Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sesshomaru

Vampire Hero

Recommended Posts

Me and my freinds were trying to compose a Vampire campaighn for hero and couldn't think of any ideas for a cool story line or character packages. We kinda wanted it to be like Vampire Hunter D, the Anime move, but like i said we couldn't think of anything. Please write if you have any ideas or if you have anything to say on the subject. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Angel" the RPG

 

All of the PCs are people from various time periods previous to the 21st century. One night they are each attacked by a vampire. At the start of the game they awaken at the culmination of a ritual taking place in 2003. You see, they've all been marauding as soulless vampires since they were attacked and turned. A group of good-guy mystics captured a group of random vampires (the PCs) and remerged them with their souls so they could fight evil. If you don't like the "Angel" reference, call it "It Takes a Vampire." PCs can take additional disads for being from a time period in the very distant past (like the 5th Century). Such people will have a hard time understanding things like internal combustion engines, the internet, current women's fashion, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the idea, it sounds like it would be interesting. Especialy with some of the people i play with, but i was looking for something more classic. Old D style, with all types of evil that could realy mess with the PC's. But you have opend my eyes to new possibility, I'll put all the evil nasty things in the future. This should be fun. Write back if you have any thoughts. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: "Angel" the RPG

 

Originally posted by Supreme

All of the PCs are people from various time periods previous to the 21st century. One night they are each attacked by a vampire. At the start of the game they awaken at the culmination of a ritual taking place in 2003. You see, they've all been marauding as soulless vampires since they were attacked and turned. A group of good-guy mystics captured a group of random vampires (the PCs) and remerged them with their souls so they could fight evil. If you don't like the "Angel" reference, call it "It Takes a Vampire." PCs can take additional disads for being from a time period in the very distant past (like the 5th Century). Such people will have a hard time understanding things like internal combustion engines, the internet, current women's fashion, etc.

 

I bow before your brilliance... that Storyline was Truly.... Supreme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Re: "Angel" the RPG

 

Originally posted by MisterVimes

I bow before your brilliance... that Storyline was Truly.... Supreme

Aww, you're just buttering me up so I'll help you write all the background material. Seriously, doing vampires these days is hard work, especially if you care about doing something original. Vampires are the most over-used piece of folklore in pop-culture today. And so much of it these days are either urban vampire gangs (the Blade movies) or self-indulgent rave clubbers (Rice's Vampire Chronicles). I'd like to see vampires that are dirty, grubby, and of limited mental faculties. On "Buffy" it's been established that vampires, like most demons have a hard time evolving over time. That is to say that they have a hard time picking up new skills and adapting to the modern world.

 

I thought of a vampire idea a while back where the vamps are unable to develop long-term conditioning. They can remember where they've been and who they've interacted with, but they are utterly unable to learn new skills. Thus each successive generation of vampires is called upon to take care of the elder vampires (try explaining a internet chatroom to a 5th century vampire). Ultimately, all vampires become "kept". They live out their existences in hidden bases getting fed by younger vampires who are still able to function. Of course you'd need some reason why the younger vampires bother (like feeding from older vamps makes them stronger).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Re: Re: "Angel" the RPG

 

Originally posted by Supreme

Aww, you're just buttering me up so I'll help you write all the background material. Seriously, doing vampires these days is hard work, especially if you care about doing something original. Vampires are the most over-used piece of folklore in pop-culture today. And so much of it these days are either urban vampire gangs (the Blade movies) or self-indulgent rave clubbers (Rice's Vampire Chronicles). I'd like to see vampires that are dirty, grubby, and of limited mental faculties. On "Buffy" it's been established that vampires, like most demons have a hard time evolving over time. That is to say that they have a hard time picking up new skills and adapting to the modern world.

 

I thought of a vampire idea a while back where the vamps are unable to develop long-term conditioning. They can remember where they've been and who they've interacted with, but they are utterly unable to learn new skills. Thus each successive generation of vampires is called upon to take care of the elder vampires (try explaining a internet chatroom to a 5th century vampire). Ultimately, all vampires become "kept". They live out their existences in hidden bases getting fed by younger vampires who are still able to function. Of course you'd need some reason why the younger vampires bother (like feeding from older vamps makes them stronger).

 

In other words, they're more like a disease than a species... I like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just as an addendum that I know you might be interested in:

 

From IMDB.com

 

Have Faith in 'Buffy'

 

Buffy The Vampire Slayer will live on after star Sarah Michelle Gellar quits at the end of the season - her replacement has been chosen from amongst the current cast. Eliza Dushku, who plays Faith, is now to become the central character in the supernatural show, enabling Gellar to return for the occasional cameo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by MisterVimes

And just as an addendum that I know you might be interested in:

 

From IMDB.com

 

Have Faith in 'Buffy'

 

Buffy The Vampire Slayer will live on after star Sarah Michelle Gellar quits at the end of the season - her replacement has been chosen from amongst the current cast. Eliza Dushku, who plays Faith, is now to become the central character in the supernatural show, enabling Gellar to return for the occasional cameo.

Well aware already, but thanks. This is actually still in discussion over at Mutant Enemy (the folks who make the show). They've also been talking about a "Dawn the Vampire Slayer" show too. Of course all of this is going to be thrown into a bit of disarray now that "Firefly" has been cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Angel" the RPG

 

Originally posted by MisterVimes

In other words, they're more like a disease than a species... I like that.

Yes. More specifically an addiction. I get very strict when it comes to the treatment of concepts like "evolution" and "species". The defining characteristic of a species is the ability to procreate with fertile offspring. Outside of Southeastern Asia (i.e., China, Japan, Korea, etc.) vampire folklore never really shows vampires reproducing. Even Anne Rice went so far as to expressly state in "The Vampire Lestat" that vampires are unable to procreate (she even implies that the males are impotent).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Supreme

Well aware already, but thanks. This is actually still in discussion over at Mutant Enemy (the folks who make the show). They've also been talking about a "Dawn the Vampire Slayer" show too. Of course all of this is going to be thrown into a bit of disarray now that "Firefly" has been cancelled.

 

*sigh* Firefly... I hate FOX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Angel" the RPG

 

Originally posted by Supreme

Yes. More specifically an addiction. I get very strict when it comes to the treatment of concepts like "evolution" and "species". The defining characteristic of a species is the ability to procreate with fertile offspring. Outside of Southeastern Asia (i.e., China, Japan, Korea, etc.) vampire folklore never really shows vampires reproducing. Even Anne Rice went so far as to expressly state in "The Vampire Lestat" that vampires are unable to procreate (she even implies that the males are impotent).

 

And... Southeast Asian Vampires are only "Vampires" by western definition... an attentpt to pigeonhole an 'alien' mythology into one that fits a recognized folklore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Angel" the RPG

 

Originally posted by MisterVimes

And... Southeast Asian Vampires are only "Vampires" by western definition... an attentpt to pigeonhole an 'alien' mythology into one that fits a recognized folklore.

True. Though they do sneak around in the dark, have fangs, and drink human blood. Of course almost every culture has some kind of blood-sucking, shadow-walking creature in their folklore. Europe just happens to have one that's a reanimated corpse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Supreme

You and me both. First "The Tick" and now "Firefly". Have they NO sense of good programs - or how to promote them?

 

Preach on brother! Every night on FX they promote John Doe during the Buffy reruns... Not ONCE did I see an ad for Firefly with even a small 'From the creators of Buffy'...

 

ARRRRRGH!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Angel" the RPG

 

Originally posted by Supreme

True. Though they do sneak around in the dark, have fangs, and drink human blood. Of course almost every culture has some kind of blood-sucking, shadow-walking creature in their folklore. Europe just happens to have one that's a reanimated corpse.

 

So I've noticed... the Penagallan is my favorite (fillipino?) asian vampire. Any chick whose head and guts detatch and fly around by their hair is my kind of girl...

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supreme, that is a wonderful Vampire Killers scenario. Oh the angst for the heroes.

 

This is one of those games where the GM could even hand the characters out, disoriented temporary amnesia for the "rehumanized" and let the players sort out their past over a few adventures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Agent X

Supreme, that is a wonderful Vampire Killers scenario. Oh the angst for the heroes.

 

This is one of those games where the GM could even hand the characters out, disoriented temporary amnesia for the "rehumanized" and let the players sort out their past over a few adventures.

(Bow Supreme)

Thank you. I'm not always a fan of angst, but I thought that wasn't too bad. Interestingly, I was thinking about it as I wrote. Totally off the Cuff Supreme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Supreme

(Bow Supreme)

Thank you. I'm not always a fan of angst, but I thought that wasn't too bad. Interestingly, I was thinking about it as I wrote. Totally off the Cuff Supreme.

 

Hey, what's your favorite type of pizza? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Supreme

Sorry, I'm on the Atkins diet. No pizza for me. Ribs are fine, though.

:D

 

Ah Adkins... Steak and Bleu Cheese every night... but no cookies... *sigh*

 

BTW... Buffy last night had a HUGE number of great plot hooks for any Vampire/Teen Hero game. Especially the last scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by MisterVimes

Ah Adkins... Steak and Bleu Cheese every night... but no cookies... *sigh*

 

BTW... Buffy last night had a HUGE number of great plot hooks for any Vampire/Teen Hero game. Especially the last scene.

Yeah, though stolen heavily from "Two Towers" it did bring something of a chill to even my Spine Supreme. Makes you wonder how much more power the ancient guys were going to offer her. Maybe they would have turned her into what she became at the end of Season Four. Yeesh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Supreme

Yeah, though stolen heavily from "Two Towers" it did bring something of a chill to even my Spine Supreme. Makes you wonder how much more power the ancient guys were going to offer her. Maybe they would have turned her into what she became at the end of Season Four. Yeesh!

 

Simple rules to follow in any Horror genre, if they offer you great power and it involes chaining you up... you say NO!... Just a rule I follow, one of many..

 

But that was a Crap-Ton of Primal Vamps wasn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Angel" the RPG

 

Originally posted by Supreme

True. Though they do sneak around in the dark, have fangs, and drink human blood. Of course almost every culture has some kind of blood-sucking, shadow-walking creature in their folklore. Europe just happens to have one that's a reanimated corpse.

 

Funny enough, the infamous Hopping Vampire didn't actually drink blood. It would feed on human breath. When they started featuring them in HK cinema, they went with the blood drinking for the Mr. Vampire and other films to feature them.

 

I found this out while doing research for a setting I did using All Flesh Must Be Eaten (using the material in their HK book, Enter the Zombie). When it came time to make the vamps, I made two kinds: one who drinks blood, and one who feeds on human breath (in AFMBE terms, that was Chi/Essence).

 

Not having seen Ninja Hero yet, I am not sure how I would do it in HERO terms though. Endurance is the closest thing to Essence, but they would also drain body as the feeding can kill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Angel" the RPG

 

Originally posted by urbwar

Funny enough, the infamous Hopping Vampire didn't actually drink blood. It would feed on human breath. When they started featuring them in HK cinema, they went with the blood drinking for the Mr. Vampire and other films to feature them.

 

I found this out while doing research for a setting I did using All Flesh Must Be Eaten (using the material in their HK book, Enter the Zombie). When it came time to make the vamps, I made two kinds: one who drinks blood, and one who feeds on human breath (in AFMBE terms, that was Chi/Essence).

 

Not having seen Ninja Hero yet, I am not sure how I would do it in HERO terms though. Endurance is the closest thing to Essence, but they would also drain body as the feeding can kill.

 

You don't suppose you could thwart these by drinking only rainwater and pure grain alcohol do you? ;)

 

 

I suppose you could say that vampires have been "done to death", but that would probably be in poor taste, and probably only partially accurate. You can always change up how vampires are created, and they tie in pretty well with a variety of other nightmarish creatures (demons of various sorts is really what I was thinking of). Movies and literature seem to agree that being bitten by a vampire is a critical part of becoming one, but at that point there are several variations on the theme. Sometimes you have to drink the vampire's blood, sometimes you have to be bitten a certain number of times, sometimes you have to have all of your blood drained, sometimes you have to have some of your blood drained and you slowly change over the next several days.

 

I think one of the more interesting things to do would be to let the players know that a few of the genre rules are going to be bent a bit, and then change some characteristics of vampirism. Maybe it's a genetic disorder that takes over later in life, maybe it's a result of a close encounter with a demon of some sort, maybe it's even a result of possession by a migrant demon (say the demon gets "stuck" in the body until it dies, but at that point is free to start searching for another likely body to inhabit). Can vampires create other vampires, or can they only create zombies of some variety, or do they only kill? Do they actually have control over their creations, or are they autonomous? Will a vampire actually live forever barring a freak accident or direct action on an entity's part? What powers, if any, do vampires possess? Hypnotism? Can they change shape? Are they bulletproof?

 

Another topic to tackle is the slayers themselves. If the vampires aren't overwhelmingly powerful, it's reasonable that the slayers are just relatively ordinary people who've had a close encounter of some sort with a vampire (loved one killed, or the slayer was actually attacked and got away somehow). Otherwise the slayers probably have to be exceptional people (special ops or enhanced humans of some sort). Is there a large organization of slayers, or are there just a bunch of lone slayers and small teams wandering around? Do the slayers work for the government or are they on their own trying to stay under the government's radar? Why haven't the slayers gone public? Why haven't the vampires gone public?

 

I guess that was actually more questions than ideas, but maybe answering them will give you more of a starting point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...