Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

We'll see how soon we take in another litter. These guys were a delight; of course' date=' whenever a cat starts purring at you when you walk into the room, that's a major pick-up.[/quote']

Or runs to greet you at the door when you get home... :)

The young cat that I rescued after having been abandoned by a neighbor of mine, now runs to greet me. My old cat used to do the same, but he's getting very old and doesn't move as well as he used to (though he can still get around at a walking pace).

My new cat also *insists* in playing fetch -- even to the point of digging paper towels out of the trash and bringin them to me to wad up and throw. Which she chases down and brings back to me. Again, and again, and again. I've gotten faily good at throwing things back-handed down the hallway while I sit at my computer.

I wish I had a video camera to tape this -- I would put it on YouTube. Especially when she gets one in the bathtub and chases it 'round and 'round in there.

Risu was a found kitty. She was yowling outside our window, begging for food. When we brought some out, she came RUNNING up to us, and allowed Josh to pick her up. Once she was inside, we saw she was infested with fleas and half-starved.

Some of the neighbors in the trailer park had been letting mother cat and her newborn kittens out every morning, and not counting how many came in an hour or so later. This one somehow got separated. Two weeks later, all of her littermates vanished. I don't know what happened to them, but I'm hoping they were given away to warm and loving homes.

Risu, meanwhile, is our little spoiled princess. Whenever I'm at the computer, she'll come up and climb into my lap. She's quite affectionate, and curls up between me and Josh at night. Then she purrs loud enough to make the whole bed shake. It's so cute. ^ v ^

Between the Freedom Kitties, Star is the active, playful one. She demands playtime every day. Usually it's OddHat who plays with her. She weighs 8. Stripes asks OddHat for food each time she wakes up. Usually he gives her cat treats if it's not dinner time. After she eats she curls up on the couch and demands petting. OddHat pets her. Then she falls asleep and the whole cycle starts again. She is more OddHat's cat although she loves me too. She weighs 12.

Star spends the night on my foot or behind my knees. Stripes curls up at the foot of the bed. If I'm squirming too much, Star may sleep on OddHat's foot. Often they curl up together on the bed, but fat Stripes spends much more time sleeping than Star.

We have lots of stairs in our house which they chase each other up and down. And most of the time they greet us at the door. Stripes is especially glad to see OddHat.

Stripes is especially glad to see OddHat.
The reason most likely is that Stripes 1) wants food 2) wants to be petted, 3) and fall asleep near Oddhat 4) because Stripes loves Oddhat. Most likely from Stripes pov in that order too.

... And my wife brought home a momcat who should pop in later this week. Momcat likes people, but clearly wants something we aren't giving her, and is complaining about it. My guess is that she wants out-of-doors, but that's a no-no at this point.

... And my wife brought home a momcat who should pop in later this week. Momcat likes people' date=' but clearly wants something we aren't giving her, and is complaining about it. My guess is that she wants out-of-doors, but that's a no-no at this point.[/quote']

Or it may be just that she has a favourite place to litter and she can't get there currently. With any luck she'll get over it soonish. :)

Yeah, I'm hoping it's the litter thing, though she had her choice of two boxes (one with old-fashioned clay sand, the other with the compostable grass pellet stuff). It was rough trying to sleep last night.

What's odd is that although momcat is clearly very well socialized, she doesn't like soft surfaces. She'll stay on the bed if you pick her up and pet her there, but once you're done she gets down. And in the bathroom (where she gets penned in), her spot of choice is linoleum in the corner, not on a towel, bathroom rug, or carpet-lined cat play structure. If someone trained her to stay off furniture, I'm impressed; I've never seen a cat have that training 'take'.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's the litter thing, though she had her choice of two boxes (one with old-fashioned clay sand, the other with the compostable grass pellet stuff). It was rough trying to sleep last night.

What's odd is that although momcat is clearly very well socialized, she doesn't like soft surfaces. She'll stay on the bed if you pick her up and pet her there, but once you're done she gets down. And in the bathroom (where she gets penned in), her spot of choice is linoleum in the corner, not on a towel, bathroom rug, or carpet-lined cat play structure. If someone trained her to stay off furniture, I'm impressed; I've never seen a cat have that training 'take'.

I love the imprecise nature of English. :o What I actually meant was litter as in to give birth to a litter of young. Lots of animals (including cats) get used to giving birth in a particular place, and get restless and/or annoyed if they don't have access to it while they are pregnant.

... And my wife brought home a momcat who should pop in later this week. Momcat likes people' date=' but clearly wants something we aren't giving her, and is complaining about it. My guess is that she wants out-of-doors, but that's a no-no at this point.[/quote']

Does she have any Siamese blood in her? I've noticed that my Herc, who is either a quarter or half Siamese, will yowl his head off for absolutely no reason, other than to hear himself talk. I've sometimes hurtled out of the bathroom in a panic, thinking he's in pain or dying or something, to see him just sitting in the kitchen, calm as can be.

Then I tend to favor archermoo's interpretation. She wants a good, safe place to have her litter, and will cry at you until she has it. Either that, or she's scared, having moved to a strange and unfamiliar place just before she's due. The avoidance of the bed or anyplace comfortable lends some credence to that theory; she doesn't want to be anywhere where she can't bolt in an instant to find someplace "safe."

Star likes to yowl too. She is part Siamese as all short haired black cats are. She will go down to the foyer and yowl. OddHat says "Star, we're up here." and she'll run up. Then she may run down and start again. Maybe it is just to hear herself talk.

If there's Siamese in her' date=' it's sure not obvious. She seems to be a tortie longhair ... orange, black, grey, white.[/quote']

My wife's cat, Miss Peaches, a little six pound tortie took up singing in the bathroom at 3am.

I find Siamese have a tendency to talk more, but it's certainly not exclusive.

We took in a FIV+ cat from a shelter in Colorado over the weekend. Big Orange male, very friendly. He kept me up Sunday night with constant chatter in the hotel room. Made the drive back the next morning more entertaining though.

I'd only recently heard that orange tomcats are rare' date=' and that was in a work of science fiction. Is it true?[/quote']

Female Orange cats are rare. I forget the percentage and they're not sterile. Just rare.

Male Tortiseshells are 1 in 3,000 and almost always sterile since they're xxy.