Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

:nonp: That isn't sex. That is called m@sturb@tion. Unless you are defining sex as "The sexual urge or instinct as it manifests itself in behavior", and even then you are pushing the definition based on what they are talking about. Nope words aren't important at all... :rolleyes:

Also, why would they be surprised? Apparently they weren't around for late night "phone chat" in the 80s and 90s. :doi:

Oh, and yea, that shouldn't be news worthy.

:nonp: That isn't sex. That is called m@sturb@tion. Unless you are defining sex as "The sexual urge or instinct as it manifests itself in behavior", and even then you are pushing the definition based on what they are talking about. Nope words aren't important at all... :rolleyes:

Also, why would they be surprised? Apparently they weren't around for late night "phone chat" in the 80s and 90s. :doi:

Oh, and yea, that shouldn't be news worthy.

I guess that's what it's doing under Oddly Enough, but I still find it weird that they bother reporting on things like this. And the reporter's surprised tone amused me.

Here's a funny for today. Talk about taking a dig at everybody. ;)

As we all know, when we hit retirement age we come face to face with the fact that it may be time to relocate. The big question is: where? Here are some tips.

You can live in Phoenix, Arizona where.....

1. You are willing to park 3 blocks away because you found shade.

2. You can open and drive your car without touching the car door or the steering wheel.

3. You've experienced condensation on your butt from the hot water in the toilet bowl.

4. You would give anything to be able to splash cold water on your face.

5. You can attend any function wearing shorts and a tank top.

6. "Dress Code" is meaningless at high schools and universities. Picture lingerie ads.

7. You can drive for 4 hours in one direction and never leave town.

8. You have over 100 recipes for Mexican food.

9. The 4 seasons are: tolerable, hot, really hot, and ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!

10. You know that "dry heat" is comparable to what hits you in the face when you open your oven door.

OR....

You can Live in California where...

1. You make over $250,000 and you still can't afford to buy a house.

2. The high school quarterback calls a time-out to answer his cell phone.

3. The fastest part of your commute is going down your driveway.

4. You know how to eat an artichoke.

5. You drive your rented Mercedes to your neighborhood block party.

6. When someone asks you how far something is, you tell them how long it will take to get there rather than how many miles away it is.

You can Live in New York City where...

1. You say "the city" and expect everyone to know you mean Manhattan.

2. You have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building.

3. You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.

4. You think Central Park is "nature,"

5. You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multilingual.

6. You've worn out a car horn.

7. You think eye contact is an act of aggression.

You can Live in Maine where...

1. You only have four spices: salt, pepper, ketchup, and Tabasco.

2. Halloween costumes fit over parkas.

3. You have more than one recipe for moose.

4. Sexy lingerie is anything flannel with less than eight buttons.

5. The four seasons are: winter, still winter, almost winter, and construction.

You can Live in the Deep South where...

1. You can rent a movie and buy bait in the same store.

2."y'all" is singular and "all y'all" is plural.

3. After five years you still hear, "You ain't from ' round here, are Ya?"

4. "He needed killin' " is a valid defense.

5. Everyone has 2 first names: Billy Bob, Jimmy Bob, Mary Sue, Betty Jean, MARY BETH, etc.

You can live in Colorado where...

1. You carry your $3,000 mountain bike atop your $500 car.

2. You tell your husband to pick up Granola on his way home and he stops at the day care center.

3. A pass does not involve a football or dating.

4. The top of your head is bald, but you still have a pony tail.

You can live in the Midwest where...

1. You've never met any celebrities, but the mayor knows your name.

2. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor.

3. You have had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" on the same day.

4. You end sentences with a preposition: "Where's my coat at?"

5. When asked how your trip was to any exotic place, you say, "It was different!"

AND You can live in Florida where...

1. You eat dinner at 3:15 in the afternoon.

2. All purchases include a coupon of some kind -- even houses and cars.

3. Everyone can recommend an excellent dermatologist.

4. Road construction never ends anywhere in the state.

5. Cars in front of you are often driven by headless people.

Having lived in Maine . . .

You can Live in Maine where...

1. You only have four spices: salt, pepper, ketchup, and Tabasco.

Hmm. Yeah, actually. Though Josh's mother uses a good variety in her spaghetti sauce.

2. Halloween costumes fit over parkas.

Well, DUH. If there's snow on the ground, it's common sense that you don't go outside with only one layer.

3. You have more than one recipe for moose.

I never tried moose. In fact, hunting moose is too much of a contact sport. I'm sure in the upper reaches, they have DOZENS of recipes for moose, but in the southern and western regions, moose were those things you didn't want to hit with your car.

4. Sexy lingerie is anything flannel with less than eight buttons.

No, not quite. The MORE buttons, the sexier. ;)

5. The four seasons are: winter, still winter, almost winter, and construction.

This one's WAY off. It's snow season, mud season, black fly season and leaf season. That snow season covers 75% of the year has nothing to do with the passing of time.

Here's a funny for today. Talk about taking a dig at everybody. ;)

As we all know, when we hit retirement age we come face to face with the fact that it may be time to relocate. The big question is: where? Here are some tips.

You can Live in New York City where...

1. You say "the city" and expect everyone to know you mean Manhattan.

2. You have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building.

3. You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.

4. You think Central Park is "nature,"

5. You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multilingual.

6. You've worn out a car horn.

7. You think eye contact is an act of aggression.

6 - done that. current car in fact.

7 - it is. look down. keep quiet. Whatchoo lookin' at?

You can live in Colorado where...

1. You carry your $3,000 mountain bike atop your $500 car.

2. You tell your husband to pick up Granola on his way home and he stops at the day care center.

3. A pass does not involve a football or dating.

4. The top of your head is bald, but you still have a pony tail.

1 - or your $40,000 SUV.

2 - frickin' Boulder... everyone thinks Colorad is buncha hippies. I hate that town.

3 - Passes involve: Open and Closed 'cuz there's 95 feet of snow on it.

4 - danm hippies again... Ma! Get my gun!

Colorado incorporates parts Midwest, parts what's listed...

Having lived in Maine . . .

Hmm. Yeah, actually. Though Josh's mother uses a good variety in her spaghetti sauce.

I think "spices" were most often salt, pepper, and cinnamon, though of course tabasco should count and we did have that on occasion - although that was my father's doing and his family was originally from Missouri/Oklahoma (though they settled in Maine last and my family lived in NH). But, surely, yes, bland food is the hallmark of NE, except for some immigrant pockets, though those are the ones in southern NE, the ones in northern NE have to assimilate, or, I should say, had to in the past. It was really strange to go back to my home town (Dover) and find out that "the projects" were now inhabited by Puerto Ricans instead of the customary white working/non-working class. Although I gathered that was the difference, otherwise the projects, cultural artifacts aside, looked about the same, maybe a little better, and apparently have the same issues with crime and so on.

6. When someone asks you how far something is' date=' you tell them how long it will take to get there rather than how many miles away it is. [/size']

This has also been attributed to New England and the Boston area more specifically, and I would say it's true of New England in general. Though I only know distances in the car era, it woulid be interesting to go back and hera them in the horse era. In fact, mostly, I have no clue how many miles anything is, but I can tell you in time increments how far the various surrounding cities to Dover are, or close enough. Like, I know Boston is about an hour and a half south of Dover, with moderate traffic, but I'm not sure about the miles.

I'm the same way with disatances (having grown up in NE) ... I always give them in time, miles are something people in that place Out West deal with - since they have so damn many of them.

As for bland food... Once you hit Boston and go south it stops being bland. But up in New Hampshire and Vermont ... not a lot of choice was offered. Vermont likes Maple Syrup on stuff more than anything else.

I'm the same way with disatances (having grown up in NE) ... I always give them in time, miles are something people in that place Out West deal with - since they have so damn many of them.

As for bland food... Once you hit Boston and go south it stops being bland. But up in New Hampshire and Vermont ... not a lot of choice was offered. Vermont likes Maple Syrup on stuff more than anything else.

Now living out west, even to the point where I feel I'm more of a westerner than easterner, people out here aren't good at times. When we were first going out to the Gorge, someone told us it was "around 3 or 4 hours." Um, it's more like 6, that's a pretty big difference!

NH is less maple syrup-centric, but of course it's popular there as well.

I measure distance in time it takes to travel, as well. I'm not ogling my odometer as I drive around, after all.

Now living out west, even to the point where I feel I'm more of a westerner than easterner, people out here aren't good at times. When we were first going out to the Gorge, someone told us it was "around 3 or 4 hours." Um, it's more like 6, that's a pretty big difference!

People out here suck at time... it's sad.

What time do we need to be there?

Four.

What time is it?

Three forty five we needed to leave twenty minutes ago.

Though you said it was at four?

AAARRRGGHHHH!!!!!

The idea of travel time is almost a foreign concept, and this from a place where crap is literally hundreds of miles apart. Drives me insane.

But Pie is popular everywhere!! :bounce:

"distance" between points quoted in travel times makes sense for small distances in congested areas. In such cases, you're interested in time intervals almost always. Distance quoted in space units (miles) makes sense in open areas where you can drive at whatever speed you want, and when raw distance itself matters (as in, fuel consumption).

I use both, but which I use is dependent upon context. From one of my workplaces to the other is about a half-hour walk. What's the translate to in terms of miles, meters, or blocks? I'd have to think about that. From Pullman to Seattle is a shade under 300 miles. And there are times when I use mixed units. From Pullman to my house in Seattle is 300 miles plus the time it takes to get from I-90 to my house, which depends on time of day; if you hit town at rush hour, that's pushing an hour, but at midnight it's 10-15 minutes. (The in-city part is almost exactly 10 miles, but that's irrelevant to the auto driver.)

From this I just infer that there are no wide open areas in New England, that's all.