Longest Running Thread EVER

I've been reading papers about the physics of lightning, and blundered across one that caught my attention because it includes spectroscopy.  But it turns out to be valuable scientifically because the position of the lightning strike is particularly well determined, because one very-short-exposure image catches it AS IT STRIKES A CAR driving on I-90 and the strike then jumps from car body to the road.  (Actually, it went the other way: the positive leader went from road to car, then from car up to meeting the negative leader some ten or 12 meters above the car, but I'm sure the people in the car were unaware of the distinction.)  Usually lightning images have a lot of ambiguity because you have little information about distance from the camera, but in this case the location can be pinned down to a couple of meters.

That said, I'm glad *I* wasn't the guy driving in the middle of f***ing nowhere*, South Dakota in a middle-of-the-night thunderstorm (11 September 2009 at 0615:55.786 UT, which is 0115 CDT and small change) and had lightning strike *my* car...

*No offense, but New Underwood, SD eminently qualifies as "middle of f***ing nowhere".  Consult a map if you don't believe me.  And the citation on the paper is Warner et al, JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, VOL. 116, D12210, doi:10.1029/2011JD015663, 2011.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

*No offense, but New Underwood, SD eminently qualifies as "middle of f***ing nowhere".  Consult a map if you don't believe me.  And the citation on the paper is Warner et al, JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, VOL. 116, D12210, doi:10.1029/2011JD015663, 2011.

It's in South Dakota. "The middle of f***ing nowhere" is understood.

And, this rainy Friday afternoon, I am trying to decide if my DGAF quotient is high enough from me to blow off the all-college business meeting that starts at 3:30.  As the Magic 8-Ball might indicate when consulted, "My sources say yes".

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 3:08 PM, Pariah said:

Tonight I read a short book (~35 pages) titled "It's Not About You" by Tom Rath. It gave me some things to ponder. I'll probably read it again in a few days.

And because I need some escapist reading as well, I think I'll start Shannon Hale's "Princess Academy" tomorrow. We've had the book for a year and a half, but neither of us has read it yet. I guess I get to be first.

have you done both? 

On 4/4/2021 at 2:48 PM, Bazza said:

By the look of it, there is a third book as well. And, she and her husband wrote a Wonder Woman story as well titled “Diana: Princess of the Amazons”. 

There is a third book, Princess Academy: The Forgotten Sisters. The second book has a short preview of it included. I have the book, but haven't started it yet. Soon, I hope.

I was actually introduced to Shannon Hale's work by Lady P via a book called Austenland. It has a sort-of sequel called Midnight in Austenland. Austenland is a Jane Ausen-flavoured modern romantic comedy; Midnight may or may not be a murder mystery that happens to share the same setting.

31 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Better than vultures or crows I'm sure.

Crows live here, year-round, and we have an excellent working arrangement with the ones whose territory includes our north ("front") yard.  (Our back yard is within the territory of another pair.)  I am not entirely sure where their nest is, but it's high in a Douglas fir tree no more than 50 m from where I'm sitting (and probably much closer).  They recognize individual humans, and individual cats.  We put stuff out for them and call them; they usually call back and come promptly.  The decrepid old lawn furniture table out there (it's at least 30 years old) we call the "Crow Offering Table".

I happen to like vultures, but they only occasionally appear in this area; pretty much only in the summer (and not very often at all in the built-up areas).  All we get here are the turkey vultures. 

The eagles are resident here year-round, but it doesn't happen often that they soar over our place.  Their nearest usual nesting site is about 3/4 of a mile west of us, and the Sound (where the fish are) is west of that.  We also have ospreys and several kinds of hawks as permanent residents around us, but none live very nearby.  The red-tails and other buteos work the freeway medians anytime the weather allows.  Every once in a while an interested merlin (a small falcon) checks out our neighborhood for nesting purposes, but the crows give them hell immediately and drive them away in a few days.

24 minutes ago, L. Marcus said:

Ravens are much cooler.

Ravens rarely show up in the cities.  They too are permanent residents in the area (and figure prominently in the native folklore of the region), but they don't take as well to people as the crows.  I find the symbiosis of crows and humans interesting.