Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Unfortunately' date=' the powers that be in control don't like spending money on "frivalous software that may never be needed" note that is their words not mine.[/quote']

Only a complete fscking idiot would refuse to fund backups. If you want me to tell them for you, give me a phone number to call.

The last outfit I worked for actually had this same problem with shortsightedness. There was absolutely no companywide backup scheme; what backups there were were the result of individuals backing up their own work. I kept submitting proposals for different backup solutions, and every time they would get denied, even after I had cut it down to where the backup 'system' was nothing more than a $4000 DLT drive. But the company did have the cash to buy the CEO a nice company BMW convertible.

Anyway, a year or two after I left I heard they caught some kind of nasty virus that wreaked havoc with all their PCs.

We have antivirus on ALL the PCs at work, as well as 3 different spyware scanners. Symantec runs automatically every night, and when I come in every morning, I run the spyware scans. I run this stuff on my own computer nightly. We also have a daily backup of what went on the day before.

The Asheville location isn't nearly as blessed with diligent IT people (or diligent people, period), and they got a pretty nasty virus a few months ago. My co-worker was over there for a couple of months fixing it, as was my boss.

But they were never disciplined for downloading spyware and viruses.

So in a way, my nice, little company cares about that kind of thing, but holding people accountable if it breaks down is a totally foreign concept.

At least I'm not the one saddled with fixing it if it should break down. No; I just get to deal with the workload when I'm the only one doing the regular work.

*sigh*

Unfortunately, the powers that be in control don't like spending money on "frivalous software that may never be needed" note that is their words not mine.

When I was hired I came from teaching IT, databases, and programming for 7 years, and 12 years overall of computer experience. They hired me from a very large list of candidates for my knowledge and expertise, but as soon as I started talking about changing things, they told me no. :rolleyes: I learned to keep quiet and do what I could until stuff like this happens and then I get to step up and make more suggestions. Unfortunately they don't always see things past the dollar amounts. Oh well.

Yeah, been there, too. In some respects that certainly still happens - in one respect I can't even repeat it (well, I'll PM you...). But mostly we're much better.

Is the company growing? Often there just isn't cash and/or time to go as that happens. Once the growth stabilizes many companies will then consolidate and invest in the future.

Anyway, good luck. I know what a drag that can be.

We have antivirus on ALL the PCs at work, as well as 3 different spyware scanners. Symantec runs automatically every night, and when I come in every morning, I run the spyware scans. I run this stuff on my own computer nightly. We also have a daily backup of what went on the day before.

The Asheville location isn't nearly as blessed with diligent IT people (or diligent people, period), and they got a pretty nasty virus a few months ago. My co-worker was over there for a couple of months fixing it, as was my boss.

But they were never disciplined for downloading spyware and viruses.

So in a way, my nice, little company cares about that kind of thing, but holding people accountable if it breaks down is a totally foreign concept.

At least I'm not the one saddled with fixing it if it should break down. No; I just get to deal with the workload when I'm the only one doing the regular work.

*sigh*

You're...a user...and you do this yourself????

GOD BLESS YOU!

You're...a user...and you do this yourself????

GOD BLESS YOU!

Wha?

Um, thanks. I do deal with SOME consequences if stuff isn't working right, and the IT Department consists of 3 people, so if I didn't do it, no one would.

Also, the person whose job it was to fix this stuff got me into the habit of doing all this stuff every day when I came in. If I don't, my day's all thrown off. Yeah, it's a collective 75 minutes every week, but who knows how much of that I would've spent drumming my fingers on my desk waiting for ARS to load because all the spyware had bogged down our server. I don't even want to think about what it would look like if we got a virus.

Wha?

Um, thanks. I do deal with SOME consequences if stuff isn't working right, and the IT Department consists of 3 people, so if I didn't do it, no one would.

Also, the person whose job it was to fix this stuff got me into the habit of doing all this stuff every day when I came in. If I don't, my day's all thrown off. Yeah, it's a collective 75 minutes every week, but who knows how much of that I would've spent drumming my fingers on my desk waiting for ARS to load because all the spyware had bogged down our server. I don't even want to think about what it would look like if we got a virus.

Back when there were 2 of us alone up in this office, years ago, that never stopped people from just neglecting their technology. And I've had people say outright to me "Why should I run a scan? That's not my job, that's YOUR deparment's job" (Just like it's GM's job to drive them to work every day...) So kudos!

We use Microsoft Antispyware. Other than the existing problems I mentioned it has done a decent job. The nice thing about it is that it can be configured to run automatically everyday, which I setup on every PC, and it has agents that run and watch for downloads.

I get calls regularly from people asking what this "red box that says Blocked" means. LOL It's good to know that it is working.

Alice, if you are running other antispyware, did you know that you can use Windows Task Schedular to schedule it to run for you so that you don't have to do it? You may want to do that and save yourself a little time.

Aw, why'd you have to repost that? Now I want to drive out there and get another kitty!

^ v ^

They're very cute. I think Babysitter looks the most adoptable, but Thumper makes me laugh, with his back legs splayed out like that. There's another one, I think unnamed, who's grey and fat and who looks utterly cuddleable.

The unnamed one is Mrow. He's a great cat, so is Thumper. She doesn't have use of her back legs, so they wind up all over the place.

Babysitter was in prison being taken care of by someone who was being transferred, so she was brought to Best Friends. Still very shy.

Sorry Alice... After another absolutely horrible night... we finally have a handle on it.

Symantec has officially informed us that the fix for the virus we have is to rebuild the servers!!!! :shock::mad:

Thankfully we got the important one rebuilt last night, and the others can be done during the day next week. So my daytime posting will be slow until that is finished, but at least no more late nights for me.

I'm heading over to try to catch up on the game, see you in a bit.

Not surprising that they're having you rebuild a server. Depending on the virus, some stuff may just have to be reinstalled. Easier to just install in many cases. Old Man has good suggestions.

On firing people: Depends on how it got allowed into the network is my view. Of course, I thought the sales weasel that turned off his virus protection and opened up a virus in his email deserved firing. This was in the Antivirus department. Thankfully that particular virus mailed itself out before it started deleting files on the shares so I sprinted across the office and unplugged it before too much damage happened.

And I've dealt with the "don't spend unless it's too late" before as well. Annoying. I'm much happier scooping cat turds.

Alice' date=' if you are running other antispyware, did you know that you can use Windows Task Schedular to schedule it to run for you so that you don't have to do it? You may want to do that and save yourself a little time.[/quote']

We actually tried that. It would open the program, but refuse to run it. That and the drones would close it down while it was running, so it would get out of the way of the timecard icon. Grrrrr.

Sure is slow tonight. Everybody must be either watching Batman or chasing skirts.

Batman, in Josh's and my case.

He enjoyed it a lot more than I did. Can't say why. There was nothing WRONG with it. There were definitely a lot of things that were done really well, but I just couldn't get into it.

I recently was told that at the last part of the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, when USS Washington opened fire on Kirishima with her 16-inch rifles, the elevation angle was 1.5 degrees. If true, then one could have looked through the barrel of one of the guns and seen the target, neglecting that it was nighttime, of course.

Washington closed to ~6000 yards (point blank range for a battleship), so, yeah. Despite that, darkness dictated that the guns be radar-aimed and accuracy was not all that... but the shells that did hit were more than enough to wreck lightly-armored Kirishima (which was originally designated a battlecruiser, not a battleship); her main armor belt was 8" thick compared to an average of ~13" for battleships of that era.

Washington closed to ~6000 yards (point blank range for a battleship)' date=' so, yeah. Despite that, darkness dictated that the guns be radar-aimed and accuracy was not all that... but the shells that did hit were more than enough to wreck lightly-armored Kirishima (which was originally designated a battlecruiser, not a battleship); her main armor belt was 8" thick compared to an average of ~13" for battleships of that era.[/quote']

Your signature ( ...and that's when the destruction began. ) is particularly apt in this context. :)

Washington closed to ~6000 yards (point blank range for a battleship)' date=' so, yeah. Despite that, darkness dictated that the guns be radar-aimed and accuracy was not all that... but the shells that did hit were more than enough to wreck lightly-armored Kirishima (which was originally designated a battlecruiser, not a battleship); her main armor belt was 8" thick compared to an average of ~13" for battleships of that era.[/quote']

I've read that the Admiral in charge of the US battlegroup closed to so close a range because he didn't trust the radar. He was from the old school.

It's possible, since radar was such a newfangled gadget then. Or he might have had a very good understanding of the limitations of radar. The most suspect figure on a radar plot in 1943 would have been range; closing to point blank and then firing on the appropriate bearing would have eliminated that source of uncertainty altogether.

Yep.

Just like Foucault's Pendulum. Lack of proof of any conspiracy is the surest sign of the existence of the conspiracy.

Things have advanced in the last few years. It's evidence of conspiracy, but conspiracy rumors now are promulgated by opposing groups in order to "out" their enemies. So Old Man is not with the Feds; that's what they want you to think.