Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Rhode Island. Narragansett' date=' East Greenwich and Providence were the 3 places I lived. the first two right on the bay, the city is well... its a NE city - old, cluttered and dirty but still awesome in ways cities out west never can be.[/quote']

Speaking of dirty, cluttered, NE towns, did you know that Lemony Snicket modeled the town in his books after Lowell, MA?

Summer camp - ever go? Like' date=' dislike? I never went and am glad I didn't. My wife did and loved it, became camp counsellor as she continued to go out there.[/quote']

Camp REED, one 10 day session. Lots of fun, but...

Boy scout camp, probably 7 years straight?

Fort Lewis for ADT, one summer . Not quite the same, but... Had some good fun.

Oh. Well, I generally avoid political threads since I know almost exactly as much about American Politics as I do about the sensations of childbirth*, so I can't offer an opinion. Everyone sounds the same to me in those threads, regardless of their political leanings, and the "liberal" and "conservative" labels don't help me because the words mean the same thing in this country.

* I've been told, "It's just like sh!tting a watermelon."

Rhode Island. Narragansett' date=' East Greenwich and Providence were the 3 places I lived. the first two right on the bay, the city is well... its a NE city - old, cluttered and dirty but still awesome in ways cities out west never can be.[/quote']

Yeah. But I'd never move back. (Which could be an issue as parts of our company may move out there, but that's all speculation at this point)

Summer camp - ever go? Like' date=' dislike? I never went and am glad I didn't. My wife did and loved it, became camp counsellor as she continued to go out there.[/quote']

I did go to some camps, but more of a family or school related thing. Frankly, don't remember much of them.

And then there was boot camp. Not quite the same.

You're switching shifts? If you said something about that' date=' and looking forward to it, I guess I managed to miss it somehow, SS. Hope the non-nocturnal schedule agrees with you! :thumbup:[/quote']

I wasn't given much of a choice but am using the force switch to get a better schedule than I normally would have. It is for the better. I get to see my wife more.

I mentioned "the Wolf story" elsewhere, and, though nobody's asked me about it, I still figured I'd drop it here.

Basically, a friend of mine was working at Border's on Cape Cod when he noticed, on the upcoming schedule, someone named "Wolf." He and his co-workers joked about the huge, leather-clad biker guy they expected at the front registers with them, so they got all the "wolf" jokes out of their system ahead of time, so as to keep from getting beaten up.

Then Wolf shows up to work. Wolf is a 5'8", 130 lbs soaking wet blonde girl, with a southern disposition. She smiles sweetly, introduces herself, and wonders what in the world is so funny.

So now that very same friend has vowed that, when the huge leather-clad biker comes in buying books, now he HAS to say to him, "Dude, Wolf's a chick's name." It's his geas.

Heh.

Yes, yes it is. She'd grown up as "Shannon," back when that was the fifth most popular name in the US. She hated never knowing whether the teacher was calling on her or the four other Shannons in her class. So when she got married, she changed her entire name, rather than just her last.

So imagine my confusion, upon answering the phone, to be asked to speak with Shannon.

"There's no Shannon here."

"Are you sure? Shannon ? This is her mother."

"No, you must have the wrong number. Sorry."

I think her mother thought I didn't like her. It took me three months to mention to them over dinner one night, "Someone keeps calling for Shannon . . ."

always been curious.. what goes into quality testing an item like that?

We test to make sure the glues, tapes, elastics, and fabrics will hold together with sufficent strength so they cannot be easily pulled apart. The last thing the company wants to have happen is a baby, who has just learned to grab, to be able to pull the diaper apart. But the mother should have no problem doing so.

The glues should hold the peices together and elastics in place, even when heated, weighted, and under full tension.

The core material should be spread out evenly along the diaper to aborb any fluid, and the core should be sealed so the material not get on the babies skin.

The bond theat holds the tape to the ears should be strong enough so that, when stretched, the ear material tears before the bond gives way.

Then visually, the tapes should be on straight and the graphics and printing not be out of alignment with the cutting knives so that the pictures are full and not looking like a tv with vertical hold problems.

Most of this is really easy to check/test but is complicated to explain.

ANd I cannot go into any hard numbers. That would be considered giving out corp secrets and get me fired.

We test to make sure the glues, tapes, elastics, and fabrics will hold together with sufficent strength so they cannot be easily pulled apart. The last thing the company wants to have happen is a baby, who has just learned to grab, to be able to pull the diaper apart. But the mother should have no problem doing so.

The glues should hold the peices together and elastics in place, even when heated, weighted, and under full tension.

The core material should be spread out evenly along the diaper to aborb any fluid, and the core should be sealed so the material not get on the babies skin.

The bond theat holds the tape to the ears should be strong enough so that, when stretched, the ear material tears before the bond gives way.

Then visually, the tapes should be on straight and the graphics and printing not be out of alignment with the cutting knives so that the pictures are full and not looking like a tv with vertical hold problems.

Most of this is really easy to check/test but is complicated to explain.

ANd I cannot go into any hard numbers. That would be considered giving out corp secrets and get me fired.

You're serious about this aren't you?