Variable Adders?

Grailknight

Re: Variable Adders?

I'd make them do one of three things.

1. Buy all the Adders they want to use - as you can choose which adders apply at any given moment. Character has a full range of options available.

2. Take the cost of the largest Adder, double it. Apply "Limited Power: One Adder at a time -1/4" to the power.

3. Combo of the two ... purchase all the Adders you want to use, Apply "Limited Power: One Adder at a time -1/2 or -3/4 depending on what the GM thinks that would be worth).

1. and 3. are the ones I think work best, 2. was just tossed out there as an idea, but I don't really think it's a good one.

Variable advantage is double cost, so that would be a good starting point.

I can think of a few cases where a variable adder should have no cost savings. There would be no disadvantage in only being able to affect one class of mind at a time, for instance.

It would definitely NEVER be a disadvantage. The problem I'm having is that adders vary so much in usefulness from power to power that I can't get a good read on whether double is enough. It seems to cheap on movement and sense affecting powers and not useful enough on things like force wall. I'm hesitant to disalow it altogether but I'll have to make my decision after more research. If anyone has ever tried this,your input would be appreciated.

How much would you charge for Variable Adders on a power? I got this question from a newbie and I wanted to bounce it off the Boards to see if other ideas? I'm leaning toward +1 but that may be a little low for some of the movement powers.

like this i would get through succor

Succor [the power] : standard effect (3, 6, 9 etc...)

+ 0 END +1/2

+ Persistent: +1/2

+ Can add adders: +1

- only to add adders : -1/4

- self only : -1/2

the number of dices or the amount of standard is function of the value of the adder you want to get :

for 6 pts adders : 30 Act. pts; 17 real

for 10 pts adders : 51 Act. pts; 29 real

etc ...

something about my own answer bothered me as I'd seen rules on this somewhere... here it is:

FREd pg75 : Advatnage +1 "Can apply/remove adders." For use with Adjustment Powers.

If the character wants to be able to change adders for a power make him buy an Adjustment Power (AID would be an obvious choice) to affect the powers he wishes to have the Adders applied to.

My first thought was to just buy it in a limited VPP (for only that Power). That's I I usually do increadibly skilled teleporters. But if you wanted this Power as part of some other Framework a VPP is impossible.

I like the idea of using Succor with the Add Adders Advantage. To make it more useful, you could make it 0 END and Persistant to avoid using an attack action to use your last assigned Adders, although you'd still need to to change them (although a linient GM might wave this). You could then limit the Succor so that in can only add Adders instead of just increasing the level of the Power (a -1 perhaps?).