Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

He must be new here. I havn't even brought out Exploding Abe or Mentos Jesus yet. :yes:

Mentos Jesus is scary. And at first he seems okay, amusing, a little creepy...then day by day he starts to get more and more creepy! And at some point one feels one might actually give in, go get some Mentos, and spread the word...

Mentos Jesus is scary. And at first he seems okay' date=' amusing, a little creepy...then day by day he starts to get more and more creepy! And at some point one feels one might actually give in, go get some Mentos, and spread the word...[/quote']

I like Mentos...

Well, this is a great birthday I'm having...

I'm at work dealing with f$%^ spyware/viruses that infected our servers. Our servers!! That isn't supposed to happen. I want to take every virus/spyware writer and repay their kindness... Grrr.... Anyway, I'll be offline for a while.

Happy Birthday Mr Miller. :celebrate

Hmmm' date=' did this happen after the move to Utah?[/quote']

Nope. Used to be practically addicted to them, but I cut back on them about the same time the commercials started. I don't think I've had any in the last year. Nothing to do with the commercial, I think.

Nope. Used to be practically addicted to them' date=' but I cut back on them about the same time the commercials started. I don't think I've had any in the last year. Nothing to do with the commercial, I think.[/quote']

Sure, that's what you and the rest of your Utah Mentos cult say... :sneaky:

We have NGD members who live in Washington state, right?

I ask because my sister's residency is in Washington somewhere (can't remember where, exactly), and Josh and I are talking about flying out there to visit sometime. Not for a while, though; we need to make sure we have enough money to meet basic living expenses first.

WA is large enough that there are substantial differences across the state. Seattle's pretty pricey, especially stuff like rent, real estate, etc. They deny it vehemently, but Tacoma can be thought of as an outgrowth of Seattle. Spokane is very different and cheaper. I would not advise any sentient being visit Yakima. I know nothing about Vancouver, and I have only very limited knowledge of Richland/Pasco/Kennewick.

If you can let us know where in particular, and we can provide more detailed guidance....

Well, this is a great birthday I'm having...

I'm at work dealing with f$%^ spyware/viruses that infected our servers. Our servers!! That isn't supposed to happen. I want to take every virus/spyware writer and repay their kindness... Grrr.... Anyway, I'll be offline for a while.

If you've never heard of it before, spywareinfo.com is a HUGE help for the "mere mortal" side of the population. Probably not so much so for the sysadmin types. Still, it might be worth checking out.

If you've never heard of it before' date=' spywareinfo.com is a HUGE help for the "mere mortal" side of the population. Probably not so much so for the sysadmin types. Still, it might be worth checking out.[/quote']

Thanks. Actually that was one of the first I went to, although I find Castlecops.com to be even better.

Unfortunately, it has reared its ugly head again today. :mad:

This particular malware is the most malicious I've seen to date. I have two users' computers that seem to be the source of the most damage, and removed them, but I still have to figure out a way to permenantly remove it from my servers. This may become another long night... :(

WA is large enough that there are substantial differences across the state. Seattle's pretty pricey, especially stuff like rent, real estate, etc. They deny it vehemently, but Tacoma can be thought of as an outgrowth of Seattle. Spokane is very different and cheaper. I would not advise any sentient being visit Yakima. I know nothing about Vancouver, and I have only very limited knowledge of Richland/Pasco/Kennewick.

If you can let us know where in particular, and we can provide more detailed guidance....

Vancouver, which is in Canada and not Washington, is a really nice city... modern, pretty clean, essentially American but with some European-like improvements. Most places take US$, many even have the day's exchange rate programmed into the registers. If you like to shop then Robson Street is a must, otherwise check out the gardens and aquarium in summer and the skiing in winter.

Seattle/Tacoma is kind of a megalopolis with several 'cities' that are all stuck together a la Los Angeles. I stayed at the Bellevue Sheraton last week; nice and well located but spendy--$80/night IIRC. Bellevue itself is a slightly upper-crust neighborhood as befits a location that has decent weather and sits on two lakes east of Seattle. East of Bellevue is Issaquah, smaller and less affluent than bellevue but still nice, and on the road to Snoqualmie Pass (that would eventually take you to godforsaken Spokane). West of Seattle, across the sound on Bainbridge 'Island' and the Olympic peninsula, things are much more working-class, but also a lot less built up...I actually prefer it over there in a lot of ways.

Vancouver' date=' which is in Canada and not Washington, is a really nice city... [/quote']

No argument. There is, however, a city of Vancouver WA, which is right across the Columbia River from Portland OR. I have been to Vancouver BC a number of times and love the city, and did not for a moment confuse the two. I don't think it's quite as bad to compare Vancouver WA with Vancouver BC as it is to compare Paris TX with Paris France, but .... ;)

Thanks. Actually that was one of the first I went to, although I find Castlecops.com to be even better.

Unfortunately, it has reared its ugly head again today. :mad:

This particular malware is the most malicious I've seen to date. I have two users' computers that seem to be the source of the most damage, and removed them, but I still have to figure out a way to permenantly remove it from my servers. This may become another long night... :(

Yuck, I went through this at home some months ago. NONE of the anti-spyware tools could get rid of it. I finally had to sleuth around and check dates/times from about when it started, and narrowed it down to a file which then had to be deleted by mounting the drive elsewhere (being ME, it was virtually impossible to boot into command mode).

No argument. There is' date=' however, a city of Vancouver WA, which is right across the Columbia River from Portland OR. I have been to Vancouver BC a number of times and love the city, and did not for a moment confuse the two. I don't think it's quite as bad to compare Vancouver WA with Vancouver BC as it is to compare Paris TX with Paris France, but .... ;)[/quote']

Only locals have much nice to say about Vancouver. It's sort of the little city that keeps trying. They keep trying to revitalize, trying to attract commerce, always with halfway results. It doesn't seem like a bad place though, and like I said I know people who like it there.

No argument. There is' date=' however, a city of Vancouver WA, which is right across the Columbia River from Portland OR. I have been to Vancouver BC a number of times and love the city, and did not for a moment confuse the two. I don't think it's quite as bad to compare Vancouver WA with Vancouver BC as it is to compare Paris TX with Paris France, but .... ;)[/quote']

My wife and I were going to Vancouver BC for a week just to get away. We kept being asked, Vancouver Wa? :ugly:

There's nothing horrible there, but then there's nothing great there either IMO.

Growing up in Maine, it always distrubed me hearing news about Portland on the World News. They never mention Oregon, just "Portland". Portland is also an extremely large city in Maine.

Only locals have much nice to say about Vancouver. It's sort of the little city that keeps trying. They keep trying to revitalize' date=' trying to attract commerce, always with halfway results. It doesn't seem like a bad place though, and like I said I know people who like it there.[/quote']

They should rename themselves to avoid confusion. "Ultra Vancouver" or "Vancouver DELUXE" or something like that.

Growing up in Maine' date=' it always distrubed me hearing news about Portland on the World News. They never mention Oregon, just "Portland". Portland is also an extremely large city in Maine.[/quote']

Portland Or, was named after Portland, Maine. On a coin flip, it would of been either Boston or Portland. (Or that's how the story goes.)

IIRC, Portland Maine is quite a bit smaller. The metro area of Portland Or is over a million now.