Cost of skills (increasing them) why?

Rerednaw

I've been reading through the 5E rules and noticed that some skills cost 1 point to raise and others cost 2 points to raise per level. The example here refers for Knowledge skills:

Page 41, FRED: "Two Character points...gives the character and 11-..."

Page 42, FRED: "...Alternatively, a character can base a skill on INT for 3 character points... In either case, each +1 to the skill roll costs 1 Character Point."

This makes KS (and PS and SS) cheaper than standard 3/2 skills.

I guess I'd prefer to either see a +1/1 or +1/2 as a standard. And I know as a GM I can rule by default, but I wanted to know what the reason was. Was it grandfathered in?

Anyone?

Cheers.

Background Skills aren't perceived as being as generally useful as other Skills. Also, you can buy a Background Skill for 2 points for an 11- roll, and it would seem counter-intuitive for a +1 to the roll to cost as much as the Skill itself cost. I'm not sure what you mean by "grandfathered in," but if you mean, "Has this always been the cost of +1 to Background Skills?" then the answer is yes. :)

My take is this. All the "usefull" skills are listed and are based on a characteristic (or are skill levels or martial art maneuvers). Then there are the "create your own" skills that fill in the gaps in a character's knowledge and expertise. Of these create your own varity, 5E offers two varieties: Background Skills and the Power skill.

Background Skills are the gap fillers that specialize a character's knowledge and training, and as such only coast +1/1 to increase.

Power Skills are the gap fillers that provide us with a way to create new "usefull" skills that are equal in caliber to the main listed skills. A classic example would be the Magic Skill used in many Fantasy Hero campaigns.

I think KS are VERY useful...

Say your character has made a practice of studying supertypes or secret organizations all his life. He collects documentation and any reports or clues to their habits, practices, tactics and weaknesses. (Maybe he was in the records and research division of UNTIL or PRIMUS)

KS: Superheros

KS: UNTIL

KS: Supervillains

KS: Supervillain weaknesses.

KS: Supervillain main abilities\powers.

KS: PSI

KS: DEMON

KS: VIPER

KS: VIPER (local nest)

The list goes on but wouldn't these knowledge skills be of a great benefit?

For example:

Oh yeah, that happens to be Supervillain X, his main abilities of force field manipulation stem from that glowing amulet around his neck, but he's got a weakness for redheads...wielding sharp nasty pointy things.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Or look at is this way:

Which is more usefull: A full knowledge of acrobatic maneuvers and how to correctly perform them...or the actual skill in doing so?

Knowing about types of tracks and tell-tale signs of passage through the wilderness...or the ability to follow those tracks and signs and have an idea of where they are headed?

Knowing the answers to hundreds of riddles and mind twisters, or being able to solve new ones through deduction and reasoning?

The point costs of Background skills reflect the difference in usefullness.