Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Heh. So true! ^ v ^

And that's why I admire you for your brains, Zorn. ;)

But seriously, I'm a Massachusetts driver. I'm used to Massachusetts driving behaviors, and I adjust my driving accordingly. Which is why Asheville driving quirks drive me batty: because I have a harder time adjusting my driving style to suit theirs.

That and there's very little one can do to MAKE the car behind you stop riding your tail. You can turn on your hazards to make them NOTICE you're annoyed about how close they're following, but that doesn't make them pass you or back off unless they're so inclined.

I don't drive, but my wife's observation, which has been echoed and from being a pedestrian in Boston waching out for cars, is that while Boston drivers are semi-maniacal and aggressive, they're predictable, mostly, in those mannerisms. So that makes navigation easier.

That and there's very little one can do to MAKE the car behind you stop riding your tail. You can turn on your hazards to make them NOTICE you're annoyed about how close they're following, but that doesn't make them pass you or back off unless they're so inclined.

I had a bumper sticker that read "If you can read this, I can hit my brakes and sue you." Never did have anyone tailgate me...:think:

That and there's very little one can do to MAKE the car behind you stop riding your tail. QUOTE]

I never had a problem. Well not since they televised the incidents where I leaned out of the car and shot the driver in the car behind; had a friend pop out of the sun roof and use a LAWS rocket; used an AK47 from a flatbed pickup; and tossed lit sticks of dynamite out the window.

Course the FBI wanted a word but it was a price well worth paying.

That's what the flaming oil jet is for.

My father told me that at one time he put an extra spark plug into the end of his exhaust pipe (with the wiring etc. to support it) with a switch on his dashboard. This was in the late 1940's, before any fantasies of catalytic converters. Apparently it made for a nice jet of flame (when seen at night ... in bright day it wasn't very noticeable) emerging from the back of the car, burning all the partially-burned hydrocarbons in the exhaust. He was in his late teens, so it was more of an offensive prank than a back-off warning, of course.

I had a bumper sticker that read "If you can read this' date=' I can hit my brakes and sue you." Never did have anyone tailgate me...:think:[/quote']

I WANT that bumper sticker!

I don't drive' date=' but my wife's observation, which has been echoed and from being a pedestrian in Boston waching out for cars, is that while Boston drivers are semi-maniacal and aggressive, they're predictable, mostly, in those mannerisms. So that makes navigation easier.[/quote']

Yep. Exactly. You see a car change lanes toward you three lanes over from you? Better speed up or slow down, just don't be next to him. And, lo and behold, he swings over into your lane without even pausing.

And people don't run red lights in MA, because too many people are already easing over the stop line as the light is thinking about changing to green. Run a red? You'll get hit, every time, and the driver will be VERY irate with you for being so stupid.

(Around here, I've seen people run a red light after the light has turned green for the cross traffic and it's started to go forward. Eeep! I now look both ways after the light turns green.)

And you can ALWAYS count on Massachusetts drivers to ride too closely in rainy weather. In a way, though, this makes sense. Your tires get a better grip on the road if you ride in the tracks of the car in front of you. Which do YOU prefer: danger of rear-ending someone at lower speeds (because they also drop their speed by 5 - 10 mph below the limit), or danger of hydroplaning, where who knows where you'll end up?

The rains resumed here for the season in Seattle, for the first time since July. Needless to say, there were traffic snarls this morning. People seem to forget most of their adverse driving skills during the summers here, to a far greater extent than other places I've lived.

Snow doesn't fall often in Seattle (and when it does there's usually very little of it), so traction tires aren't an issue. When we do get a lot of snow -- once every three-four years -- the place is paralyzed, though.

We just tend to go two months without rain (from mid-July to mid-September), and that two months is enough for road oil to accumulate and people to get into bad habits.

. . . Gotta be tough for paramedics' date=' police, fire brigades and whatnot.[/quote']

Oh, they're allowed to have snow tires, but are supposed to take them off if there isn't any snow on the road. I'm pretty sure school buses MUST have snow tires, because I saw school in session in the middle of blizzards.