Longest Running Thread EVER

The grandfather who is closest to a cipher claimed Welsh descent. Utterly no way to check that.

The other grandparents have at least believable claims to ancestry in North America going back before the American Revolution, including one whose tree includes a Mayflower passenger. So lots of English & Scots.

I haven't seen any explicit claims to Irish ancestors, but as motley as the bloodline gets in places, who knows?

My wife tells me that yesterday here at home there was an episode where she could hear many -- upwards of a dozen -- crows around the house, screaming for all they were worth. Then she saw the reason fly away: apparently we had had an eagle standing on our roof.

My wife tells me that yesterday here at home there was an episode where she could hear many -- upwards of a dozen -- crows around the house, screaming for all they were worth. Then she saw the reason fly away: apparently we had had an eagle standing on our roof.

We have a lot of hawks in Kansas. Our house is about ten minutes by highway from the city, and about five minutes from the boondocks, so usually, five minutes one way, and its farm houses and big hawks on street lights.

One day, my wife shouts for me to look out the window. I do, there's a hawk across the street in our neighbors yard chowing down on a rabbit. I'm looking, when I hear my wife going out the door. She's got a camera in her hand.

I follow her, expecting her to take a picture from our side of the street. No. She crosses the street, and then slowly sidles up and takes a couple pictures. Then, sidles closer, more pictures.

In the end, she's no more than three feet from the hawk, and she takes a whole roll of film of the hawk eating, looking at her, eating.

She's an awesome, dangerous woman.

Unfortunately, the camera's shutter was apparently broken in a closed position. This was in the days of film. No pictures whatsoever, she rails about this loss to this day, while I assure her, the best pictures of that day are still in my head. She calls me a kiss up. I don't argue it. She's got hawk allies, I'd best not make trouble.

That's a nice opp. I've had a hawk almost drop his dinner on me ... half-eaten pigeon falls from above next to me on the walkway, and when I look up, there's the Cooper's hawk looking down at what he'd dropped. Nice of him to share, but I wasn't hungry.