Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Well, it isn't really metagaming when there is a complete misunderstanding on everyone's part, and we're just trying to fix it so the game goes smoother. :D

I don't blame Josh one bit for feeling frustrated. I had it happen to me before when I tried making a game I was running more "interesting" and threw out some red herrings, and the players spent the rest of the evening going in the complete opposite direction than I had planned. I finally had to fess up and explain my mistake. They still got exp for it so they weren't too mad. ;)

And SS, I'm glad I could help.

I think what I'll do for now on is focus on one direction only and if people decide to ask about the other directions available, give it to them. Besides, Dr. Anomaly already knows what it is that is located up north and probably knows why I want you guys to go that way.

Well, it isn't really metagaming when there is a complete misunderstanding on everyone's part, and we're just trying to fix it so the game goes smoother. :D

I don't blame Josh one bit for feeling frustrated. I had it happen to me before when I tried making a game I was running more "interesting" and threw out some red herrings, and the players spent the rest of the evening going in the complete opposite direction than I had planned. I finally had to fess up and explain my mistake. They still got exp for it so they weren't too mad. ;)

And SS, I'm glad I could help.

That's happened to me more times than I can count in the 23 years I've been GMing. In fact, I've got so used to it that I never count on the players actually going through the adventure/plot I had planned, and just roll with whatever they end up deciding to do. This is especially the case when they seriously sit down and talk over and analyze the information...and come to the wrong conclusion. What do I do? Generally, try to rewrite the plot so that was the right conclusion, because I had to see all the honest effort and inspired (if misdirected) moments of epiphany go to waste. ;)

The last major time I had something like that happen, I had arranged a little thing so my character would be off doing something else while I was GMing -- I find it difficult to GM if my own character is part of the group, because I'm never sure if I'm giving him too many breaks or overcompensating the other direction.

In any case, after talking over a few things, the rest of the group decided that my character was in fact in deadly danger, and needed to be rescued from the mage society to whom he'd gone to explain a few recent actions. :doi:

It led to a long, complex, convoluted adventure involving inter-mage politics, a murder, and lastly a big fight against a deep-cover DEMON operative that had infiltrated the highest ranks of the council of mages in question.

None of which I had intended to have happen, nor did I know was going to take place until it did. :)

It's still one of the adventures my players talk about most fondly, too. One of them asked me "Was that really the adventure, or did we misinterpret things?" Before I could say anything another one piped up with "If it was, we'll never know...and that's fine by me! I loved the adventure we did have!"

(shrug)

Well' date=' I'm not mad at you or RPMiller, if that's what you're worried about. I'm rolling with it as it happened.[/quote']

Me too... I wasn't worried about you. More concerned about further frustrating the GM.

IMO, as a GM of... don't remember how long and I'm mostly retired these days... You're better off coming up with some plot points and giving the players free reign. I call it the 'No Expectation' method of GMing.

Me too... I wasn't worried about you. More concerned about further frustrating the GM.

IMO, as a GM of... don't remember how long and I'm mostly retired these days... You're better off coming up with some plot points and giving the players free reign. I call it the 'No Expectation' method of GMing.

Which is my style, but it is harder than it seems sometimes, especially with a play by post when you lose the ability to inflect and the instant responses from players at a table. Not only that, but everyone is there at once instead of only one to three players one moment and different players later. It makes open direction difficult.

Which is my style' date=' but it is harder than it seems sometimes, especially with a play by post when you lose the ability to inflect and the instant responses from players at a table. Not only that, but everyone is there at once instead of only one to three players one moment and different players later. It makes open direction difficult.[/quote']

Heh! I absolutely agree! Especially when you're trying to coordinate with two separate groups. You're crazy that way.

Can you imagine Keith Curtis right now with what, 5 groups?

Super "not in any of KC's groups right now :weep: " Squirrel

I thought Cas was off hunting on her own...

That is probably the reason he is incommunicado...

Ricco always gets stuck with Faliol.

;)

You don't like winnie the pooh? * is confused*

Oi vey...my mind really is frucked up from my bad afternoon at work...I've gotta get out of that place...and quickly...the boss is stressing me out major and jumping on my case for stupid shit...

*slinks to the floor shaking her head sadly and sighing*