PBEM:The New Universe

nexus

August 12th, 2004. The day the Universe changed. The Earth is bathed in a white light, a light so intense it peirces even the most heavily shielded rooms. For a second the world is blinded by the the brillance. And then it was over. Nothing seemed to change. Time passed, people moved on and the "White Event" become a trite holiday based on a peculiar anomaly.

Now it is 2008 and the true effects of the White Event have begun to make themselves known. People are appearing with strange abilities and powers. Powers ususually attributed to the Gods or figures of legend. You are one of these new beings, or a "normal" person struggling to cope with a rapidly changing world. What will you do with your new found abilities?

New Universe is PBEM using the Champions Fifth Edition rules set. It is not purely a "superhero" setting, but a game that attempts to explore what people would do with superhumans powers.

As such, character generation is slightly different. Character background is important. The longest anyone could have had

powers is 4 years. So far, no one has come forward with their new abilites. Characters will be vreated as normal people first.

Base Points: 50

Disadvantage:50

I will create their powers based on the player's description. Most abilities

will be fairly limited and more "realistic" than seen in most superhero comics.

If you are interested in this setting/style of play, please submit a character. Subscribe to:

NUniverse-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

and a character background sheet will be sent to you. I look forward to seeing you.

Re: PBEM:The New Universe

I assume this is based on the short-run Jim Shooter driven "New Universe" that Marvel did back in the late 80s' date=' featuring DP7 as a high point and some lesser titles that were less than memorable?[/quote']

Its really not. When I came up with the idea I was convinced it was original. Until a player pointed me to the series you mention.

Hey Nexus, were you in the Army, based out of Fort Hood, circa 90-92?

I had GM there that did this exact scenario and I've been trying to locate him ever since I left there.

Sorry, never been in the military.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever read the "Realistic Supers" article in Digital Hero #11? That addresses some of the implications of this style of gaming. It is my favorite genre by far. Which is why I wrote said article...

:cool:

Still taking characters? 50+50 is even lower than what I recommended (and I thought mine would be too low for most players).

Do you allow things like Weapon Familiarities to use mundane weapons? That is, would there be a point cost for ordinary guns and knives?

Did you ever read the "Realistic Supers" article in Digital Hero #11? That addresses some of the implications of this style of gaming. It is my favorite genre by far. Which is why I wrote said article...

:cool:

Still taking characters? 50+50 is even lower than what I recommended (and I thought mine would be too low for most players).

Do you allow things like Weapon Familiarities to use mundane weapons? That is, would there be a point cost for ordinary guns and knives?

Unfortunately I don't have easy access to Digital Hero. Weapons and other normal technology is brought with points. The point totals are low because I design the characters powers based on the the players wants and describes. The 100 points are for the other stuff.

Yep, I'm always taking players though the game is on breif hiatus while I recharge my batteries a bit.

Its really not. When I came up with the idea I was convinced it was original. Until a player pointed me to the series you mention.

Hard to believe there wasn't at least a subconscious memory of said series, since it was triggered by a (and I quote verbatim from Marvel's New Universe) "White Event".

I liked NU a lot. When it failed, it was the beginning of the end of my comic-collecting days (which started in 1971). After that, all the standard "costumed adventurer" stuff just looked sillier and sillier. Then I discovered the "Wild Cards" series...

Hard to believe there wasn't at least a subconscious memory of said series, since it was triggered by a (and I quote verbatim from Marvel's New Universe) "White Event".

I liked NU a lot. When it failed, it was the beginning of the end of my comic-collecting days (which started in 1971). After that, all the standard "costumed adventurer" stuff just looked sillier and sillier. Then I discovered the "Wild Cards" series...

I can't say there wasn't. I thought I was being original at the time, but there might have been.

Unfortunately I don't have easy access to Digital Hero. Weapons and other normal technology is brought with points. The point totals are low because I design the characters powers based on the the players wants and describes. The 100 points are for the other stuff.

Oh, so you want a 50+50 NORMAL character, then YOU add the Powers?

Hmmm. Interesting, in a way, but I've always seen character design as a major part of the game. Not sure if I like the idea of someone else designing my PC. Do you give the finished product to the player for review and/or comment?

Weapons and other normal technology is brought with points.

IMO that doesn't seem to be in keeping with the "realistic" concept of the game.

In real life people don't avoid having equipment because they "don't have the points saved up."

IMO that doesn't seem to be in keeping with the "realistic" concept of the game.

In real life people don't avoid having equipment because they "don't have the points saved up."

Sorry, that is a typo should be "are not" brought with points. With some exceptions.

Most abilities will be fairly limited and more "realistic" than seen in most superhero comics.

It sounds a like a cool game concept in general.

Could you say a little more about what "realistic" abilities are, in terms of your game?

Are we talking about "electric eel" powers here (in other words, something based on real world creatures)?

Or is the realistic part relating to the functioning of the powers (for example, a character with energy projection powers might need to constantly eat in order to fuel his abilities).

Or are we talking about something else?

Oh, so you want a 50+50 NORMAL character, then YOU add the Powers?

Hmmm. Interesting, in a way, but I've always seen character design as a major part of the game. Not sure if I like the idea of someone else designing my PC. Do you give the finished product to the player for review and/or comment?

Well, eventually. I like to have the character's learn about their power as the player does. It makes allot of the role playing more "real"

It sounds a like a cool game concept in general.

Could you say a little more about what "realistic" abilities are, in terms of your game?

Are we talking about "electric eel" powers here (in other words, something based on real world creatures)?

Or is the realistic part relating to the functioning of the powers (for example, a character with energy projection powers might need to constantly eat in order to fuel his abilities).

Or are we talking about something else?

Realistic relating to the function of the powers. Powers have more limitation to reflect an altered, but somewhat more down to earth physics. The speedster type character need reinforced clothing or friction tears his to shreds, for example.

Well' date=' eventually. I like to have the character's learn about their power as the player does. It makes allot of the role playing more "real"[/quote']

I'd still like to hear more about the process that you have in mind for power generation.

Realistic relating to the function of the powers. Powers have more limitation to reflect an altered' date=' but somewhat more down to earth physics. The speedster type character need reinforced clothing or friction tears his to shreds, for example.[/quote']

OK, that makes sense. . . .

How far are you prepared to go with this concept?

In real physics,

Force = Mass X Acceleration

and so it follows

Acceleration = Force / Mass

It seems to me that a real world speeedster would need a great deal of actual force in order to get the acceleration needed (or have very low mass).

In the comics, speed and power often seem to be seperate factors, but in real life, you would not expect to have a fast car without a powerful engine. And if you want an ultra-fast car, you need an ultra-powerful engine. Real muscle cars (like some indy racers) can go into thousands of horse-power.

A speedster would probably need an enhanced circulatory system in order to keep those super-charged muscles supplied with energy (and also to remove the fatigue toxins associated with using so much energy). This enhanced circulatory system would have a number of other functions (for example, it would also probably help rid the body of other-toxins at an accelerated rate).

A speedster would probably need armor skin and enhanced bone structure to stand up to the stress of using his powers (and, of course these things would have other uses as well).

I bet if I really thought about it I could come up with a bunch more stuff. A real world speedster could actually be more powerful than speedsters in the comics.

Added on Edit: some of these things could lead to cool limitations on the the character's powers (as you have mentioned previously). But I'm not sure that I'd want my character to spend several weeks recovering from stress fractures every time he uses his abilities.

=

I bet if I really thought about it I could come up with a bunch more stuff. A real world speedster could actually be more powerful than speedsters in the comics.

Added on Edit: some of these things could lead to cool limitations on the the character's powers (as you have mentioned previously). But I'm not sure that I'd want my character to spend several weeks recovering from stress fractures every time he uses his abilities.

I'm not trying to be absolutely realistic. Most "super powers" just don't work without some suspension of disbelief. But I'm going for a more down to earth feel for things.

Edit:correcting the horrible grammer. Never post on no sleep

I'm don't try to be absolutely realistic. Most "super powers" just don't work without some suspension of disbelief. But I'm going for a more down to earth feel for things.

It is probably not fair to try to hold you to a standard of "absolute realism."

However, that being said, I think that it is possible to start with one unreal premise (such as the "White Event") and follow it to its realistic logical conclusions.

One of the :neptune:BIG:neptune: issues I've had with mainstream comics is that they often do not seem to get the relationship between speed and power. I can imagine Stan Lee at a car dealership arguing with the owner.

Car Salesman: Here is the fast car that you asked for, it has a 500 horse power engine.

Stan Lee: But I want a fast car--not a powerful car.

Your game should at least be realistic enough to cover the speed-power issue.

Also if you are going to apply the effects of the speedster's power to his clothes, then you should plan on that character having armor skin, and enhanced bones. Because it the character's abilities damage his clothes then they should logically have the same effects on his body.

And if you are going to assume that a character has some sort of magical feild which protects him from the effects of friction, then why shouldn't the feild also protect his clothes? (and at that point, we'd be back to the standard "comic-booky" speedster)

It is probably not fair to try to hold you to a standard of "absolute realism."

However, that being said, I think that it is possible to start with one unreal premise (such as the "White Event") and follow it to its realistic logical conclusions.

One of the :neptune:BIG:neptune: issues I've had with mainstream comics is that they often do not seem to get the relationship between speed and power. I can imagine Stan Lee at a car dealership arguing with the owner.

Car Salesman: Here is the fast car that you asked for, it has a 500 horse power engine.

Stan Lee: But I want a fast car--not a powerful car.

Your game should at least be realistic enough to cover the speed-power issue.

Also if you are going to apply the effects of the speedster's power to his clothes, then you should plan on that character having armor skin, and enhanced bones. Because it the character's abilities damage his clothes then they should logically have the same effects on his body.

And if you are going to assume that a character has some sort of magical feild which protects him from the effects of friction, then why shouldn't the feild also protect his clothes? (and at that point, we'd be back to the standard "comic-booky" speedster)

Well, there are powerful vehicles (defining power as ability to haul and pull) that are not fast and fast vehicles that can't haul worth worth anything. A character's body could be optimized for speed, not for strength.

As for the "magical field" the character actually does have a few points of damage resistance to represent tougher skin and a little LS:High Speed Air for other adaptive mutations. If he did have a "magical" feild that protected him there's no reason why it would HAVE to extend to his clothing if it was generated by his body. Of course, it could. I have a homebrew Advantage you can buy for power to cover just that contingency.

I don't quite understand why you're telling me how things should be in my game though? :)

Well, there are powerful vehicles (defining power as ability to haul and pull) that are not fast and fast vehicles that can't haul worth worth anything. A character's body could be optimized for speed, not for strength.

Perhaps you could give me some examples of what you are talking about.

I can believe that a vehicle can be fast without having too powerful of an engine, if it is lightweight (like a motercycle)--but there is at least one bike with a 500 hp engine.

A tank can have a powerful engine and be slow because it is very heavy.

But all the race cars I know about have high horse power engines.

Again: Force = Mass X Acceleration

Acceleration = Force / Mass

And some other definitions form physics:

Work = Force X Distance

Power = Work/Tme.

So, by definition, a high hourse power engine can move a large amount of mass, a fair distance, in a short time.

So please show me a race car with a low power engine. . . .

I don't quite understand why you're telling me how things should be in my game though? :)

You said that you wanted to run a realistic game. . . .

So we are just talking about what it means to run a realistic game.

It is worth adding to my post above that it is possible to set up a mechanical system which will allow an ant to move an aircraft carrior a very very short distance over a very very long time.

Or I can set up a system that will focus on moving a very small mass a great distance over a short time.

But, all other things being equal, if I want to move the same mass a greater distance over a shorter time, I will have to get more power.

As I think about it, it might be possible to have a "low acceleration" speedster, with friction contol abilities. He would move across the ground in a manner similar to a roller-blader. That kind of character could get by with out enhanced muscle power.

Or maybe it would be possible to have a bouncing based character. Either like Bouncing Boy, or like some one with springs built into his feet. Given that there is a limit to how sharp an angle a runner's feet can push off against the ground, at some point, as he continues to kick off with more force, a speedster is likely to turn into a jumper anyway.

It is worth adding to my post above that it is possible to set up a mechanical system which will allow an ant to move an aircraft carrior a very very short distance over a very very long time.

Or I can set up a system that will focus on moving a very small mass a great distance over a short time.

But, all other things being equal, if I want to move the same mass a greater distance over a shorter time, I will have to get more power.

*shrugs" Most speedy vehicles are light and relatively fragile. That might be able to exert more "force" but they'll rip apart in a few moments. Most heavy hauling vehicles are big and relatively slow but designed to handle the stresses of moving large amounts weight. There's more to "Strength" in Hero Term than energy output. Otherwise all bricks would be speedsters and vice versa.

I'm not an auto eingineer so I'm not qualified to argue with you. I'm just looking for players for a PBEM game. If you don't want to play because all Speedsters aren't going to be bricks as well, feel free. Totally realistically, there is a cap on fast a human shaped body could even move, or how strong they could be but as I said I'm not going for total realism.

In short, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove?