Knock-out Gas Grenades

Whitefury

Here's my current write up; am I missing a rule ?

'Asphyxiate Knock out gass grenade' 4d6 EB NND (Defense is LS:Self-Contained breathing or LS: Immunity to Asphyxiants; +1), Explosion (-1 DC/3"; +1) (60 Active); x4 Continuing Charges lasting an extra phase (-1/2), OAF (bag holding grenades; -1): Total Cost 24 points

You need to add Continuous to the power. Continuing Charges are only continuous if the power they are on is Constant or bought with the Continuous Advantage.

Because you are only going an extra Phase the GM might let it slide, or might require a smaller Continuous Advantage (say +1/2 instead of +1) be added.

Based on the special effect of the attack, I would also permit any character who holds his or her breath to be immune to the attack. And in HERO, some characters can hold their breath a long time. (My martial artist can hold her breath for 13 minutes, if she does nothing else, before she passes out.)

Originally posted by Trebuchet

Based on the special effect of the attack, I would also permit any character who holds his or her breath to be immune to the attack. And in HERO, some characters can hold their breath a long time. (My martial artist can hold her breath for 13 minutes, if she does nothing else, before she passes out.)

How do you determine holding breath, are you just using the drowning rules and assuming that holding your breath works the same way?

Originally posted by Toadmaster

How do you determine holding breath, are you just using the drowning rules and assuming that holding your breath works the same way?

Hold your breath and drowning are the same. They even share the heading for the rule on page 285 of FREd.

Not to jump topic, but could you create an "unbreathable environment" with Change Environment now? I don't see much of a guideline for in the rules.

Originally posted by Dust Raven

Not to jump topic, but could you create an "unbreathable environment" with Change Environment now? I don't see much of a guideline for in the rules.

This is actually a power in USPD. It is basically Change Enviroment with the "Temperature" modifier stating that it removes oxygen from the area, thus forcing the players to begin using the Drowning Rules when inside the area.

Originally posted by Dust Raven

Change Environment mostly allows you to create penalties to certain actions (Characteristics rolls, movement, etc.) but certain types of environments (such as extreme heat or cold) can obviously cause injuries and are allowed under the rules, although environments that cause direct harm are very expensive (5 points per single point of damage.).

A Change Environment creating very thin air, such as would be found on the top of Mt. Everest, would be a good way to reduce END and REC. It may not be "unbreathable", but it would certainly be barely breathable by most characters. :cool:

Originally posted by Monolith

This is actually a power in USPD. It is basically Change Enviroment with the "Temperature" modifier stating that it removes oxygen from the area, thus forcing the players to begin using the Drowning Rules when inside the area.

So how would this be written up? How much Temperature Modifier would you need to have no breathable air?