City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Though my playtime will probably plummet when the SW-TOR beta starts up again sometime in the next week or so.

Not to thread drift (like that never happens) but saw this on another game news site:

http://www.ngohq.com/news/20584-eas-new-user-agreement-bans-lawsuits.html

Electronic Arts has updated its Terms of Service Agreement for the Origin platform. Following Sony's lead, and taking it even further, EA has added a new clause that prevents users from suing them in both class action and jury trial forms. Or in other words, in a scummy move - EA wants you to give up your civil rights. And yet they wonder why so many people pirate their games.

"Most user concerns can be resolved quickly and to your satisfaction by logging into our customer support interface with your Account at http://support.ea.com/. In the unlikely event that EA cannot resolve a concern to your satisfaction (or if EA cannot resolve a concern it has with you after attempting to do so informally), then you and EA agree to be bound by the following procedure to resolve any and all disputes between us... By entering into this Agreement, you and EA expressly waive the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action. This agreement is intended to be interpreted broadly. It covers any and all disputes between us ("Disputes"), including without limitation"

Yes SW-TOR is being published by EA, and yes, they've already updated their EULA to have exactly these clauses.

This probably belongs in the "how will you survive the coming plutocracy" but these things are just pernicious as all get out. I'm really steamed about this. I think somebody needs to adjust some laws so that binding arbitration can't be forced on a consumer like this.

I think somebody needs to adjust some laws so that binding arbitration can't be forced on a consumer like this.

When one of these gets tested in court' date=' I'm suspect we'll find out that they can't.[/quote']

But when someone can avoid the "binding arbitration" by simply choosing to not buy the game, can it really be called "forced"?

But when someone can avoid the "binding arbitration" by simply choosing to not buy the game' date=' can it really be called "forced"?[/quote']

If you can't access the license before buying the software and attempting to install it, then yes. Even if you can*, in the case of MMOs, the license can be updated at any time, and if you want to continue to play the game, you're forced to agree to the new license. Keep in mind, they can change the license after you've made potentially substantial expenditures on their product. By changing the license after the fact, they're essentially manipulating that sense of investment in the product to their advantage. That's unethical to say the least.

It's all very shady business. As far as I know, click through licenses have yet to be tested in court.

*And in the cases where you can, I've never seen it possible at point of sale. It's almost always somewhere on the company's website. Before the web was prevalent, it was usually impossible to read a software license before buying the -- nonreturnable -- software.

Wow' date=' two total? That's a little harsh. I still think their overall model is pretty decent, though. I'll have to make a free to play account to check it out from that POV.[/quote']

Iirc, even Free Players (i.e., non-Premium) earn Paragon Points? If so, they can spend those points to buy more character slots.

Free players do not earn Paragon Points. Paragon Points must be purchased.

Mind, after your first purchase of Paragon Points, you move from Free to Premium and can then get Paragon Rewards tokens, which allow you access to most of the benefits a VIP gets, depending on how many Reward tokens you earn from the purchase and how many tokens you spend to get what used to be called veteran rewards.

VIP players get a "stipend" of 400 to 550 Paragon Points per month that they stay subscribed, and get a Reward Token every month.

Noticed a couple of new billboards in Paragon:

It's a Cape! It's a Blanket!

It's a CLANKET!

Now available in Male, Female and Huge

and

helping those affected by the mortality-impaired

ZOMB-CARE

because they were once friends, coworkers and loved ones

The melee set Street Justice went active in the Paragon store today. Spent a few hours on Agent Traxler of the Star Patrol "THWACK!!!ing" and "SOCKO!!!ing" my way around Atlas Park and Kings Row. :P

I rolled up one on Exalted yesterday going thru Praetoria. So far, I like it.

I rolled up one on Exalted yesterday going thru Praetoria. So far' date=' I like it.[/quote']

So far, got up to level 18 with my Street Justice character. I'm enjoying the set. I like the combo mechanics much better than the Twin Blade version of combos.

Ooooh !

I use to play CoX since 2007 !

And now the american servers are open to use European.

it would be neat to know who is playing and under what global name

Actually, I'm still using my old @Miss Quantum identity.

Dunno if something should be added to that to talk with other servers

So, who is here ?

Does anyone actually use the 'Hero Boards' channel? No one ever seems to notice when I say something there' date=' and there rarely seems to be more than 3-5 people on it.[/quote']

I have to remember to turn on that channel on my chars...

@Lemming