Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

...and you'll notice the largest integer that can handle is 8000000009' date=' so any prime cooked up by that script will have 10 digits or less. No 11-digit primes coming from [i']that[/i] source!

Poo. I didn't test the thing. :mad: Well, maybe I should code it up and run it in the background.

And besides, I've been through this "11 digit prime" nonsense before! (Grumble, grumbe...that's what I get for letting people know one of my degrees is in mathematics... ;) )

Here's the relevant bits:

Glad you liked it. Can anyone think of a 11-digit prime number of the top of their heads? :)

How many 11 digit prime numbers are there? Enquiring minds want to know.

Off the top of my head? No...but I'll look into it! :D
It's been almost twelve minutes. I think your math geek membership will be revoked if you don't post the answer in the next three minutes.
Geeze, Rachel, this sort of thing isn't something I just happen to have sitting around, y'know! :)

If I'm right, there should be (by a quick & dirty calc) 3,663,002,302 primes with 11 digits.

[Edit] I suppose I should have added that those primes fall in the range of

to

...if I'm right, that is. I didn't do rigorous testing on those limits, and I might have missed a couple of primes in my calc that yielded 3,663,002,302 primes with 11 digits.

No I was requesting just the 11-digit primes.

I didn't want to be caught short when the computer requested one to continue. I could have memorised a few of them so not to be caught off-guard.

Okay, there's a half-dozen; how many of the 3.6 billion did you want?

There. Man, that took longer than it should have. I am still not thinking clearly after the vacation. Takes about 20 seconds per 1000 primes, and I'm sure a bunch of that is i/o, not to mention using the first sucky algorithm that popped into my naive head...

There. Man' date=' that took longer than it should have. I am still not thinking clearly after the vacation. Takes about 20 seconds per 1000 primes, and I'm sure a bunch of that is i/o, not to mention using the first sucky algorithm that popped into my naive head...[/quote']

Hey, don't knock yourself...for doing a quick & dirty job, get it functional first and tweak it later. You don't have to go through the whole exhaustive design-the-algorithm-on-paper-first stuff if you're not going for a large, complex app, one for which execution time is paramount, or for a paying job, right? :)

Doh, I forgot. :stupid:

Y'know, you really should host that script somewhere so whenever someone brings up the 11-digit prime number thing (and it's beginning to look as if it's going to be one of this forums recurring jokes) someone can just point to a link and the person can get all the 11-digit primes they want.

If you need a place to host the script, I've got lots of extra space. :)

Y'know, you really should host that script somewhere so whenever someone brings up the 11-digit prime number thing (and it's beginning to look as if it's going to be one of this forums recurring jokes) someone can just point to a link and the person can get all the 11-digit primes they want.

If you need a place to host the script, I've got lots of extra space. :)

I think I might stop that gag now. Starting to get a bit old and rusty.

But there have been great belly laughs about it too, eh?