Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Here's some more to keep you interested before I collapse into sleep... ;)

I strained the inductors as hard as I could get them to dive out of the line of fire of an Imperium destroyer. Using the scant seconds of breathing room to bring up the ablation field just before a particle beam grazed the hull. The Imperium hasn't been this deep into the Disputed Territories since their war with the Confederation and the Amaterasans a few decades ago. If they have a Crusader Fleet in this sector, then either they are gearing up for another round or they are looking for the Celestial Dawn as well. And I had a sick feeling that it could very well be the latter.

I got a fix on the ship that fired on me. It happened to be an Imperium gunship. I charged up my weapon systems and pumped some extra power into the ablation field. Time the show the dreg that I'm not in the mood to be preached at from the barrel of a cannon.

The targeting computer keeps the gunship on my scope as I swing around to fire on him form the side. Both my high intensity laser cannons read green and ready to cycle. Once my firing solution is primed I let loose a blistering hail of laser fire from my cannons.

His ablation field is quickly chewed away and I can strike his hull. He recovers from his shock and pulls up and out of my firing arc. I try to stay with him but he has the more manueverable craft. My sensors warn me that he has now dropped in behind me and is targeting me. But I have a suprise for him.

I can feel the ship shudder slightly as he fires on me and makes contact with my ablation field. I let him rebuild his confidence a little more before I activate the two linked mecha scale particle miniguns that are part of the rear turret.

This time my ship shudders from the miniguns firing a storm of particle bolts at the gunship. They quickly go through what little of his ablation field he had left. Then ripping through the cockpit and finally breaching the power core. The gunship is enveloped in a white ball of light and is no more.

My sensors pick up a lone Imperium destroyer moving in on a couple of light freighters that appear to have been caught in the crossfire also. I could tell easily that they were unarmed, so I angled in on the destroyer. Any enemy ships coming to close to me getting a taste of the particle miniguns.

I began to fire at the destroyer with my laser cannons once I was within range. Making sure that I was moving around too erratically for their weapons to get a good lock on me. I get bounced around by a few close shots and grazes. But my ablation field holds up and I can see that the constant laser barrage has created a nice little hole for me.

I load up a pair of plasma torpedoes into the launch tubes. Wait for the firing solution to prime. then fire off the torpedoes. They slip in past the point defense fire and through the hole. They impact and detonate just below the command tower.

The plasma soon begins to superheat the atmosphere in the command tower and several smaller explosions follow. The destroyer begins to list and drift. The freighters take this as a good sign and increase speed to get to safety.

A wing of local naval fighters give me a flyby as I wing around and look for any other Imperium ships to render useless. But it appears that the Imperium has not enjoyed the outcome of the battle and began to pull back. My sensors pick up the eddy of the gravitic bow wave as the Crusader Fleet engages their H-K drives and speed off out of the system.

I do a quick survey of and damage to my ship and am suprised that I got off rather easy. But something in the back of my mind kept talling me that it was just too easy. I was starting to wonder if this was all a setup. Then I realized that I never detected the star fortress that is the heart of all Imperium fleets during the course of the whole battle.

I know that one usually becomes focused only on saving one's arse in the middle of the battle like this. But a star fortress, even the massive Navarone-class vessels, aren't exactly easy to miss.

But my pondering of the situation was short-lived at the sensors detected a massive power spike nearby. That was when the largest star fortress that I have ever seen appeared right before me.

• Replies 34.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cancer

• L. Marcus

• Bazza

• AliceTheOwl

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've been looking madly for a new apartment (amazing how a deadline will motivate you!), and we found a place we really like. It's a large (1600 square foot) side of a duplex with three bedrooms on a

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER   Edit: Okay, I managed to fill every line, but goodness knows I'm open to suggestions for improvement!     Welcome to the Forum NGD   Welcome to the Forum NG

Long preamble here.   The administrative unit in which I have the Associate Director title got moved out of one building last spring (that one was subsequently demolished and the spot is bei

Posted Images

I know that last one's been debunked' date=' here.

The rest of them sound suspicious, but I can't find anything on snopes.

I was wondering how truthful they were. Still good enough to be included in an Illumaniti/Paranoid game -- disinformation and all that. :)

Thanks. So what's the new goal?

(And whatever it is, I just pushed us a tad bit closer to it.)

I thought we could try to exceed the nomber of threads the NGD has accumulated so far. Currently 9888 and it is a moving target.

If I were feeling in a more creative bent' date=' I'd attempt to do a [i']Hotel NGD[/i] based on the lyrics of Hotel California. But besides the fact I'm yawning my head off and thus should go to bed, "NGD" and "California" don't have the same number of syllables...
* sees Skaramine post but too late*

Would "N hyphen G D" work?

I thought we could try to exceed the nomber of threads the NGD has accumulated so far. Currently 9888 and it is a moving target.

Ah. But I'm betting we accumulate new posts faster than the NGD accumulates new threads, so we should be able to overtake it.

Why not just set the goal at 10k posts to the thread, and then be happy / celebrate when we pass the number of threads? :)

I was thinking along the lines of "Welcome to the Non-Gaming Discussion."

The inflection's a little off, but it fits.

"Welcome to the Ho-Tel Cal-i-forn-ia"...6 syllables.

"Welcome to the Non-Gam-ing Dis-cus-sion"...6 syllables.

But you're right, something about it doesn't scan well.

"Welcome to the For-um N-G-D"...5 syllables. Grrrr...

Well, maybe the 5-syllable thing would work, with some tinkering on the rest of the song...

Edit: Okay, I managed to fill every line, but goodness knows I'm open to suggestions for improvement!

Welcome to the Forum NGD

Welcome to the Forum NGD

Such a lovely board

Find a common chord

Plenty of threads at the Forum NGD

Any time of year, you can find them here

'Bec's mind is totally twisted, Hermit's got the funny polls

Pup's got a lot of pretty, pretty pics, daily is his goal

How they post in the forums, argue and fret.

Some post to remember, some post to forget

So I called up Ben Seeman,

'Where's negative rep?'

He said, 'we haven't had that option here since before your first step'

And still that keyboard is calling from far away,

Wake you up in the middle of the night

Just to post and say...

Welcome to the Forum NGD

Such a lovely board

Find a common chord

They're flamin’ it big at the Forum NGD

With the grand designs, bring your party lines!

Flamers on the forums,

The trolls posting twice

And Alice said 'we are all just posters here, because we have no life'

And in the GM’s chat room,

They gathered for the game

They shake and roll their ivory dice,

But they just can’t dodge the blame

Last thing I remember, I was

Searching -- such a chore!

I had to find the linkage back

To the thread I had before

’relax,’ said Dan Simon,

We are programmed to receive.

You can logout any time you like,

But you can never leave!

:rofl:

That's awesome. I love my cameo.

But I can't rep you again yet. Not for another day or two. Darn you and your making me laugh out loud at work!

You're welcome. ;) It seemed to me like the sort of thing you might say. :winkgrin:

This may not be the final form, as I'm still tinkering with it a bit (and as I said, am open to suggestions) but I'm glad it made you laugh already! :thumbup: