Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I got to watch a video of an actual birth in high school. It smacked that idea of childbirth as a beautiful experience RIGHT out of my head.

I didn't have the birth video experience until after I finished college, actually, but my perspective is quite different, of course. Actually doing the birth coaching thing got me new insight into the power of anesthesia, though.

It really varies strongly from individual to individual. So don't get it pre-emptively; wait until you need it. They can & do wear off, and the anesthesiologist is a busy man, so it will, of course, wear out at the Wrong Time.

True.

And girls are good at the grossing-out game. I know better than to challenge any other females in that one. The very act of innocently picking up a cup of yogurt has spurred some very interesting conversations amongst groups of women I've been around.

Has OB/GYN-related medical science come that far in the last 10 years? I remember learning in high school (for a Child Development course - the same one that shared the aforementioned video) that, once a woman has a C-Section, she can't follow it up with a vaginal delivery, because of scar tissue.

I would've liked to have not seen the epesiotomy, but it was almost a comedy of errors. The woman across the hall was having her 3rd child, and it shoudl have gone quickly, and so right before that the doctor came in our room, checked my wife, and her eyes got very big: "You're fully dilated. DON'T PUSH." Then she ran back across the hall, got that one taken care of, and came back 15-20 minutes later.

On entry, she looked around, and said, "No nurse." (Because the nurses were, of course, in the other room, cleaning up, etc.) "I can deliver a baby with no nurse." So I was there, tying up her scrubs, moving trays of implements, adjusting lights, etc. Not touching anything sterile, but doing grunt work in addition to my coach duties.

The boy (as it turned out) had his cord wrapped around his head & arm, so during contractions the fetal heart rate monitor was taking big extended dips. She was watching that monitor, I was watching that monitor, and watching her watch that monitor, and trying to keep my wife going. And then without looking, the doctor shot her hand back to an instrument tray and seized a cutting implement, and I knew what was about to happen, and could not move fast enough to avoid seeing what happened immediately after that.

But, everyone came out OK, so I have no real complaints.

Yeah. If/when, there will be drugs. There will be drugs injected STRAIGHT into my spine, the SECOND I'm in that hospital bed.

I have heard of women who insisted on a "natural" birth without drugs. I think such women are crazy.

My mom had her first three children without benefit of drugs. Not due to any desire to not have them, but due to not being in labor long enough for it to be possible. Heck, I was the third and I was the first to be born in an actual delivery room. First two were born on the way there.

And I suppose my first statement isn't wholly accurate. She did have drugs on the third birth (me). I was induced. But it went so fast after her getting the drugs to induce me that there wasn't time for painkillers. :)

Hmm' date=' never read any of the "All Creatures Great & Small" books by that English vet, did you? Seems like that happened to someone's cow every single book.[/quote']

No, I haven't.

Josh and I listened to The Time Traveler's Wife on audio. In the book, there are some grisly scenes of miscarriage, along with a medical explanation for why it keeps happening. I'm rather surprised I was able to drive straight during those descriptions. Essentially, they breed teleporting mice, and the mother mice keep dying, because the fetuses keep teleporting out, then back . . . and missing by a couple of millimeters.

I used to think nothing could gross me out. Then I started hearing about all the things that could go wrong during pregnancy and childbirth.

I once worked for a multimedia company that did a series of instructional CDs for OB-GYNs. Oh, the horror. You don't even need pregnancy or childbirth for things to go very...wrong. I'm quite glad I'm a guy.

I once worked for a multimedia company that did a series of instructional CDs for OB-GYNs. Oh' date=' the horror. You don't even need pregnancy or childbirth for things to go very...wrong. I'm quite glad I'm a guy.[/quote']

Oh, there are things that can go very...wrong for guys too. External genetalia aren't particularly...safe.

Oh yeah . . .

I think the first thing to actually get a gross-out reaction from me was the story of my sister's Procedure Gone Wrong. Her yearly exam found some irregular cells, so she went in for an inpatient procedure to remove and test them. The scalpel slipped.

The only way I've ever gotten Josh to give blood is by telling him I would if I could, if not just to make up for the many, many pints my sister needed transfused.