City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

I'm a permanent MMO newbie. I generally avoid them simply because a lot of the elements present in MMOs mentioned (e.g., PvP, lewt, FoTM, farming) are things that I have absolutely no interest in.

When I first heard about CoH, I was skeptical simply because I could not see the expected MMO tropes to work with the superhero genre. A friend who was playing CoH introduced me to the game and showed me how Cryptic and NCSoft had managed to create a MMO that, well, didn't behave like a MMO.

When some of those elements began to creep into the game (like PvP), obviously due to pressure from the MMO-heavy crowd, my interest waned. After a while, I just stopped playing it enough to warrant the subscription and went cold-turkey.

Now, three years later, I'm back to playing it and rediscovering that what made me enjoy it is still there.

This is all a long-winded way of explaining my viewpoint. I like CoH for the ways it isn't a MMO. And one of the main ways it isn't is the fact that the fun of the game is getting to Level 50 (something I hadn't achieved yet after two years of playing). It's the journey, not the destination.

I'm going to be deleting my characters and closing my account in a couple of weeks. But I have accumulated a considerable amount of stuff and am more than willing to give it away to players who need it. If you're interested I plan to be under the Atlas statue this Sunday at noon EST. Guardian server.

Among the things I will have to give away are the recipe for Rocket Boots and about 30 million+ in Influence.

I hate to see it all go to waste when I leave, so come and get it.

I'm going to be deleting my characters and closing my account in a couple of weeks. But I have accumulated a considerable amount of stuff and am more than willing to give it away to players who need it. If you're interested I plan to be under the Atlas statue this Sunday at noon EST. Guardian server.

Among the things I will have to give away are the recipe for Rocket Boots and about 30 million+ in Influence.

I'd take you up on that, assuming I have any relevant enough characters on Guardian (I tend to stick to Protector for most of my important heroes), but I'm a faihful church attendee and actually have an afternoon activity this Sunday, so I wouldn't be around to receive your largesse.

If it helps, I let my account go inactive instead of closing it three years ago, and didn't delete my chars. I've jumped back in last month to find my faves still there and I'm having fun getting back in the groove. You might not want to burn the bridge behind you, so to speak, just in case you get the urge to come back.

In any case, good luck to you, sir. Hope you had fun while it lasted. :)

Why do this? I understand canceling your account, but why delete your characters? CoH will keep your characters in their DB for a *long* time, so you could come back on free weekends, or even in a couple years you might get that CoH bug and want to play again, your characters will be waiting for you...

-shnar

In the past when I've done that at MMOs, the account has been hacked, used to powerlevel, spam the other players, and there have been charge backs on it. I don't wish to go through that again. Also according to the user agreement CoX will delete accounts that have had no activity for more than two months. So the characters would be deleted anyway. I might as well make a clean break.

In the past when I've done that at MMOs' date=' the account has been hacked, used to powerlevel, spam the other players, and there have been charge backs on it. I don't wish to go through that again. Also according to the user agreement CoX will delete accounts that have had no activity for more than two months. So the characters would be deleted anyway. I might as well make a clean break.[/quote']

Huh.

Like I said, my account sat inactive for close to three years, and I had no problem getting back. All my toons were even still there!

No worries, though. I certainly wouldn't want to push you into something you're not comfortable doing.

Stay frosty! :D

Also according to the user agreement CoX can delete accounts that have had no activity for more than two months. So the characters would be deleted anyway. I might as well make a clean break.

My emphasis.

To my knowledge they have yet to delete any. You might come back and find their names have been taken though.

Regarding account safety: you should be able to control your account from the NCSoft account page to prevent any credit card transactions taking place. In fact since I don't play any other NCSoft games I just deleted my card details when I left. Thats all you should need to do to be safe.

My emphasis.

To my knowledge they have yet to delete any. You might come back and find their names have been taken though.

But only if your characters are below a certain level, IIRC. I had a bunch of <10 level toons that got the "this name may have been taken" message, but all my top-level toons were nice and safe.

I even got a bunch of veteran badges and bennies when I logged back in! :D

I gave CoH a fair go a number of months back, got my hero, Blast Bolt to level 44 or so.

But then boredom hit, and I really struggled to log in and level to the cap. I absolutely love the community in CoH, and the RPer's are great (had my first real taste of online RP there, taking part in someone origin story RP event), but the levelling and content got stale fast for me. Just my personal opinion of course.

I'm currently juggling between Champions Online and Lord of the Rings, and enjoying both immensely! :D

Your characters will sit safely, might lose their names, but remain intact. My characters, made years ago and mostly untouched since shortly after CoV came out, are still there waiting for me. Whenever CoX sends out free weekend notices, I log into them and look around. No need to delete.

Thank you Doc, your generosity is appreciated but it will be a shame if you never come back to the game- far fewer true heroes on CoH than I am happy with. :mad:

Anyways, thank you for the boots and experience.:thumbup:

No. Her origin involves being a former rifle instructor in the Marines, but never being assigned to a combat unit because she's a woman. After her 4th tour of duty Gunnery Sergeant Marie Dulaine retired from the Corps and started patrolling the mean streets of Paragon City as Gunmetal Silk.

But she has no qualms against using her figure to distract the bad guys before she shoots them. ;)

No. Her origin involves being a former rifle instructor in the Marines, but never being assigned to a combat unit because she's a woman. After her 4th tour of duty Gunnery Sergeant Marie Dulaine retired from the Corps and started patrolling the mean streets of Paragon City as Gunmetal Silk.

But she has no qualms against using her figure to distract the bad guys before she shoots them. ;)

[Jack]"Well, if you gotta go, I always say go with a smile..."[/Jack] :eg:

They just came out with a Martial Artist Booster Pack. $9.99 gets you a couple emotes' date=' some costumes, and the Ninja Run ability.[/quote']

Ninja Run? What is that, running while stealthed? Running with one arm back with sword extended and the other steadying yoru back pack?

Ninja Run? What is that... Running with one arm back with sword extended and the other steadying yoru back pack?

Basically, yes. You also get Super Jump, and will flip mid air when you jump. It works on all characters starting at level 4, so it's basically a travel power that doesn't use up a power slot.

Pics:

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showpost.php?p=2401031&postcount=228

Ninja Run? What is that' date=' running while stealthed? Running with one arm back with sword extended and the other steadying yoru back pack?[/quote']

The second one. It stacks with sprint and gives you good leaping. SS & SL are still better, but it's great with other stuff.