City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

I play frequently, split between Guardian and Freedom. I play blue & yellow sides on Guardian where I have a SG, and I play red and blue sides on Freedom, where I have a VG.

From what I know (which isn't much, I think) about the upcoming F2P hybridization, people who stay subscribed (like I intend to) will be VIPs, people who were subscribed in the past but choose to "go free" will be Premiums.

I play frequently, split between Guardian and Freedom. I play blue & yellow sides on Guardian where I have a SG, and I play red and blue sides on Freedom, where I have a VG.

From what I know (which isn't much, I think) about the upcoming F2P hybridization, people who stay subscribed (like I intend to) will be VIPs, people who were subscribed in the past but choose to "go free" will be Premiums.

What does "Premium" mean in that context, then? If I'm subscribed now but choose to go free-account, do I lose anything?

JG

What does "Premium" mean in that context, then? If I'm subscribed now but choose to go free-account, do I lose anything?

JG

I'd check the CoH FAQ on the subject to be sure, but I think you wind up having most of your characters deactivated.

I still play occasionally, but haven't had much time. Barely scratched the surface of incarnates. I checked out Beta as well and it looks nice.

I play off-and-on on Virtue. I like the gameplay more than Champions online, and I like the graphics style a _lot_ better than CO. Which is kinda sad, as I got a lifetime subscription on Champions Online.

If you were a subscriber and go free-to-play, you lose access to most of your characters ( You get to choose which ones you keep, or just choose empty slots and start new characters. They don't go away, they are just greyed out until you unlock more character slots. ). Depending on how long you've been subscribed, you might lose access to some archetypes and any characters that have those archetypes. And if you had an Incarnate character, you lose access to their Incarnate powers. But beyond that, you keep everything.

I did read that the Incarnate powers are going to be VIP only, so you'd need a subscription to get them back. There won't be a way to buy them with points.

I've been kind of itching to come back with a lot of the changes Paragon Studios has made, but my PC didn't handle the updated graphics well, and I didn't want to pay for two subs since I wouldn't be devoting a lot of time to it. Since I've put Windows on my iMac (I know, I'm a heretic), the first problem is solved, and now that my brother in law is hooking me up with a sub, the second is solved.

Champions has gotten to the point that it runs pretty well now on my machine, but I still don't like the combat system much, nor the way the characters or the overall graphic design looks. I could get over the graphics, but I don't like the feel of "driving" the character so to speak. Whereas I loved the feel of controlling the character in CoH, but quit the first time due to the game not having much high end content, and being seduced away by WoW. (Which has fallen into a bit of a rut design-wise, with all the new stuff feeling the same, so quit it to sub to DDO. Ah, I'm a fickle one, aren't I?)

I did read that the Incarnate powers are going to be VIP only, so you'd need a subscription to get them back. There won't be a way to buy them with points.

I've been kind of itching to come back with a lot of the changes Paragon Studios has made, but my PC didn't handle the updated graphics well, and I didn't want to pay for two subs since I wouldn't be devoting a lot of time to it. Since I've put Windows on my iMac (I know, I'm a heretic), the first problem is solved, and now that my brother in law is hooking me up with a sub, the second is solved.

Champions has gotten to the point that it runs pretty well now on my machine, but I still don't like the combat system much, nor the way the characters or the overall graphic design looks. I could get over the graphics, but I don't like the feel of "driving" the character so to speak. Whereas I loved the feel of controlling the character in CoH, but quit the first time due to the game not having much high end content, and being seduced away by WoW. (Which has fallen into a bit of a rut design-wise, with all the new stuff feeling the same, so quit it to sub to DDO. Ah, I'm a fickle one, aren't I?)

We miss you though.

I may have to re up when I'm re employed try some of the new stuff out.

You saw the above posts saying that soon you can play (at least some of) your old characters for free? You'll probably have only 2 slots to spend, since I don't think you subscribed for very long, but it's still free.

I still play. I've been spending some time on the Beta server lately and I also play on Champion. I have a few 50's (only one "tricked out") and while I play a couple of times per week at least I'm pretty casual about it. Lately I've been doing trials (level 50 raids) and getting badges from old missions. 870 badges so far.

I think it's time for a new roll call of Global name and characters you can be found playing and what server.

I'll start.

@psilancer (global)

Champion: Psilancer, Hawkguy Ripoff, Wild Irish Rose, Black Tiger (hero side)

El Diablo Rojo (villian side)

Pinnacle: Miss Howler, Flurrious, Paragon Gold (hero side)

Virtue: Uranium Rounds (hero side)

Dame Tod (villain side)

Defiant: Lady Defiance (Praetoria)

IOs are only better than SOs after lvl 35.

The best breakdown is this.

below 14- anything

15-24 - IOs

25-35 - SOs

36+ - IOs

That is unless you can get SOs between 20 and 25, then they are superior to the IOs at that point.

I'm @Marama global

Liberty:

Hero Side: Sureshot, Android Zero, Gamma-Fury (used to be in a -Fury themed SG), Sans Merci

Praetorian: Lord Corvus

Villain Side: Alquist, Muerto Oscuro, Lily Empusa, and a few more

Freedom:

Hero Side: Marama

Champion:

Hero Side: Lord Corvus, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Mister Tawny, Maxine

Villain Side: Contessa Winter

I'm not sure which of these I'm going to end up playing. I need to figure out how things work again. I'll likely finish Sureshot, as he's 41.

Edit: I've added a few more names of Liberty alts, some old, some new. I'm spazzing out again with altitis, like a kid in a candy store with all the new power/costume combos. I've put a few levels on all of my old alts, and made as many new alts over the last week or so.

Say' date=' did they reduce the range on blasters' attacks (AR if it matters)? Seems like I have to get more up close and personal now. Of course, when I logged in my blaster, it was after a 1700 day break, so maybe I'm misremembering.[/quote']

Nope, no range nerfs in the past 4.5 years I've been playing my various and sundry Blasters, including an AR/Dev.

I'm mostly on Liberty at the moment, working on my old, old guys and my Mastermind. Want to get him to 20 to unlock the villain epic archetypes.

I've got a LOT of reading up to do with all the enhancement changes. Can the IOs be obtained via auction house (or w/e it's called in CoH), or do they have to be crafted by the character using them? I keep seeing recent mention on the CoH forums of perma-hasten. Is that back? Obtainable only with IOs, I take it? Or obtainable with SOs?(Found that info finally.)

I changed my global a while back to match my forum name: gameboy1234

There's also the Hero Boards global channel which is still around. It's currently public, anyone can join. You can chat with other hero folks no matter which server you're playing on.