City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Rocket Board is a solid travel power. I plan to use it as long as possible on Time Chick. It's pretty fast on its own so it doesn't really need slotting.

(Few travel powers do these days. Don't slot Fly for Flight Speed! It's actually maxed out right out of the box. Check your Combat Attributes to see this.)

The disadvantage of Rocket Board is that it shuts off all your toggles. OK for a squishy, not fun for a Tanker or Scrapper. Just sayin'.

Ok, now that last bit is odd. Is that a bug or working as intended? I know the LKT-1700 Rocket Pack doesn't turn off toggles. It does, however, clash with the cape. (Images of The Incredibles flash through my mind using that thing with a cape.)

Slotting-wise, I guess it doesn't matter.

Does Flight still give a to hit penalty?

Ok' date=' now that last bit is odd. Is that a bug or working as intended? I know the LKT-1700 Rocket Pack doesn't turn off toggles. It does, however, clash with the cape. (Images of [i']The Incredibles[/i] flash through my mind using that thing with a cape.)

Slotting-wise, I guess it doesn't matter.

Does Flight still give a to hit penalty?

I don't recall Flight ever having a to-hit penalty with it. The Paragon Wiki page for Fly also doesn't list anything other than movement.

And, yeah, there are many things that "clash" with capes. The Raptor pack does as well. I get over it. :)

Hey' date=' does anyone know if you can add enhancement slots to the rocket board power? I'm thinking that it'd go good with my new beam rifle character.[/quote']

Nope. It's llike the vet reward powers. No way to slot them

However, it is slightly faster than base Fly speed.

The disadvantage of Rocket Board is that it shuts off all your toggles. OK for a squishy' date=' not fun for a Tanker or Scrapper. Just sayin'.[/quote']

It works fine for ANYone that doesn't use it to fly INTO combat. Squishies just remember this lesson more easily. :P

It works fine for ANYone that doesn't use it to fly INTO combat. Squishies just remember this lesson more easily. :P

It's a pain to turn on all those toggles every time you use it. Some tankers or scrappers have upwards of 6 toggles to turn on before each combat. So using RB with a fast moving team probably wouldn't work. By the time you toggled-up again, the spawn would be dead and they'd've moved on. Tankers at least are supposed to be first into a spawn, not last. ;)

My impressions:

They have apparently realized that some of us never bothered to get to 50th level on a character, so they let you unlock Kheldians at 20th level now.

Thus, this is my first Peacebringer, Lord of Uranus:

screenshot110917234253.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then I went to the "expense" of buying the Beam Rifle power and a few costume pieces, which in itself illustrates how the Store works. It isn't like the Champions Online store (or at least how that store started out) in that you don't pay real $$ for points in addition to monthly subscription fee. Rather, if you're a veteran player like myself, you've already accumulated a certain number of points to get to a higher "Tier" status to get freebies like free costume refits and the like. In addition, if you are a paid subscriber you automatically get a few hundred "Paragon Points" that can be accumulated for things like new costume sets, the Beam Rifle/Time Manipulation powers and other things. Note that if you ARE a vet, you may want to check your characters to see if they haven't already been rewarded some of these things.

So I made a Beam Rifle character, Pretty Soldier Pink:

screenshot110919003955.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Sent to Paragon City to test a Japanese corporation's new Beam Rifle prototype, 'Pretty Soldier Pink' actually has no military experience other than serving as a show model for various US and Japanese firms at technology conventions. Her knowledge of the English language seems to be a list of non sequiturs."

Then I took this character through the Tutorial. I didn't seem to recall getting that option when making the Kheldian, probably because you need to have played the game to some level to make one.

Anyway, City of Heroes: Freedom, like World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, is basically the same game in function, but they've shaken some things up by causing MASSIVE levels of real estate damage and slightly less massive levels of death. In this case the Tutorial is no longer in some no-man's land training center; now you're put straight into the middle of the action where the Galaxy City zone is being destroyed. (The designers having apparently figured out that Galaxy was redundant as a starting zone when you have the city government at Atlas Park.) You actually get to see 'icon' heroes like Sister Psyche and Back Alley Brawler duking it out with terrible "Shivan" monstrosities. After fighting your way through these, you're directed to help a fallen hero. Here, as with the Praetorian/Going Rogue option, you are given a choice between Good and Evil: You can either revive this hero by giving up some of your "power" (and be a Hero) or take his remaining power and become a Villain. I chose Hero.

From that point you're resettled to Atlas Park where it's explained that the larger threat has forced the main heroes away, and you're requested to help deal with the local guys like Skulls and Hellions, only to find out they're all being directed by Arachnos. Oh No!

Note that the Praetorian world is still an option (it's the first choice you have to make in character creation) but I don't think there's a specific option to start a Villain in the Prison Outbreak scenario. When I have time I need to make another new character and make the "Villain" choice and see where it leads.

JG

Then I took this character through the Tutorial. I didn't seem to recall getting that option when making the Kheldian' date=' probably because you need to have played the game to some level to make one.[/quote']

Look carefully at the tutorial loading screen. See that "Enter Game" button? Now look to right of it and press the "Next" button. You get a little comic explaining what's going on in Galaxy City.

Look carefully at the tutorial loading screen. See that "Enter Game" button? Now look to right of it and press the "Next" button. You get a little comic explaining what's going on in Galaxy City.

No, before that, once you put everything together and name the character and all, it says "Do you want to enter the tutorial?" (Yes/No). I didn't get that option when making the Kheldian, nor did I see an "Enter Game" scroll. I just showed up in Atlas.

JG

No' date=' [i']before[/i] that, once you put everything together and name the character and all, it says "Do you want to enter the tutorial?" (Yes/No).

I understand. Both Keldians and Soldiers of Arachnos skip the tutorial by design because Paragon Studios felt it didn't mesh with their origin stories and special missions.

I'm saying on your second run, when you did enter the tutorial, it sounded like you missed the comic.

I understand. Both Keldians and Soldiers of Arachnos skip the tutorial by design because Paragon Studios felt it didn't mesh with their origin stories and special missions.

I'm saying on your second run, when you did enter the tutorial, it sounded like you missed the comic.

Well, like I said, I gotta make another character anyway. ;)

JG

Currently On Exalted:

Tara Watt: Reformed lvl 50 Elec/Elec Brute, member of Justice Squad

Electric Kool-Aid: Illusions/Time Controller, member of Justice Squad

Metal Postcard: Robots/Trick Arrow Mastermind, member of Injustice Squad

Ms. Plastique: New Beam Rifle/Corrupter, member of Injustice Squad