game mechanics ?

Patriot

Re: game mechanics ?

Originally posted by Patriot

Can you make a called shot with a NND? A martial strike type, not like sleep gas

Its never came up in my game before, but someone asked me today

thanks!

As long as the SFX make sense, I don't see why not. Examples:

A poison gas NND called shot to the head might do extra damage. It's targeted on the mouth/nose area.

A soul drain NND shouldn't make any difference where it hits.

Keith "Mr. Common Sense" Curtis

Called Shot NND

HERO 5 , Martial Arts, Page 254.

Choke Hold & Nerve Strike do NND damage with NO RANGE.

Obviously a Choke Hold centers on the neck area (P.264)

but suffers only a -2 OCV (P. 254) as opposed to a -4 or -8 for " Called Shot" ( P. 276)

Now if your player wishes to take NND with NO Range,

with possible limitation (MUST CALL SHOT, at a minus)

why not.

EXAMPLES:

[ A Serpents poisonous bite is a NO RANGE NND ]

[ Death's touch is often seen as touching the shoulder, a CALLED SHOT NND type]

But some players may see this as a way to do extra damage very cheaply = (Some areas may do x2 STUN.) Check the player carefully for this possible abuse of system.

Most (but not all) martial artish NNDs will have predetermined hit locations. If sucessfull, they will always trike the specified location, but receive no modification (good or bad) from that location. Examples include Choke Hold (neck), Nerve Strike (usually the vitals, sometimes neck), Ear Slap (well, duh). Others affect something beyond the simple physiology of the character (a ch'i attack for instance) or something internal (like a poison) and the hit location, though it can vary, won't make a bit if difference.

Now if you want to get creative, you can say a Nerve Strike will have different effects upon striking different parts of the body. After all, not all nerve centers are created equally. In this case, rolling for hit location, as using called shots, would definately apply.

Originally posted by Dust Raven

Most (but not all) martial artish NNDs will have predetermined hit locations. If sucessfull, they will always trike the specified location, but receive no modification (good or bad) from that location. Examples include Choke Hold (neck), Nerve Strike (usually the vitals, sometimes neck), Ear Slap (well, duh). Others affect something beyond the simple physiology of the character (a ch'i attack for instance) or something internal (like a poison) and the hit location, though it can vary, won't make a bit if difference.

Now if you want to get creative, you can say a Nerve Strike will have different effects upon striking different parts of the body. After all, not all nerve centers are created equally. In this case, rolling for hit location, as using called shots, would definately apply.

Speaking for this GM, Dust Raven's take is pretty much mine. Martial NND's generally have a pre-determined hit location (choke hold always being the neck is a good example). I tried an optional rule involving nerve strikes and hit locs having "disabling" effects, but it didn't work as well as I'd have liked.