Thoughts and questions for autofire

Toadmaster

Ok, I liked the AF rules from DI (big surprise), bonuses to hit for AF etc. To represent this I guess it would be easiest to buy guns with AF, CSL's only with AF? (+1 OCV with 3 round burst, +2 with 5 rounds and +4 with 10 etc? I am assuming the lim on the CSL's would be minimal probably 1/4.

How about a gatling (the old hand cranked type) AF with the lim "based on STR" Perhaps using the point value of the STR go towards buying levels of AF? How much of a lim do you think this would be worth.

Any ideas?

Re: Thoughts and questions for autofire

Originally posted by Toadmaster

Ok, I liked the AF rules from DI (big surprise), bonuses to hit for AF etc. To represent this I guess it would be easiest to buy guns with AF, CSL's only with AF? (+1 OCV with 3 round burst, +2 with 5 rounds and +4 with 10 etc? I am assuming the lim on the CSL's would be minimal probably 1/4.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here.

How about a gatling (the old hand cranked type) AF with the lim "based on STR" Perhaps using the point value of the STR go towards buying levels of AF? How much of a lim do you think this would be worth.

Any ideas?

From what I understand, gatling guns aren't buy the round accurate, but are meant for hosing an area. I'd represent this in game with the Area Affect Advantage rather than AF. If you want STR to be a factor, make it a Ranged HKA, with the SFX being that the stronger the gunner, the more round they fire, the more bullets hit their targets.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here.

It used to be that if you were firing all of the Autofire shots at a single target, you got a bonus to hit.

If you want STR to be a factor, make it a Ranged HKA, with the SFX being that the stronger the gunner, the more round they fire, the more bullets hit their targets.

I think what he's asking about is that since the Gatling Guns were hand-cranked, that would mean that the stronger you are, the faster you can turn the crank, and therefore the faster you can shoot.

Originally posted by mattingly

It used to be that if you were firing all of the Autofire shots at a single target, you got a bonus to hit.

This could be easily simulated with CSLs. Though if you wanted a universal bonus, a house rule to this effect would be great.
I think what he's asking about is that since the Gatling Guns were hand-cranked, that would mean that the stronger you are, the faster you can turn the crank, and therefore the faster you can shoot.

The AE effect could easily simulate this. The stronger you are, the more damage is done. The greater the damage, the larger the area (the larger the area bullets can fly into).

But this is just one of the most efficient and practical ways of simulating a gatling, certainly not the most realistic.

Re: Thoughts and questions for autofire

Originally posted by Toadmaster

{snip}

Any ideas?

Thing about Gatlings is, below a certain rotational velocity they don't fire because they need a certain amount of, for lack of a better term, "energy" in the rotation to get all the bits working, and working in sync---the extractor, the loading mechanisms, etc.

However, above the certain rotational velocity they jam because part X can't keep up with parts Y, Z, etc.

Basically, there's a very narrow range of rotational velocities that a Gatling will work with.

--

"From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step." -- Denis Diderot