Longest Running Thread EVER

On June 11, 2019 at 3:03 PM, death tribble said:

Actually January 1st 2021 will be the start of the next decade and that will take the thread into a third decade 

The Millennium started January 1st 2001

Back in December 1999 I was in a stupidmeeting with the dean and the science chairs (I had to be there due to my being director of the Astronomy Program) and the dean opened with "Welcome to the last of these meetings in the 20th Century."  The acting chair of the Math Department objected that the year 2000 was still part of the 20th Century (whis is correct), but I gave my interpretation, which this was the last of these stupidmeetings for 13 months.  That latter interpretation was much more popular.

• 1 cup fire-roasted Hatch green chile (I'm using jarred stuff, so needn't be fresh)
  • 1 cup chicken broth 
  • a 1/4-inch thick slice of onion
  • 1 cup tomatillos (I'm using ones we froze after getting them fresh at the farmers market ... you need them thawed if you do this)
  • 1 tsp each dried oregano, dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt

put everything in a blender & homogenize.

Pour mixture into small saucepan 

bring to low boil, simmer 15 minutes while you roll the enchiladas 

(Optional: add a tsp or so of flour, stir, thicken sauce some; do this last, right before pouring it over enchiladas, if you do)

preheat oven to 350F* (N.B. this assumes a glass baking dish)

grease a 8-by-11 or 9-by-12 inch baking pan

(N.B. with a larger pan you may need to make a batch-and-a-half of the sauce)

using slightly more than all the dark meat from a roast chicken (the chicken does need to be cooked; white or dark meat doesn't matter), shredded,

and a roughly equal volume of shredded white cheese (plain Monterey jack seems superior),

spoon 2-3 Tbsp or so each chicken and cheese

and a tsp to a Tbsp of the same Hatch chile as above

into an 8- or 9-inch flour tortilla and roll the tortilla up, put roll into baking dish

(8 or 9 of these will fill the dish)

Pour sauce over the rolls, put in oven, bake for 20 min

Shred another 1/2 to 3/4 cup of cheese

when the 20 minutes is up, spread the newly-shredded cheese over the enchiladas 

back into the oven for another 10 minutes

Serve.  This recipe serves four adults.

There were lots of (illegal) fireworks around my house last night.  The cats clearly felt the place was under siege.  I know better; all the explosions, though nearby, were aerial: none of the really frightening (and destructive) subsurface blasts.

Also, more or less independent of nationality, it seems like women's soccer teams have at most four non-blondes on the field at any time.  I expect that from Sweden, it doesn't bother me from the Netherlands, but the rest?  Hrm.