject i would Like to suggest.

Since NCM (Normal Characteristics Maxima) was just noted by you as being in the purview of the Gm to set, how about a discussion of that since most Fh Games are Heroic?

especially "balancing various Nonhuman races" as well as a few possible notes on different disadvantages (like "Age" for certain races being a disadvantage based upon youth, not old age)

• 2 weeks later...