Reverse Empathy?

Dust Raven

Here's the deal:

I"ve got this concept for an empath type character. The thing is, he subconsciously radiates his emotions and intentions to everyone around him. Basically I want the "Radiate their nature" ability of Psyscape Psychics presented in Rifts World Book 12: Psyscape on page 29 (Palladium Books).

The thing is, is this a Power or a Disadvantage, both or neither? On the one hand, such a character will almost always be able to inspire trust and friendship in others (at least in people that aren't predisposed against him). On the other hand, he'll rarely be able to sneak up on anyone or perform many surprise attacks and everybody will know exactly what he's feeling (and if those feelings are directed toward them).

Currently I'm leaning toward Disad and not a Power at all. After all, "No Poker Face" is listed in the Great Netbook of Hero System Disadvantages and this is just that on steroids!

I am very familiar with the Rifts line of products and in my opinion this would actualy be both a Power (5D6 Mind control 0-end, persistant +1, always on -1/2 Self emotions only -1 (a modified uncontroled limitation as in the book) for 20 points) Then give him a DF: not concealable -15 (in some cultures such as around the CS troopers this could cause a vilent reaction).

The Always On Mind Control looks cool, and doesn't cost much either. The boosted PRE doesn't seem like it would work, because the empath could just as easily be an insecure, uncharismatic twit, and simply boradcast that. I'll run both by the GM and see what she says.

Thanks,

Originally posted by Dust Raven

The Always On Mind Control looks cool, and doesn't cost much either. The boosted PRE doesn't seem like it would work, because the empath could just as easily be an insecure, uncharismatic twit, and simply boradcast that.

Well, first off, is the character you're building an insecure, uncharasmatic twit? If not, it doesn't matter, unless you're building a package that various people might take, including insecure, uncharasmatic twits :)

However, if I'm understanding you he's an insecure, uncharismatic twit that makes everyone around him an insecure, uncharismatic twit, and so can influence them more easily. It's like if I have a 5 PRE and am used to it and everyone around me has a 5 PRE for the first time, I still come out on top. That could be bought as Mind Control or Presence Drain, or just Presence.

But, like I said, I don't know the system, and the Mind Control certainly works.

Mind Control implies that other people are affected by the character's emotional state (I'm angry so now you are too). If the character just telegraphs his emotion to anybody around, then this is just a Distinctive Feature. It's wrong to make a character pay points for a power that doesn't do anything.

Originally posted by Deejmeister

Mind Control implies that other people are affected by the character's emotional state (I'm angry so now you are too). If the character just telegraphs his emotion to anybody around, then this is just a Distinctive Feature. It's wrong to make a character pay points for a power that doesn't do anything.

In the Psyscape book, it describes the ability as a "week version of empathic transfer." The way I see it, it's just a telegraph of emotions and intentions to the people around him. Now, this would make this character completely sincere, since he can't hide anything from what he's saying and the people around him will know it (though they might not believe it, and get freeked out by the sensation). This might make it easier for him to talk to people, but not necessarily a full blown bonus to PRE. Maybe just a reason to increase Persuasion and Oratory skills.

Still not sure though.

Change Environment: "Feel character's emotions" Varying Effects (Very Limited Group), 0 END, Persistent, Always On, Inherent.

Detect: Character's Emotions, Sense, Usable As Attack, Area of Effect, 0 END, Persistent, Always On, Inherent.

The size of the area effected can be changed as you like. ;)

--

RESIGN, v.t. To renounce an honor for an advantage. To renounce an advantage for a greater advantage. -- Ambrose Bierce