Longest Running Thread EVER

As someone who lived in that era ... Actually, no, people didn't think that lack of access to information caused stupidity.  Lack of access to information is (or was) a contributing factor to the condition of ignorance.

Stupidity is independent of access to information.

Watched a few minutes of an XFL game this morning, simply because it was on after the Premier League match ended.  I hadn't realized the Seattle club had hired Jim Zorn as head coach, who will be a household name here in Seattle forever from his role as the first successful Seahawks QB.

I was feeling pretty good about this class on their first exam, but when I shuffled the papers proor to grading the last page I seem to have inadvertently sorted them by student ability, with highest ability toward the top.  The last 15 papers are gonna kill me.

I used to sort them with the best students on the bottom. Because they usually get the same wrong answers, it helped to figure out how to grade a given wrong answer early in the stack. There were always one or two really... creative... wrong answers but otherwise this sorting method sped things up considerably. 

I grade one page at a time, anonymously, and shuffle papers randomly between pages to minimize damage done by the halo effect (after a good answer, I'm more generous for a few papers; after a bad answer, I'm harsher than usual for a few papers), and to maintain consistency in how I grade a given problem.  All this is fairness issue control.

Also, this being the first exam, I don't know which ones are the good students yet.

I do the compare-among-best-students thing after it's done to see things where I fell down in getting them prepared.  But not until everything's graded.

HAH!  Grading done, but I have yet to do sums.  And copy sums into grade book.  And do an illustrative curve.

EDIT: Pity I teach in half an hour; at home, it'd be time for a congratulatory (and cool-down) shot of Irish.  Besides, it's only 0908 PST.  Little early for that yet.

I was told once about this bizarre thing called the "Texas Curve". Basically, you take the score out of 100, find the square root, and then multiply that by 10. That's the Texas Curve score.

I could think of no useful purpose for such a thing beyond grade inflation. Which is something some parents want, I suppose.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

I was told once about this bizarre thing called the "Texas Curve". Basically, you take the score out of 100, find the square root, and then multiply that by 10. That's the Texas Curve score.

I could think of no useful purpose for such a thing beyond grade inflation. Which is something some parents want, I suppose.

An arctan function would the same sort of thing (and would compress those twerps with more than 100% because of extra credit), but I know enough about Texas to know that only commies would even know what an arctan function is.