Project XIII: images from my campaign

etherio

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Project XIII: images from my campaign

Alright, here are some good guy NPCs, which of course the PCs have already had a chance to kick the crud out of due to a series of "misunderstandings" ;).

Some brief background info: In etherio's campaign the master geneticist Malachite made a series of clones by mixing and matching the genetic material of the title characeters in an long running story arc. Eventually Project XIII managed to stop him and "rescue" the infant clones in various stages of development. In-game, the clones were given to Fauna to be cared for (who at that point had become an NPC). Although a few of the older clones made quick cameo appearances for continuity and flavor sake they were pretty much relegated to the background story (the clones were biologically in their early teens at that point, Malachite's clones mature at a much faster rate than normal). So when I started running my campaign I thought, hmmm...I wonder what those Project XIII clones would be up to right about now ;)

Here are a few that the PCs have encountered, although there are scores of clones under Fauna's care. Here is the link to Fauna http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=306724&postcount=15

Note: Each clone takes his "parentage" from numerous Members of Project XIII as well as other characters who were invloved in the campaign at one time or another, although some show obvious traits linking them to one character or another, the PCs have had to basically guess based on their pics and their exhibited abilities...so needless to say, I won't get into the specifics of who they are clones of =)

My favorite of the bunch, Warbird, basically a move-by guy to start with (wings and enough flight and super strength to make it count). However, due to an enhanced and so far unique physiological feature his body naturally creates Neodrenaline, the synthetic hormone which is used by super-soldiers. The constant permeation of neodrenaline through his system leaves him highly susceptible to fits of rage (super roid rage ;)) when his body is placed under stress (in game terms, something very similar to enraged when takes stun). When this happens, his strength more than doubles, his reflexes increase and he becomes extremely resilient to pain (at this point he plays like a brick w/ about 50% DMG reduction). If someone is foolish enough to do killing DMG to him, well then he becomes even stronger, tougher, and at this point even the speed with which he attacks increase (more strength, lightning reflexes, and +1 speed). Even killing attacks will have a hard time slowing him down while he attempts to smash whatever it is that happens to be pissing him off at the time (although, unfortunately for him, he'll take any BODY dmg once the enraged wears off)...

Warbird

Warbird.jpg

Ughh..its friggin late...I'm probably gonna have to edit that description for coherency in the morning =(

Exceptional agility, flight (via wings), and skill in a variety of martial arts styles combined with innate telepathic and telekinetic abilities, makes Aegis a considerable ally or dangerous foe in combat. Aegis manifest her telekinetic power as a focused shield of pure psychic energy which she uses to evade incoming attacks, both at range and in close combat. Adding to this, her telepathic abilities give her a slight edge in combat, reading the surface thoughts of those who are not strong willed enough to defend (i.e., +combat levels vs. those without MD). However, her most powerful ability is her "psychic tracking" sense which allows her to track the mind of anyone she has come into contact with over great distances (effectively unlimited for game purposes) and with great accuracy, making her a dangerous opponent in and out of combat.

Because of her physical resemblance to Warbird (They both have wings and blue body hair) they have developed an extremely close "brother-sister" relationship, sometimes excluding their other clone "siblings" from their plans and dealings.

Aegis

Aegis.jpg

The most eclectic of the Project XIII clones, Golem displays a wide variety of powers and abilities. His body consists of a malleable "mud-like" material which is highly resistant to physical damage, and can, with the aid of his psychic talents, be made to resemble anyone he has laid eyes on. These same psychic talents allow him to fly and read the minds of anyone he makes prolonged contact with. Along with a few other superhuman abilities to round him out -- such as incredible intellect, preternatural strength, and the ability to stretch his "appendages" (he also has extra limbs, variable SFX), Golem is a force to be reckoned with. (ok..so I like the Martian Manhunter..sue me, heh :nya:)

Golem

Prodigy-progress.jpg

The de facto leader of the Project XIII clones by age if not temperament, Paladin is a careful, thoughtful, and deliberate leader, always weighing any potential action with the possible consequences for those who look to him for leadership. It is no coincidence that his powers reflect his protective nature as the clones were bred for not only their abilities and powers, but their attitudes and personalities as well. Paladin's powerful telekinetic ability manifest itself as a field of pure golden energy, a force field, that not only protects him from harm, but that can be extended to protect numerous others as well. He also has the innate talent to extend the field around his hands in order to mimic various melee type weapons, limited only by his imagination (and the +1 variable advantage on his strength and extra hand-to-hand attack of course ;)).

Paladin

paladin-flailcopy.jpg

Amazingly fast running speeds and a virtually impenetrable body (think 25 pd/ed hardened w/ an extra +10 pd/ed hardened only vs killing attacks) allow Ricochet to dominate the battlefield by barreling into her opponents (and whatever else she feels like) with little chance of self injury. In addition, she has a keen tactical and strategic mind (even for her young age, she has the appearance of a girl just out of high school) that makes her an invaluable asset to her teammates (Teamwork skill 14-, usable by self and others (anyone she can communicate with), up to 16 others and +1 overall skill level, usable by self and others x16 to anyone receiving said Teamwork skill).

Ricochet

Ricochet.jpg

Well, that's it for the Project XIII "clones" I'll post anymore as they come up in game...next up, more villains =)

This next group of NPCs, The Titans of Justice (Titans, for short), first appeared in-game as sort of a "boy-band" supers team, put together by a mysterious benefactor, with sort of a Greco-Roman mythology theme. More celebrities than superheroes (complete with an agent, official fan-site and Saturday morning live-action TV show)...but they nonetheless helped the PCs solve a mystery here or there...that is, of course, until the PCs realized they were all ex-villains and maniacs ;)

Leader of the Titans, Diana, "the Mistress of the Hunt," is an excellent tactician and shrewd business woman who uses her every available skill and resource to great advantage, although little is known of her background before taking on the "Diana" persona. Her obvious superhuman attributes make up the bulk of her superpowers (super agility, slightly better than normal strength, etc) and she is a very capable hand-to-hand fighter (the +2 dice with hand-to-hand attack type, not the MA type ;)) but she is best known for her skill with her crossbow, employing a variety of specially designed bolts, "trick" and otherwise (you guessed it, AP, NND Tranqs, the full gambit of "Bow-guy" stuff). Diana is the only one who knows the identity (or identities) of the groups benefactor, and the only one with whom "they" communicate with ("they" fund the Titans, as well as having supplied the previously non- or under-powered Titans with their current abilities, underwater base, and vehicles). However, despite this her leadership of the Titans is far from undisputed.

As a side note, the PCs recently discovered that Diana's more than human abilities may be the result of genetic manipulation courtesy of Dr. Savias.

Diana, Mistress of the Hunt

Diana.jpg

Viewing himself as the true leadership, talent, and powerhouse of the group, Mars, compliments his considerable martial skills, weapons expertise, and volatile temperament with the superhuman attributes of his cyborg body. Part of his brain and much of the rest of his body have been surgically replaced with considerably advanced technology, allowing him to surpass any normal human in physical or mental feats. In addition to the ability to download, upload, and access data directly to his brain, draw on a slew of super-senses, and generally throw a hell of a kick (or use his 35 STR to bash you over the head with his steel batons). Mars' cerebral processors allow him to be highly adaptive in combat situations. While in combat, he scans his enemies for even the most minute signs of weakness, and for every 1/2 phase (counts as an attack action) that Mars spends studying an opponent, he gains a +1 All combat level(s) while fighting that opponent (up to a so far undetermined amount). Oh yeah, and he also rides a cool, metallic red, high-tech Motorcycle that matches his boots, gloves, and helmet ;)

Note: Mars spent his years before the titans (and before his "re-birth" as a cyborg) as a small-time international Arms Dealer known as "Warlord" who until recently was serving time for war profiteering.

Mars

Mars.jpg

The token "Water-guy" of the Titans' team, Triton has a plethora of abilities that make him an incredibly deadly opponent -- in water (known, I believe, as the curse of Aquaman). Outside of an underwater engagement Triton is still a tough foe however, with his Armored "diving" suit (which can be electrified, of course) a "spear" gun capable of putting down a great white with one shot, and a steel-mesh net -- fired from one of his gauntlets -- capable of carrying the electric current from his suit to whoever, or whatever, is unfortunate to be tangled up in it. Triton also has access to a fairly large and sophisticated submarine, complete with a minor super-villainess first mate (Maco) and pirate underlings to do his bidding.

Before becoming a member of the Titans of Justice, Triton was known as Devilfish, a privateer wanted for international piracy and all-around douchebaggery.

Triton

Triton.jpg

Vulcan is able to generate massive amounts of heat around his own body (RKA Dmg SHield), and focus that heat into various effects with devices built into his costume. His gauntlets allow him to channel the heat he generates into shortwave burst capable of melting steel (4" cone AOE RKA) and flight through the use of miniature thrusters in his boots (per a as-of-yet unknown mechanism). The heat he generates is so intense that even small projectiles are likely to melt or burn up before they are able to do much harm to him. Of all the Titans Vulcan is pretty much the guy who is just happy to be along for the ride, and the most likely to run away if the going gets tough. (Fortunately for him, as the only member of the team who can pilot their flying vehicle, he gets to stay with the ship alot)

Once known by the infinitely crappy name of "Melter," Vulcan spent most his years prior to joining the Titans as a guest of Stronghold, but occasionally found the time to hire himself out as superpowered muscle between stays.

Vulcan

Vulcan.jpg

Last but not least, the most enigmatic, and by far the most powerful of the Titans lineup, Pandora has the peculiar ability to make pretty much anything happen. From turning the unlikely into coincidence to making the downright impossible probable Pandora's power would make her a goddess if not for her somewhat childlike skittishness and unstable mental state. She is also extremely "lucky", tending to be in the right place at the right time to avoid ever being truly harmed in combat. For game purposes Pandora has a large power pool with which she can pretty much do anything "coincidental" (e.g.: using other characters as the source of her indirect attacks -- copying their powers down to their sfx and advantages, having convenient things blow-up at the right time, or in at least one case, causing a massive and devastating undersea earthquake. (but no less "coincidental" ;)).

Pandora is the only member of the Titans who did not have a previous criminal record, although she has spent time in a mental health facility. Although it has recently come to light that she is most likely a mutant whose powers have been amplified by experimentation.

Pandora

Pandora.jpg

Ok, here are a couple of one shot villains that appeared to capture our one shot PC Hellion ( http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1722864&postcount=410 ).

Cacophony, the leader of a small renegade band of mutants (all who were previously test subjects in the same mutant enhancing experiments that Hellion and Pandora were born out of). In a nutshell, the ability to alter normal sounds into the infrasonic and ultrasonic ranges to achieve a number of nasty effects on her victims (Warning: may induce nausea, vomiting, hallucinations, or death ;))

Cacophony

Cacophony.jpg

Glamor, has the ability to use mental illusions to disguise her true appearance and take on any form she desires in the mind of onlookers. Makes a great spy and general mayhem maker (think mystique, but not vs. cameras). The PCs never actually encountered her in her "true" form (so not much besides what they were told by NPCs is known about her), but they did manage to see the pic I made for her anyway...so up she goes.

Glamor

OldMaiden.jpg

Next up: The Sentinels of the Republic...

This next group of NPCs, known as the "Sentinels of the Republic", were encountered by the PCs while they were trapped in one of the many alternate timelines that permeated etherio's original campaign. The Sentinels were not meant to be fought as a team (i.e. all at once) since each member was built to vastly out-scale the heroes in power level, (something that I think the players would agree I accomplished in spades), but still be beatable through the use of creativity, teamwork, and just the tiniest bit of help from some NPCs.

The basic premise of the setting is a post WWII America (circa mid 1950s -- think Vice President Mccarthy) where a fascist US Government (known as the "Universal State" of America, which remained neutral during the "Second Great War") struggles to keep its place in the world behind a Nazi dominated Europe and the Asia spanning Empire of Japan, all the while keeping at bay the ever present "spectre" of communism born out of a diminished, but no less defiant Soviet Union. In this setting all "aberrant humans" are hunted down and "disposed of," all save a few of the most powerful, who have joined with the Government "Purifiers" in order to help hunt their brethren.

All the NPCs are "alternate versions" of PCs, NPCs, or in one case, a DNPC, that once appeared in various campaigns, I'll link to them as I put the pics up.

Leader of the Sentinels, by virtue of his domineering personality and towering intellect, Dr. Sinuous is one part mad scientist, one part government bureaucrat. His ability to build devices and machines that border on the mystical allow him great leeway with a US government that barely tolerates his existence. Although he loathes personally becoming engaged in combat, when forced, he can inflict a remarkable amount of chaos on his opponents with a wide variety of strange abilities in the form of his "devices." Oh yeah, and did I mention he's a "stretchy guy," with the full compliment of powers that you would expect a "stretchy guy" to have ;)

Dr. Sinuous first appeared as a DNPC of the Flexible Man, the scientist who invented the "Flexo Ray" which gave the Flexible Man his powers (It was a golden Age campaign, heh) Obviously, in this alternate timeline, the doctor used the ray on himself, making it so that the Flexible Man never existed.

Here is the Link to the Flexible Man http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=495464&postcount=182

Dr. Sinuous

DrSinuous.jpg