What's the best method of introducing HERO System to newbies

TheQuestionMan

Re: What's the best method of introducing HERO System to newbies

HELP !!! I am starting my BATTLETECH HERO campaign tonight and I need advice on introducing HERO System to newbies . They have previous RPG experience and know the BATTLETECH rules .

BUT where do YOU start with HERO System ???

Give an experienced Gm a chance to expose HERO System to new gamers !!!

I havent had a chance to employee it yet, but the next time I go fishing for new players, Sidekick will definitely be in my bait box....

It's not so bad. I would make the characters up with the newbies, but only after having them describe what they wanted in a fair amount of detail. Then I'd walk them through sample combats (or using other skills) in an out of character way (non-threatening). It's worth it!!

-Shelley

If you are running a battletech-universe game, and the players are familiar with the Battle tech system, I'd get them to give you (ahead of time) some battletech game system characters and convert them over. Play one or two "intro" sessions with these characters so people:

a) know what to expect in terms of what their characters can do

B) get some feel for the rules

Then you can either make new ones from scratch or simply go ahead with the ones you started with. Even though they start out as "standard characters", my experince is that theystart to diverge and individualise pretty rapidly, as people realise they can add ko0l skilz

cheers, Mark

It's not so bad. I would make the characters up with the newbies, but only after having them describe what they wanted in a fair amount of detail. Then I'd walk them through sample combats (or using other skills) in an out of character way (non-threatening). It's worth it!!

-Shelley

Agreed, at the end of character creation for any new system (or modified existing system they know), I always run a combat first. Unless I plan something special, this will be a "dream" combat that one of the PCs is having...(which PC? the winner of course! ^_-) This lets them get a feel for the combat side of the system, including it's lethality, and let's them know what to expect accordingly. Usually I just let them face of against each other (board/mapped combat), but occasionally I will throw in other foes to face. (Facing off against each other is not a bad idea, since they will now know what they can expect from their equivalent NPCs...The only problem could occur if you have vindictive players who might try to get revenge in-game later...In which case have them fight generic NPCs.)

After combat, if they wish to "tweak" their characters, I allow changes before the game starts, as long as they're not just making themselves even more combat machines...8 Levels into Handgun! :-P

Oh, and as far as introducing them to the system goes...since it's just Battletech this will be easy, since there are no powers inolved. Just go through it step by step with them...attributes...talents....perks....skills....equipment....GO!

Rob

BUT where do YOU start with HERO System ???

For me its simple. I create the character and give them a character sheet completely devoid of point costs. DO NOT MENTION ANY CALCULATIONS! This is extremely important. I've been able to run games with total rpg newbies just fine. The players only gets to act when I call out their name (from the speed chart) and whenever they do anything they roll three dice. From the die roll I determine if they hit or succeed at a skill. I also convert all killing damage to its normal DC equivalent (that way they only have to learn one way of figuring damage; it still bypasses PD as normal).

It works for me.

Aaron

A little late to post this, so I hope it went well.

I recently taught my group the system (except for 3 who sort-of knew it, its been a few years). For the first few games, I made sure to explain everything - we had a test combat first, then went over it again when it came up in the actual session. I had to explain the "normal dice" and "killing dice" rolls (for Str checks w/Body, etc). When skills came up, I'd explain how those worked, when a character was stunned I explained that, etc. Lots of explanation. But it seems to have worked pretty well - most people don't have major questions (which is odd, since after a few years, I still got d20 questions). Of course, I have gone easy on them, and it's a fantasy game, so there aren't a lot of powers (or spells) yet. I did run a few champions games so they got a taste of different powers, so that may have prepared them.

My biggest advice then is take it slow and explain. I made sample characters for some people, others designed their own (with help and guidance, of course). In a few more sessions, I'm going to allow a "reboot" - let the players drop those skills or whatever that aren't used (things they thought they might need, or misunderstood how they worked, etc), letting the players take better advantage of the system now that they understand what they are doing (of course, I have to approve everything, as usual).