City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Or bank building. All 22 level 50s in my SG has been exemplaring in pretty much any mission they can grab' date=' building up their influence amounts in anticipation of needing lots and lots and lots of it to have a really keen base for our group.[/quote']

Unfortunately, the word is that there will be a new thing, 'prestige' last I heard, that supergroups will have to earn to build their base. Influence won't be of any help with superbases.

I got 50 a few days ago on one character. That unlocked the two alien archetypes' date=' so I went in and made a character. After brief play, I got bored with them.[/quote']

Congrats! Sooner or later I'll start moving ahead again with my Warshade. They do seem to get a bit more interesting as time goes on.

Any word on if they're working on a post 50th level expansion?

Positron says they are working on endgame content that will make you eager to dust off your 50 and quest again. Expect it within the next year. In the meantime, I have a pretty nice Invuln/SS tanker build for I5. At the CoH boards, look in the Player Guides section for "Kara's Watch Out for Self and Survive Build".

Guest George Kirby

Thanks for the info.

I don't follow builds. I just select things as they come. My characters end up less optimized and it takes me longer to level, but then it's all about the challenges.

Amen. I read threads about optimizing power sets and what the best range of enhancement options are and I yawn and turn away. I don't believe in min/maxing and pick and choose my powers/enhancements by what I think works best at the time.

I don't set out to min/max - I choose more of a concept and go with that. Oddly enough, I finally used my free respec from I4 about two months ago, and redid my Controller for more solo play. (I had been teaming with some friends, but schedules changed, and I was teamless more often than not). Anyway, once I5 went live, it turned out that I had inadvertently almost optimized my build.

Fortunately, I won't be able to say that same about any of my alts - some of which were selected with power sets that are among the worst in their AT, but thematically appropriate to the costume or the background.

Amen. I read threads about optimizing power sets and what the best range of enhancement options are and I yawn and turn away. I don't believe in min/maxing and pick and choose my powers/enhancements by what I think works best at the time.

Thats exactly how I feel. None of my characters are min/maxed. All my characters have a preconceived theme. I mean I have a FF/Energy with no little bubbles because it doesnt fit the character.

Guest George Kirby

Thats exactly how I feel. None of my characters are min/maxed. All my characters have a preconceived theme. I mean I have a FF/Energy with no little bubbles because it doesnt fit the character.

All of my characters are based on their name and their theme in the same precise way.

My characters are too. Kara is based on Kara Zor-El (Supergirl), Hela is based on Hela the goddess (dark/dark scrapper), Sinmora is based on the Norse Sinmora (Queen of the Fire Giants), Skadi is based on the Norse goddess of winter and the hunt (Skadi the Juton Giantess), SvZurich is based on my alter-ego Baroness Sylvia von Zurich (Austrian secret agent), and so forth.

That being said, I do hit the forums for slotting advice and too see which powers are useful. That information changes from issue to issue, and I don't want to respec my characters any more often than I have to with each issue. I hoard my TF respecs.

Guest George Kirby

That being said' date=' I do hit the forums for slotting advice and too see which powers are useful. That information changes from issue to issue, and I don't want to respec my characters any more often than I have to with each issue. I hoard my TF respecs.[/quote']

This is the min/max part.

True, but it is min/max to fit my concept. Quite a few powers ARE useless (all passive Invulns are weak), and I want efficiency. Comes from being the Dungeon Master/Gamemaster ever since I was 12, and being a number crunching geek in real life. 19 years later, I am damn good at designing for efficiency and flexibility. So long as my concept is met first and foremost, I have no problems min/maxing to increase prowess.

I used that third part utility (Hero Builder? Something like that) once to try and figure out what order to put my powers in following a respec. But that was more a matter of not wanting to keep clicking forward and back and keep reslotting things for hours on end until I was happy with the order and got all my existing enhancements slotted.

In fact, the time after that (because my respec left me with too few attack powers), I repsec'd him again without the forethought, and wound up with a whole bunch of enhancements I couldn't use and a whole bunch of empty enhancement slots on my powers. It really didn't net out well. In fact, to this day, that character is underpowered for his level just because the net loss of influence from doing two respecs and rebuying enhancements.

That's just a cautionary tale. And a note that not everything from the CoH forums is useless :)

I'm in the beta - I'm not on too much right now (curse you, part-time evening work that I have to do periodically)... but if you want to hit me up at @Dan Bones (first new toon I rolled, and figured "Mister Bones" would be copyright-problematical)... feel free.

Otherwise, I have four level 50s now on Infinity, and I'm slowly working up my other four toons, and not playing too many lowbie alts right now.

Feel free to send a tell to Dirtmaster (level 35 earth/storm), Clone Arranger (32 ill/rad), Pink Ronin (37 kat/regen), or Porcupine Paul (38 spine/dark). My friends lists are pretty empty these days, but pick-up groups have wanted me more, and not had too many idiots usually... with 4 toons in the 30s, the 30s are BOOOORING now that I did Croatoa twice (on Clone and then Dirt). Gotta pick one and get to 40 and get back into the Malta/Carnie/Praetorian stuff again.

I also have some toons scattered on Champion, Liberty, and Pinnacle. And one level 22 kin/rad on Freedom, I think... who could really use a full set of SOs (yes, I winter lorded that one... shoulda done so with a lot more alts in retrospect, oh well).

Oh, and by the way, Verxion's Hero Planner is GREAT GREAT GREAT. I plan ... a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

4 additional slots per server means I won't have to delete any toons!

I also love the fact that we are having a free month added to our subscription, effectively making CoV only $35! :D

Thank you Crytic and NCSoft!

Kimmie, who had just spread this good news at the IG board that I moderate.

4 additional slots per server means I won't have to delete any toons!

I also love the fact that we are having a free month added to our subscription, effectively making CoV only $35!

I might still have to delete a couple toons - I'm really liking the villain ATs, now that I am in beta. (Oddly enough, I got my time-based invite just before I would have gotten my pre-order based beta invite). I might have a couple of my heroes "fall" - just to see what it's like. And at least one villain is going to be redeemed.

Dangit. CoV is just going to be too kewl. Curse you, NCSoft! :thumbup:

/spits

Y'all had best take a hard look at this "Enhancement Diversification" thread. It is complete and utter cr*pola.

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3826972&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Actually, it's not that bad. The only powers that really should get hit hard by this are some of the pool powers and some of the defensive ones (anything which is always on and has no END cost). In theory, all attack powers should have increases to range, accuracy, damage, hold, disorient, recharge, reduced end, etc - there's a good variety from which to choose, and if you slot only Damage, you're not actually doing yourself any favors.

OTOH, something like Stamina doesn't have nearly that range - IIRC, you can only have the enhancement which increases the rate of END recovery. Powers like that get hit hard by this.

I'm tentatively okay with it, provided there is a caveat about powers which only have 1-2 types of enhancements available.

Edit - thinking it over a bit more, I really don't care all that much how it affects Stamina. So I won't get nearly as much out of slots 3-6 as I do now. Big deal. It's not as though I can't afford to keep them maxed out anyway. I have 4 million influence, and nothing to buy until I hit lvl 42, by which point I should have quite4 a bit more. Unless you slot everything into the powers which only have a couple enhancements available, this shouldn't be an issue until the mid-30s, at which point, influence really doesn't matter all that much.

On the linked thread, someone stated how this would turn off the causual player from the game.

Guess what? The casual player doesn't wrry about how to min/max their characters, they just play to have fun.