Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I was born into Red Sox Nation, so I'm one of those insufferable baseball fans now.

It's really funny to watch my mother listen to the games, though. She gets really pissed off, to the point of forgetting how to talk. And, as she listens on an earpiece, usually it's just random outbursts.

I was born into Red Sox Nation, so I'm one of those insufferable baseball fans now.

It's really funny to watch my mother listen to the games, though. She gets really pissed off, to the point of forgetting how to talk. And, as she listens on an earpiece, usually it's just random outbursts.

Sounds like it could be mistaken for Tourette syndrome... :nonp::)

Easily. That's what my father jokingly calls it. "Baseball Tourette's." It's most alarming when he's just come upstairs, where she's knitting in her comfy chair while watching Jeopardy!, and he doesn't realize the game has started. At least, not until she bursts out with, "Goddamn it, don't put HIM out there! You guys SUCK with pinch hitters!"

I know baseball is supposed to be the iconic American sport' date=' but it just bores the living daylights out of me. It's almost as boring as soccer.[/quote']

I generally prefer just sitting around watching the grass grow. It's about as exciting as watching baseball, but it has the advantage of not costing as much. ;)

Having played both baseball and soccer (not all that well in either case, of course), I can watch those with no difficulty unless it's a truly bad game. For the life of me, however, I cannot fathom why anyone would ever bother to watch tennis or golf. Play them, perhaps; but watch? I guess that's less painful than soap operas, but washing pots & pans has more intrinsic entertainment value.

Having played both baseball and soccer (not all that well in either case' date=' of course), I can watch those with no difficulty unless it's a truly bad game. For the life of me, however, I cannot fathom why anyone would ever bother to watch tennis or golf. Play them, perhaps; but watch? I guess that's less painful than soap operas, but washing pots & pans has more intrinsic entertainment value.[/quote']

I can and have enjoyed playing both baseball and soccer, and even tennis for that matter. Heck I've even enjoyed watching tennis matches upon occasion, though it is generally only interesting to watch for me when it is between two very good players.

Golf on the other hand I just don't understand.

That was actually the ultimate in TV boredom, to me. Before "100 channels and there's nothing on," there was (in my house, at least), "The only channels that are coming in have GOLF on them!"

That was usually my cue to either go take a nap or to get out of the house.

I believe my cable bill (or rather' date=' my total lack thereof) speaks for itself on that matter.[/quote']

Heck, I don't even watch broadcast tv. Any shows I watch are on DVD, which means that I don't even have to skip the commercials. :)

Well, except for the ones at the start of the disk. :mad:

I could really do without those, myself. Though I was rather pleased when I found out that the Cinebarre (a high-concept movie theater) didn't show commercials before movies. That stupid "The Twenty" thing was driving me nuts. It was the only place where I couldn't filter out commercials.

I could really do without those' date=' myself. Though I was rather pleased when I found out that the Cinebarre (a high-concept movie theater) didn't show commercials before movies. That stupid "The Twenty" thing was driving me nuts. It was the only place where I couldn't filter out commercials.[/quote']

On a DVD there is usually SOME way to skip the commercials. In my experience either fast forward, skip forward or just hitting the menu button will work. Often only one of them.

It's different for each, but yeah, skipping the tracks will usually take care of it.

I was a bit taken aback when the BBC discs I'd rented came with commercials that couldn't be skipped. I was like, "England has ubiquitous marketing schemes, too? Wha?"

The kittens went back to the shelter this afternoon. This bunch, as people-oriented and affectionate as they are, ought to go quick.

I expect Cousin Hobbes will be heartbroken to have them gone. Siegfried and Felix will be annoyed, but only because there won't be any more opportunities to steal kitten food.