Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Exactly. If they reduced ammunition carried to a couple dozen rather than a couple dozen thousand' date=' then there would be a lot more movement and aiming and a lot less suppressive fire.[/quote']

Wasn't that what the Marine Corps said about switching from the Springfiend to the Garand in 1942? The ability of the leathernecks to hold of the banzai charges on Guadalcanal changed their tune pretty quickly.

OTOH, the ability of the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq to both maneuver and aim fire an supress by rapid fire, depending on the encounter points more to training IMO than than hardware.

Wasn't that what the Marine Corps said about switching from the Springfiend to the Garand in 1942? The ability of the leathernecks to hold of the banzai charges on Guadalcanal changed their tune pretty quickly.

Did you even read what I posted? I'm not arguing semi auto vs. auto, I'm arguing that player carried ammo be reduced from 3000 to 30.

Did you even read what I posted? I'm not arguing semi auto vs. auto' date=' I'm arguing that player carried ammo be reduced from 3000 to 30.[/quote']

Sure I did. I was arguing concept rather than pure scale. Also humor. Jeez, I didn't realize the grumpy avatar was so life like.;)

Well' date=' logically, we already know the limit of using riflemen in the presence of lots of firepower is early WW1. That's sort of what paintball is doing, minus the 42-cm mortars and hundreds of thousands of KIAs.[/quote']

Mmm...paint mortars...

I could probably throw paintball ammo with my trebuchet, though I don't know that it would hit hard enough to break them open on impact. It is just a table-sized model. :)

It depends on what it hits. In my experience' date=' paintballs are extremely fragile unless they strike their intended target. Then they become indestructible.[/quote']

I keep getting tempted to pick some up and test them. :) The normal ammo I use is either 1" iron spheres or 1.25" wooden ones.

I don't think "fixed" is really that much easier to say than "neutered". And neutered has the advantaged of being more descriptive.

And as I keep saying, I don't have a problem with the practice. I just think calling it "fixing" a pet is silly. I've thought it was silly ever since I first had it explained to me what was meant by it, and I have yet to see any reason to stop thinking it is silly.

Neuter is what you do to males. Spay for females. Just saying neuter confuses the issue. Some people say Altered which is gender neutral again, but has other meanins as well.

Yes, oil based paint was a pita. Paying ten cents a bal was worse, but you could play all day on a bag 250. Now, during practice I can easily shoot a case and a half (3000).

Good paint, that I would use at a National Event should break when dropped from waist level. There is a very fine line. You always want it to break on your target but never in your breach or barrel.

XBall is a timed event. It is scored differently. You don't have points for first pull, hanging, eliminations, or live players at the end of the game. You get one point for hanging the flag (center flag).

There are 2 twenty minute halves. When a point is scored a two minute timer begins. When that buzzer blows, the next game of the match begins. There is coaching and spectators can yell whatever they want. It really helps live spectating to let them coach (or counter coach) players.

Also, in the PSP guns can ramp to 15 bps. In the NXL (National XBall League, the pros), they are full auto to 15bps.

there is a 16 foot X in the middle of the field and bunkers usually et smaller as they go back to each endline. It creates extremely fast games with people playing defensively one of many strategies depending on field set-up.

You don't have one for one penalties in XBall either. There is a penalty box and you play men down when caught for infractions (yes guys come out in the middle of a game from the penalty box like hockey).

Still, paintball is hard to follow live on TV. Things happen so fast even announcers can't keep up with it.

The mess and expense of paintball are the biggest reasons I switched to airsoft. Not that paintball isn't fun' date=' of course.[/quote']

IMO airsoft defeats the purpose of why I play paintball. When I was a kid we played 'guns' with our fingers. There were endless complaints of whether or not 'you' could of hit 'me' from that distance or angle. Then, we started using Red Rider bbguns. That helped a lot, but there was still the arguments because you really couldn't tell anyway.

Paintball changed that. When you were hit, a big glob of paint showed on you. Ended (some) of the arguments and the fun could continue.

Good paint' date=' that I would use at a National Event should break when dropped from waist level. There is a very fine line. You always want it to break on your target but never in your breach or barrel.[/quote']

Sounds like the good stuff at least should break when shot from my trebuchet, and shouldn't break upon firing.

*is tempted to pick some up*

:D

IMO airsoft defeats the purpose of why I play paintball. When I was a kid we played 'guns' with our fingers. There were endless complaints of whether or not 'you' could of hit 'me' from that distance or angle. Then, we started using Red Rider bbguns. That helped a lot, but there was still the arguments because you really couldn't tell anyway.

Paintball changed that. When you were hit, a big glob of paint showed on you. Ended (some) of the arguments and the fun could continue.

That is always the number one issue paintballers have with airsoft, and all I can say is that in ten years of off-and-on airsoft, I've never seen a cheater firsthand and only heard of a couple. I have no explanation, that's just how it is. Even in games that are played for prizes. Cheating just isn't a big issue.