City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

(edit2: I blame Pattern Ghost for reminding me of my failure. If he were a minion of one of my villains' date=' I'd have to kill him... :D)[/quote']

Boy you must have flunked your SuperVillain class: Minion Management 101. You don't kill them, you have one of your Lieutenants do it. :eg:

;)

And... the CoH servers are currently down.

[drums fingers on desk]

[Checks server status again]

[drums fingers some more, brushes away pesky kitty wanting to know what the noise is for]

[still waiting]

Why can't we be downloading the I21 patch while they are doing their maintenance/installs/upgrades? Grrr.

So, I was taking my Brute out for a spin last night. He'd hit 45 and I'd forgotten that you had to do a quest chain to unlock Patron Power Pools, so I started the Ghost Widow version of the chain. I was pretty unimpressed by the sheer beating he was taking with a full set of green SO enhancements slotted. Is it just that Longbows are pretty tough, or is /Dark Armor not that durable of a set? I could just be bad, too, but his powers aren't really that hard to grok. Seems like /Dark relies a bit too much on self healing, with the one regen power having a long cooldown.

I'm not sure if I'm liking the damage ramp up fury mechanic solo, either.

Maybe I just need to find the sweet spot in the settings for solo between taking enough beating to pump my damage up faster, and face planting.

Dark Armor isn't the best armor for a brute, no. Also, Longbow Nullifiers have some rather potent debuffs, on top of what regular Longbow minions can do. Even if you're running at par, Longbow will give you trouble.

Single Origin enhancements are the baseline for game balance. If you want to get better performance out of your brute, look at Invention Origin and Invention Set enhancements.

If you've logged a character out in Galaxy City prior to Issue 21, then on logging in and selecting that character, they will be automatically moved to Atlas Park.

One thing I've done with my brutes while solo is to set your difficulty to three villains worth, but at -1 Level. This gives you enough enemies to ramp up your fury pretty quickly without being overwhelming.

Later (late 20s, early 30s) when you get better defenses you can bring up the level to equal.

And yea, Starcloud is correct, DA isn't that great, and Nullifiers suck. I enjoy hitting them with my debuff arrows from one of my masterminds.

Servers are officially up. I managed to spend some time getting names on the new VIP server. I missed Sapphire (taken!) but I got a few others like Witchcraft, Talisman, Shield Maiden, Red Arrow, Blazing Bolt, Night Elf Mohawk, Dark Valkyrie and some other names that are just for my own (like Maxine Pain, Rogue Black Widow, Time Chick and Iron Mistress).

sig:

A sign on the wall says "The way is dark"

A sign on the wall says "Though torches lit"

A sign on the wall says "Watch your step"

You fall into a pit.

A sign on the wall says "Burma Shave"

-From the computer game Wizardry

I'm stealing this for my next Pulp HERO game. :D

JG

My update took approx 28 min at around 1300 KBs/sec. Trust me, it's not the patcher, which does nothing to throttle download speeds. Might want to check with your ISP and see what lie they tell you, since most in my experience will say "Oh, we don't do that!"

edit: Or are you talking about attempts to log in? The login server itself has been swamped since most of the character servers came back up.

edit2: I am probably starting to babble/ramble/something. I do that when I'm exhausted.

Login server. I've been patched since way earlier in the day. It's just the sheer volume of people trying to grab names on the VIP server.

I'm mainly logging the time out of boredom. Nothing out of the ordinary for a launch day, really. =)

Edit: CoH still has by FAR the fastest patcher I've seen in an MMO.

An origin for The Blue Comet, stuck in Login Limbo, and curses to the 1023 character limit:

"Map failed to start. The server is busy, please try again later."

The Central Server was down. He wouldn't be able to use the Cosmic Map to telport back to Earth Sector. He'd have to do this under his own power, even if it killed him . . .

Conrad Bariman had been plucked out of the trenches of World War I by an alien intellegence, offered great power and adventure beyond his imagining, in exchange for service to a peace keeping organization of the highest morals, the Comet Corps. He readily agreed to the bargain.

The Corps infused him with the cosmic powers of the Blue Comet, an ancient alien artifact dating to the Big Bang. He used his immense physical gifts and powers for the betterment of many alien races in a galaxy far from the Milky Way. For years, he was happy.

Until he discovered the Others were coming, their vanguard a vast destructive horde known as the Freeps. Barely escaping the destruction of HQ, he flew to Earth bearing a warning, burning out most of his power.