City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Anyone have any thoughts on the Beam Rifle power set? I've seen a few running around, and it looks cool. But I'm not sure on the ramp up time aspect, outside of fighting particularly high health targets. It's on sale, though, so wondering if I should buy it. Any feedback appreciated.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Beam Rifle power set? I've seen a few running around' date=' and it looks cool. But I'm not sure on the ramp up time aspect, outside of fighting particularly high health targets. It's on sale, though, so wondering if I should buy it. Any feedback appreciated.[/quote']

I played around with it in the Beta as a Level 50 Corrupter paired up with Time, but just a little. I think it has a lot of potential. Especially if it gets some enhancements.

Thanks. I think I'll grab it then, as much as I hate to use a store system so soon after it being rolled out.

Edit: Speaking of the store system. They don't seem to have a feature that the Turbine stores do. Specifically, you can see things that you already have on your account, and they don't disable the 'buy' button on them. I didn't want to risk the points to test whether it'll actually stop you from buying something you already have at some point, but it's something to be aware of. In the Turbine stores, you simply don't see items you already own or can't buy (b/c of restrictions on level for the character you're on, for example), but there's a button to let it show you anyway. They do look like they're following the Turbine model pretty closely, so that may be something they add in later.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Beam Rifle power set? I've seen a few running around' date=' and it looks cool. But I'm not sure on the ramp up time aspect, outside of fighting particularly high health targets. It's on sale, though, so wondering if I should buy it. Any feedback appreciated.[/quote']

Two insights:

Buy it while it's on sale. You may not use it now, but may want it later.

Also, I don't think it sits well on a Blaster. A lot of single-target damage with very little collateral mitigation, but YMMV. Personally, I went with a Corruptor. :)

Ok. Stuff purchased (Beam Rifle, the six-pack of transfers, and the rocket board).

Also snagged Justice Squad for the Heroes, and Injustice Squad on Redside.

Transferred over my lvl 50 Elec/Elec Brute Tara Watt (hero now) and my Robot/Arrows Mastermind villain, Metal Postcard.

Well... just thought I'd get this off my chest...

Not surprisingly (which is sad), a great many well-known, if not always universally loved or respected, players in CoH have had their "signature" names camped by other people on the new "VIP" server, Exalted. I don't really think I need to spell out exactly how disgraceful this behavior is.

As long as this nonsense persists, I won't be playing there.

Not surprisingly (which is sad), a great many well-known, if not always universally loved or respected, players in CoH have had their "signature" names camped by other people on the new "VIP" server, Exalted. I don't really think I need to spell out exactly how disgraceful this behavior is.

You know, when I came back after CoV launched and complained about losing names of characters well into their 20's*, I got a long list of trolls on the forums telling me how unimportant names were and I how I should just suck it up and think up new names. I didn't get a single sympathetic response. So, it's not going to affect my decision to play on any server. Names aren't important, after all.

*When they were taking names from characters under 35.

I actually thought about that, and for the first time I made: SteveZilla!

Not surprisingly (which is sad)' date=' a great many well-known, if not always universally loved or respected, players in CoH have had their "signature" names camped by other people on the new "VIP" server, Exalted. I don't really think I need to spell out exactly how disgraceful this behavior is.[/quote']

I hope you're not referring to anyone on this thread. 'Cause I'm pretty sure all the names I got are mine alone. No one's sent me any nasty grams so far anyway.

Finally got Blue Comet up to 10 last night, and made my alt for today's costume contest. I'll post his name and pic after. It was a pretty obvious pun, so I don't think I'll win.

Had to sit and wait for a brake job and oil change all afternoon yesterday, and work on my chiropractor's website today, so didn't get much play time. I want to level up alllll of my alts now.

Given my limited playtime, here are my impressions so far:

The graphics overhaul looks nice. Going Rogue looked nice, so that's no surprise. The tons of little quality of life changes that have been put in since the old days are really nice. Leveling is no longer a brutal grind. Soloing with tankers or support archetypes is no longer quite so painful, either, since everyone can do at least some damage.

The new storylines in Atlas are pretty decent. I ran through the storylines from Matthew Habashy and Twinshot, and then started on King's Row. The overall storyline for the zone is solid, and uses our old friends the Skulls and the Hellions to good effect. The Twinshot storyline seems to be the training storyline that was mentioned on the website. It's kind of fun, but I don't know that it'd be really useful to a new player. There's not much real information on how to play the game in the storyline, and what there is, is mostly buried in annoying dialogue, so might be overlooked.

I picked up the Beam Rifle power, and played around with it a little bit, but deleted the character to use the slot for the costume contest. I'll make another after the contest is over. Initial impressions are that it seems pretty decent, but that all of the rifle designs are fairly ugly. Wish they had something more sleek and futuristic. I may just go steam punk next time.

I like being able to go directly hero side now, because I'm really liking the villain archetypes. I'm not sure if I like Brute or Scrapper better, so have some of each. I'm developing a preference Dominators and Corrupters for ranged types. Having the control and support options while still being able to do decent damage is more to my liking than having a ranged damage character that's fragile with a melee damage secondary. I still plan on finishing my old blasters, though. Masterminds are fun, but none on the new server. Still have my Robots/FF MM on Liberty.

The store and the general model that they're using for the free to play system seems to be drawing heavily on the Turbine model, which is a good thing IMO. I've spent all but 80 of my initial allotment of 800 Paragon Points (Beam Rifle and the student backpack).

I like the updates to the costume creator (including pre Issue 21). It makes it easier to make a coordinated costume. They still have room for a lot of pieces, and with the new business model a good incentive to start cranking them out. I used to see three main types of costumes back in 2004: clones of existing comics characters, people who tried to figure out the skimpiest (including nude, they had to update to change some of the skin color options as a result) outfit possible, and people hitting the "random" button a time or two and just taking what they got. Folks seem better dressed nowadays. The first type has gone the way of the dodo, probably due to general awareness of the Marvel (facetious) lawsuit, and aging of the community. The second type doesn't seem to be around quite as much (well, everyone probably has at least one character with the Witch chest piece, rawr!). The third type can now pull down a complete outfit and then modify it (or not) a little and be on their way. The I21 costume creator menus seem a bit better organized, too.

The overall play experience is improved a little. Just driving around the character, and building it are pretty much the same, except for now requiring some planning for IO slotting. The maps seem to be a lot more diverse nowadays. There used to be a huge monotony to the maps and overall environments, and mission maps. At least now there is some variety to them, though I'm sure even more would be welcome. The leveling speed is MUCH better, and that's playing normally, not using the MA to grind up a brute to max level in 10 or so hours. The leveling curve used to be just plain brutal, even if you didn't have debt (which my blasters usually did), but it's not so bad at all now. I put a couple of levels on all of my old characters, and even on the 41 AR/Dev blaster doing missions full of annoying mobs, it took almost no time. And now with an end game and crafting, as well as the mission architect, there seems to be plenty to do.

Overall, I'll have to say I have the warm fuzzies.