Yu-Gi-herO

UltraRob

Here's a question...

I was thinking of how to do something along the lines of YuGiOh duelling monster summoning with HERO, but I was starting to think...Aren't most of the Monsters just special effects for Powers? Any damage done is done to your hero, therefore the monsters themselves are just manifestations of whatever power options you have available. It's kind've like being able to "see" a person's Variable Power Pool selections in front of you.

Now the question would be, based on this, how could we set it up so that the opponent could wipe out the "powers". Would they have BODY points equal to their Active Points/5 or somesuch? With the blowthrough damage hitting the player? Or perhaps something a little different, the Active/5 is their DEF rating and they just have 1 BODY. If I remember right they don't take damage from attacks that don't do enough to kill them, so I guess the "force wall" approach might be better.

So, let's see...Say I summoned up "Fire Magician", a 30AP Energy Blast (Fire)....He would have 6Def and 1 Body and float there looking cool....Should anyone kill him, the player would suffer a backlash of any remaining damage....maybe....

I guess opponents would have to choose between targeting the "powers" and targeting the user, although some powers like "Shield Warrior" (a force field) would automatically defend the Caster until he "dies"...

Actually, this could be kinda cool, and would get around the cost of summoning "real" monsters which is a natural problem with doing something like this normally.

Does this seem reasonable to people? Any thoughts?

Rob

Re: Yu-Gi-herO

Well, you could do any number of things, but what you are probably mainly looking at is buying all your Powers on OAF: Summoned Creature. That gives you the effect you want of the creature being breakable, and you can get a tougher or weaker creature by varying the Limitation. Depending on the rules of engagement, you might also be a Side Effect that goes off as each creature is destroyed: if it's a real magical duel, there might be blow through damage, while if it's just a card game, it's probably just a method of scoring and doesn't really hurt anything but the loser's pride. You'd also likely have a laundry list of Triggered Powers and straight Powers for traps and spell effects.

This gets expensive very quickly, but you can just toss points at the players until they can build a good set of interesting abilities. Or just give everyone access to a large VPP, and how much of it they can use in a given Phase is based on the Power Skill, Dueling.

arrrgh.

Well, you could do any number of things, but what you are probably mainly looking at is buying all your Powers on OAF: Summoned Creature. That gives you the effect you want of the creature being breakable, and you can get a tougher or weaker creature by varying the Limitation. Depending on the rules of engagement, you might also be a Side Effect that goes off as each creature is destroyed: if it's a real magical duel, there might be blow through damage, while if it's just a card game, it's probably just a method of scoring and doesn't really hurt anything but the loser's pride. You'd also likely have a laundry list of Triggered Powers and straight Powers for traps and spell effects.

This gets expensive very quickly, but you can just toss points at the players until they can build a good set of interesting abilities. Or just give everyone access to a large VPP, and how much of it they can use in a given Phase is based on the Power Skill, Dueling.

arrrgh.

Sounds reasonable. I was just thinking in terms of using a YuGiOh type system for mages in actual roleplay, not just simulated duels, but it works equally well for that. ^_^

The only problem I can see is, aren't they a little more than OAF? I mean, they're much easier to hit than say a ring or a gun. I suppose it's all special effects, though, so in the end it doesn't matter much. ^_^

I thought that each "card" should be preplanned, and the player would have a "deck" that they would use to produce the magic from. (perhaps even using real YuGiOh cards, if they were handy) I suppose dividing those Power ratings on the YuGiOh card by say 100 would probably give rough active points. The size of the VPP would determine how many cards they can have "in play" at once, which will affect and reflect their duelling skill and level. Although you're right, they would probably need either huge VPPs, or VPP's with a modifier to allow more active points in the pool than the pool cost, but no single card can actually be more than the maximum real size of the pool...

I really want this to basically be an odd summoning system...I hadn't considered much how "trap" cards would work...I guess if this were "real" the caster would place them in the air around him...which would be reflected by a trigger. These would be his magical defenses.

Rob

In Yu-Gi-Oh!, it realy dosen't matter, since not only are the monsters 'special effects', but also, since most of the time thay can't affect the real world, thay are illusions which do not go away when disbeliefed.

Of course, I am talking about two people playing a card game with Kaba's Dule Disk thingie. If you acualy want to do a writup on Yugi Muto and The Spirit Of The Millumumen Puzzel, you are going to have to give Yami a VVP limited by illusions. Most of theas illusions (or transformations) are bought with the No Normal Defence power (with the defence is not losing a game to him, and this, not suffering through a Penatly Game).

Which makes me think...who is toughter to writ up...Yugi Muto/Yama Yugi, or Jotaru Kujo and Star Platimum?

steriaca (Ora! Ora! Ora!)