I'm of "two minds" on this one....

I'm working on a character (NPC villain) who has multiple personalities -- not in the classic sense, but more like The Ventriloquist (from Batman's rogues' gallery). The "main" personality functions constantly, and so does the "alternate" personality through a proxy (in this case, a hand puppet).

The twist is that the alternate personality has strong mental powers. He can use those powers independently of what the main pesonality is doing (they'll have independent DEX and SPD), but if the main personality needs to use his left hand for anything the alternate vanishes, as do any effects of his mental powers.

Right now I'm inclined to use Duplication (with appropriate Modifiers) to do this, but I'd like to see if any other creative minds can come up with a better plan.

Maybe duplication w/ the gestures limitation? Also, the puppet would have the physical limitation that it has to remain in contact w/ the master. You could also buy it as a quadrapalegic.

Or, you might be able to buy all the powers, including SPD/EGO (which is the only stat the puppet will need) as an OAF. I, personally, like this way better.

Hi Gents,

I wanted to do something similar in a game that I just ran. In my case a little girl was used as the vessel for an Egyptian goddess. Both minds are in the same body and both can "act" on their own phases. The result would be something similar to what you are after...drat...I don't have the sheet at work but I recall building this using Duplication (same body...similar to the hydra in Bestiary) with IPA (fully invisible to everthing EXCEPT mental senses). In my case it was DIRT cheap as the little girl is an incompt normal so it hit the 1 point min cost then adding all the advantages, limitations, and such. I may have used other Duplication adders but I don't recall. It costs more for the Psionic Bond Mind Link with Feedback than it did for anything else. The Egyptian goddess even had disads based on the fact that the little girl could distract her.

It sure worked neat in the game. There is this IPA mentalist PC who I have been wanting to restrain in my game. He always hits everything with max dice and telepathies everyone in sight the first time he meets them. It gets really annoying. Anyway...he opens up on the goddess and easily KOs the little girl. All of a sudden the goddess has her wits about her and wipes the floor with the PC. Boy were the other PC upset with him...hehehehe...[evil GM snicker]... ;)

BNakagawa said:

What's IPA?

JohnTaber said:

Invisible Power Affect. In other words, it is not obvious to the naked eye that the power Duplication is in effect.

Nah, that's IPE; Invisible Power Effects.

IPA is India Pale Ale. It's a style of beer; Bridgeport Brewing and Elysian Brewing make IPAs, and I think Grant's does too.

Redhook makes an IPA, but confusingly sells it under their Ballard Bitter sub-label.

It's a nice highly hopped style, but I prefer porter or stout. ;)

--

Hit any user to continue.

I'm of the opinion something like this is best represented with Duplication with appropriate Limitations/Disadvantages to represent the Duplicate's need to remain in contact with the original, and the original's requirement to use his left hand to keep the Duplicate active.

A psyc lim (or side effect on the puppet)

then for the powers: gestures through out, IIF (maybe a sideeffect)

Okay here is how it wuold work, the focus is either a universal or personla (Depending on if he is crazy or if there is something to the puppet). If the puppet is powerful then add side effect (Causes MPS), if not give the guy a Psyc lim MPS

Originally posted by Monolith

Buy the "dummie" and all of its powers as an AI Computer. Then give the Follower points a Focus and Gestures Limitation.

Of the suggestions thus far, I like this approach best for this specific application. (Others might work better for different instances of something like this.)

A computer, even an AI, is only a Follower, and thus is controlled by the GM. If that is how this puppet would be controlled, then this would be the best method. However, if the player controlles the puppet along with the main character, then the best way to simulate the effect is to use Duplication. Essentially they are the same thing, only one is controlled by the GM, the other the player.

And last I checked, the Duplicate doesn't have to be a standard character. It can be a computer or a vehicle for instance.