Longest Running Thread EVER

Well, let's put it this way.  Most of the online courses I have heard about have had longer than two weeks from a stading start to work out their arrangements and develop an online infrastructure and protocol.

This is also the course I have waxed poetic over.  I'll find the link.

This one

Yeah, I think the problem is not so much whether it it possible, but how to set it up in less than two weeks.

You could go open book and set a particular time for the exam.  That's basically what the test was for my current position - a Word doc that was sent to me at 2pm that had to be sent back by 3.  If cheating is a serious problem then you could set up a Google Meet or other webex, but then your students would need both a webcam-equipped device and a presentable place to take the exam.

That's it.  It certainly can be done, but I've never done it, and the institution hasn't got canned process on the shelf, and the go-live for lecture is in 15.5 hours, no one but me is present on site at 1800 PDT on a Sunday, and the go-live for exams is 16 days.

Meanwhile, we finally got our US Census stuff, the mandated-by-the-Constitution decennial head count.  Wife (who is a Census Bureau employee) is entering data now.

I remember filling out the form in 1980 and 1990; others in the household did it the other years.  Except for 1970, when we weren't in the US.

Made chicken pie tonight.  First significant piece of cooking I've had time to do in I don't know how long.  Also did a bunch of cleaning.  (Disturbing but true... I am the neatest one in this house, and I like lots and lots of entropy.)

New machine is supposed to come Wednesday.  Setting it up for everything I need to do with it will take some time.  This poor 7.5 year old iPad just doesn't have the mojo to do much ... most commercial sites (more precisely, the ads on most sites) crash the browser before the page can fully load.

Need to grade labs, many of which are in attachments on emails on the campus machines.  Probably will have to go there Tuesday to get everything graded.

Spent half an hour or so hacking at shrubbery behind the back fence, trying to improve sightlines at the corner there.  And, I got to use edged weapons on something that can neither fight back nor get me arrested for attacking.  Quit when the yard waste bin was mostly full.

New machine arrived this evening.  Still negotiating the setup process.  Not sure when the last time was when I set up a new machine.  Maybe never.  Depends on whether you count the FORMAT C: and installing Win2K from a set of CDs my employer had thrown away.  That machine was never connected to any other, or to the Internet, so it was a less handholdy-type situation.

• 3 weeks later...